Water Parametres

a fish died is water the prob

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 emilleinoz

emilleinoz
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:11 PM

I have a 55 gallon tank with 14 mbuna cichlids of about 3 to 4 cm. The filter is the small external eheim canister. Also internal crappy filter. I do 10 % water changes per week. My one fish died and i am not sure what it could be. I have quite a lot water agitation on surface

Could it be temperature as my tank is at 30'degrees
Ph is 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate is high at 30 plus

Not sure why nitratr is high as the fish are small and filter is mature. I used to be sufficient for 2 large oscars

I have changed 10% water tonight

What is the reason is it nitratrs?

Other 13 fish seem happy active and hungry

#2 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:14 PM

What layout do you have in the tank? Rocks? If so, lift the rocks up and look for any dead fish or built up debris which can be polluting the tank. I would clean the internal filter with tank water in a bucket too (could be a little nitrate factory). That and a couple of partial water changes in the next couple of days.

#3 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:17 PM

Nitrate is not high. Your water changes are small so nitrate has been building slowly.
Nitrate is the end product of the filtration process... you could run an fx6 on the tank your nitrate wont change. If the filter was an issue you would have ammonia or nitrite.
Temp is high but shouldnt cause a death necessarily. Temp should be be about 25 - 27.

#4 emilleinoz

emilleinoz
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:56 PM

Thanks guys. I have limestone rock and have oyster shells but no dead fish or much debri. I will clean internal filter. I was wondering if i dont have too much filtration thus acting as factories. Is oyster sheĺls a problem?
I will do another 5% water change now

#5 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:00 PM

Cant imagine that they are. If you want to keep nitrate lower just make sure filters are cleaned occasionally, substrate is cleaned regularly including around and under tank decor and change a bit more water each week. Weekly water testing is the only way of determining adequate percentage. As a minimum though, up it to 20 - 25%.

#6 emilleinoz

emilleinoz
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:09 PM

Thanks malawiman i will clean my filters this weekend and substrate and do bigger % changes. What do you do with temp of water changes in winter? Do you let your water stand for hours? My new water considerably lower the tank temp...

#7 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:49 PM

No straight in from the hose.
Not the best but it wont hurt either.
The temp difference will hardly be noticed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users