#1 PCS_Committee

PCS_Committee
  • Committee

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:49 PM

logo.png

Important notice to all Fish keepers
Endorsed by The Perth Cichlid Society

Cichlid keeping and the environment

It is the duty of all hobbyists and the Society to safeguard the environment from the release of Cichlids into our rivers and lakes.
Please do not dispose of unwanted fish or aquatic plants into Australian waterways.
Teach your colleagues and children to respect the environment through responsible actions.

The Perth Cichlid Society will take care of any unwanted fish you wish to dispose of.

PM any committee member

Or drop the fish into one of the participating Aquarium stores (below).

Your responsible actions will ensure that Cichlid keepers are seen by the government and the public as
environmentally trustworthy and ensure that our hobby can be enjoyed by future generations.

The following stores have agreed to be drop off points:

Aquotix
Morley Aquariums
Vebas Aquariums

More shops to be added!

#2 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:57 PM

This is such a GREAT idea biggrin.gif

Hopefully people really utilise this.

#3 ado

ado
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:00 PM

Great idea. I'm in full support.

How realistic is the suggestion of putting a small ad in local papers to the effect of the above?
I realise that it might be expensive, (no idea how much).

The members of this forum are somewhat experienced fishkeepers, or at least have with contact of experienced fishkeepers.

Judging by the amount of releases that do occur, there seems to be a significant proportion of people who are unaware of the dangers this poses. My guess is that most of this is caused by inexperienced fishkeepers who think they are doing the right thing, (eg fish was a gift etc)

An ad to the 'general public' would possibly add to the good image we are trying to promote.

Just some thoughts...

ado

#4 sLy

sLy
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:06 PM

just a question, what about hybrid fish ?

#5 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:08 PM

Sly, I reckon the same thing will apply... I'm sure PCS would like hybrids handed in rather than get dumped into our waterways...

#6 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE (ado @ Mar 11 2009, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How realistic is the suggestion of putting a small ad in local papers to the effect of the above?
........................ An ad to the 'general public' would possibly add to the good image we are trying to promote.

A very good suggestion there Ado.

#7 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:14 PM

Any fish can be handed in.

Tony

#8 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:24 PM

This is a great initiative and I'm glad to be associated, or rather, part of a club that is showing that it thinks beyond its "core business" and how that business effects other aspects of our world. And great idea ado to publicise this intiative beyond the usual circles.

It may not be necessary to pay for an ad in the paper. If a well written PCS press release is forwarded to the local paper they may pick it up as a good news story particularly if they think it will gather local interest. I'd say this could be fairly easy to do for the area where the brasiliensis was found a couple of years ago and perhaps even where local environment groups are quite active in regards to waterways. I've been involved in writing press releases through my work before and would be happy to help if the committee want to go that way.

#9 STEVEGREEN

STEVEGREEN
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:42 PM

your a legend Tony

Bravo

Cheers
Steve Green

#10 sajica

sajica

Quiz Meister 2016 & 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:08 PM

I reckon you could contact A Current Affair...... they love to run Puff pieces like this.... That will really help to get the message out

#11 Blackcats

Blackcats
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:55 PM

I fully support this initiative.

Good to see the club taking a responsible position and being proactive on this issue considering the very real threat to the hobby from proposed legislative changes.

Harry

#12 ado

ado
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:05 AM

If a well written PCS press release is forwarded to the local paper

That's even a better idea. Although we are all responsible fish keepers, I think it is pretty important that we shamelessly promote that idea as much as we can.

Big topic news like this is usually right up Current Affairs alley. That would be a huge bonus.
Just let me know when it's on, coz I don't normally watch stuff like that.

Ado

#13 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:13 AM

Very positive and supportive responses from members.. Makes me very proud to be part of this club... smile.gif

#14 ado

ado
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:15 AM

the very real threat to the hobby from proposed legislative changes.

While I agree that the proposed legislative changes are a threat to the hobby, we cannot ignore the very real threat to Australian waterways and ecosystem due to feral species.

An interesting, and in my view, balanced review paper by Mark Lintermans, Human-assisted dispersal of alien freshwater fish in Australia found here

PM me if you cannot get access.

Perhaps I'm going slightly off topic - My apologies

Ado

#15 Blackcats

Blackcats
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE (ado @ Mar 12 2009, 08:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While I agree that the proposed legislative changes are a threat to the hobby, we cannot ignore the very real threat to Australian waterways and ecosystem due to feral species.

Agreed. wink.gif

Very interesting and comprehensive paper.

Its a bit alarming to read that of the twelve means identified for the human-assisted dispersal of alien freshwater fish in Australia the Aquarium industry (retail/hobbyists) appear to be the biggest culprits.
Obviously when changes to legislation are considered then this is the area that will be first in the firing line.

There will be a long hard road ahead, especially when politicians get involved and see tighter legislation as the means to eradicate the problem.
They will take their information from research papers such as this one.

The paper calls for the development of targeted and well resourced public education programmes to inform specific parties such as aquarists, anglers, and aquaculturists as well as the public in general of the issues.

Its been mentioned on here before that self regulation is needed before rules are enforced onto the trade/hobby and as a first step I think the proactive approach of the PCS and participating LFS can only been seen as a positive contribution to the solution of this problem.

Cheers

Harry

#16 Warby

Warby
  • Validating

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:49 PM

it was indeed a very well researched and interesting paper.. slightly disturbing that the author seems (to me atleast, correct me if others believe im wrong) to be pointing towards reducing the number of fish on the allowable imports list to around 100, and (again I may be misreading but this is how it came across to me) citing that LFS only stock around that number of species almost seems to be used as an argument for this number of allowable species being acceptable..

BUT.. more importantly... it is disappointing, even if not overly surprising, to read that our hobby is responsible for the majority of alien fish populations in Australia. Education, not legislation, along with initiatives such as that mentioned in this thread will be the key to solving the problem. My congratulations to PCS and the associated LFS' for endorsing and conducting such a program, hopefully it will be well recieved and taken advantage of by the community.

My only question... what happens to those fish handed in? Might I suggest they be auctioned (or sold at a set price *shrugs*) in the classified forum and all proceeds go to PCS? or to assist further with showing what good environmental stewardship PCS practices, part proceeds to PCS and the remainder to WWF or similar? Obviously this would only apply to healthy, non-hybridised, fish with the remainder destroyed/adopted/whatever as required...

#17 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:49 PM

My only question... what happens to those fish handed in? Might I suggest they be auctioned (or sold at a set price *shrugs*) in the classified forum and all proceeds go to PCS

Thanks for all the supportive comments. This is a service we are offering just to try and lessen the risk that someone may release an unwanted fish into the waterways they have somewhere to go. We are not looking for it to make any kind of income from the service.

Obviously this would only apply to healthy, non-hybridised, fish with the remainder destroyed/adopted/whatever as required...

We will do our best to best to find all fish new homes.

#18 STEVEGREEN

STEVEGREEN
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:07 PM

i have no problems helping rehouse healthy tang's such as tricoti , melanogenys , kilesa etc etc

i know , i know im too kind , but i just like to help people

it's a flaw in my character tongue.gif

Cheers
Steve Green

#19 Warby

Warby
  • Validating

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE (Fish Antics @ Mar 12 2009, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for all the supportive comments. This is a service we are offering just to try and lessen the risk that someone may release an unwanted fish into the waterways they have somewhere to go. We are not looking for it to make any kind of income from the service.

We will do our best to best to find all fish new homes.

Fair enough smile.gif Definately a terrific initiative and hopefully this may encourage other clubs (if there are any other aquarium clubs in WA? lol) to follow suit and show the community at large that aquarists care about the environment and the potential impact our hobby may have upon it.

#20 Sazabi

Sazabi
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:42 AM

It's a good idea, I'm tired of receiving excess baby kois (garden quality) from some koi breeders and finding homes for them

PS do not PM me for free kois

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users