Beware: Shrimp Back On The Menu!

Shrimp

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#21 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:56 PM

I feel disgusted, the fisheries are raiding people for tiny harmless shrimp while so many people down fishing are catching loads of undersize fish and they are nowhere to be seen!

#22 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:08 PM

What a lousy job these guys have... ok there are pearl cichlids around Perth, so what, our rivers are so munted and the sustainable future of most native species jeopardized by agriculture and long term degradation... How in hell can they justify targeting ornamental shrimp and fish in the name of bio protection?
what has a greater impact? Pearl cichlids or agricultural run off??? The only fish I see really successfully surviving is gambusia and I dont know a hobbyist that ever wanted to keep gambusia as anything other than feeders!
Want to waste less tax payer money and have the same impact on the environment and native fish species fisheries? Quit your poxy jobs and bugger off to centrelink!

#23 smirq

smirq
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:02 AM

Some of my comments in the survey - 

The risk of GMO proliferation by agribusiness is far greater than the risk of ornamental aquarium species kept by responsible citizens. Comparative industry profits allow disproportionate lobbying. Educating the citizenry and infringement for proven contamination should be prioritized over using a heavy-handed approach against perceived potential threats. Forced eradication of responsibly contained species which would not survive in the wild (i.e. species requiring a careful maintenance of a controlled and contained captive habitat not otherwise present in Australia's environment) is a waste of resources and damages the government's relationship with citizen groups. I expect the government to have the expertise to not undertake irrelevant biosecurity activities. Where they lack this expertise, building relationships with relevant citizen groups would be beneficial.

More public education and government expertise/collaboration with stakeholders is required. The recent operations targeting aquatic species needs review to ensure targeting is justified. Methods of addressing risks could be handled more constructively, and communication with stakeholders increased. Public education should be a priority, and the justification behind operational activities made transparent.

#24 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:04 AM

Bummer. I wonder why perth has been singled out as the target. This whole rubbish was started through daff, a federal body. It seems fine for all other states & even major wholesalers to deal in them, but god help you if west of the border. Jealous that our gst supports them all i suppose.

#25 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:09 AM

An obvious case of small man syndrome.

#26 tunagirll

tunagirll
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:17 AM

Can I swear on this forum? I really want to. They're a bunch of louse-faced monkey arses.

#27 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:40 AM

Well said Smirq.....

I started supplying native Australian shrimp for the purpose of encouraging people to keep natives, not exotics. Try to teach people that shrimp need a good healthy environment - this understanding can then be expanded to realise that our natural waterways are needed to be cared for - I was trying to do the right thing.
These shrimp were given to us - I was under the understanding that we did not need to keep the names and addresses of people that dump unwanted or excess fish on us - we take in any unwanted fish - complies with the "do not dump that fish" policy/program that fisheries just recently launched. But since I did not have paperwork/receipts with the name and address of the person who gave us his shrimp, and we did not have a translocation approval for those shrimp (not that they would have given us one anyway) they confiscated them.... And the fact they are freshwater shrimps - the above technicalities were just a bonus for them... Regardless - they came to exterminate the shrimp due to an internal policy that they will not publish on their website or discuss with us.

#28 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:48 AM

i can see a lot of aggravation and annoyed people - this in itself will lead to action of some sort... and im thinking people are just gonna dump their shrimp into any nearby waterway as what probably happened previously - i have been told cherry shrimp are now established in 2 maybe 3 waterways ??? obviously fisheries dont seem to care one bit about this - as there has been no education given to the shops to distribute to hobbyists about shrimp....

FFS if someone from fisheries reads this put something in black and white and educate hobbyists everywhere so we all know the right thing to do....

i had cherry shrimp a long time ago {before first raids} and they were actually very useful in an aquarium as they cleaned and ate the majority of problem algae in tanks and when they bred in large numbers - they provided excellent feeders for a wide variety of other aquarium fish...

since then i have got some {native} glass shrimp out of neighbours dam but they just dont clean and breed in tanks... so now im always trying to remove problem algae by hand which is a never ending job... 

i dont frequent gumtree but if thats true that all sorts of shrimp are being sold on there... one must feel that the above shop is being singled out for harassment and really it has nothing to do with the "biosecurity risk" of shrimp getting into WA water ways at all.... 

this is more the reason why PCS as a club needs to be pro-active in finding out whats right and wrong in regards to shrimp and promote the right thing to do.... shrimps today .... tomorrow its cichlids.... then its too late... wish you had of stood up on shrimp issue when you no longer have any cichlds :)

#29 Bombshocked

Bombshocked
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:44 AM

OH I TOLD U ALL THEY WEREN'T OVER IT.....

Wow im really sorry to hear about this ollie that sucks mate, im shaking atm cant beleive this is bullshit, thats so freaking sad looks like everyone in wa should just forget about doing anything but gold fish..

sad day... i dont think that we as hobbyists in wa showed we got the message that they "fisheries" try'ed to send across, NO SHRIMP

dont get all crazy and hate on me for this statement i just think everyone here thought fisheries had forgotten about it... hey we even had about 5 people literally claiming that fisheries had moved on.... that they were to poor....

people were selling shrimp on gumtree again and im sure that pissed them off heaps

although they are native shrimp i suppose it comes from the old rule of if there wasn't a commercial license given to collect them ever then they were originally obtained illegally?

i fear this is just beginning and there about to really crack down on this first it will be shrimp then TB'S then cichlids then catfish

Edited by Sir_Anubias, 07 June 2014 - 02:45 AM.

#30 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:38 AM

The official reason is different for the raids this time. Unfortunately, on technical grounds they are probably right according to the law this time. Not saying I think its right, just that they are not yet being as unrestrained and extreme as last time. I guess we wait and see what the next move Is.

#31 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:35 AM

Can I swear on this forum? I really want to. They're a bunch of louse-faced monkey arses.

For some reason this post made me laugh really loudly Hahahha.

#32 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:42 AM

What are the fisheries doing to stop the pearl cichlids, farm fertiliser run offs and people catching undersize fish... NOTHING!

I was fishing up at Hillary's one day and this lady next to me had a 20L bucket full of tiny fish, didn't even bother to kill them just let them die out of water, gasping. She had lots of Stripey, undersize bream, undersize flathead, baby flounder and a tiny tailor.

A fisheries guy came walking down the jetty, and the lady had a cloth over the bucket and he didn't even look into it. Go ahead fisheries Raiding all the harmless shrimp while people ruin our oceans!

#33 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:48 AM

What did the one fisheries officer say to the other fisheries officer, when they were sitting down doing nothing?

Lets go and harass those aquarists because that's the only bloody thing we know how to do right.

#34 Shane-o88

Shane-o88
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:53 AM

Should of kicked the bucket!!! I have done that a few times but I don't fish too often anymore... Too many people littering and keeping small fish.

#35 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:55 AM

lol it should be...

What did the one fisheries officer say to the other fisheries officer, when they were sitting down doing nothing after a few too many beers ?

Lets go and harass those aquarists because that's the only bloody thing we know how to do right.

Should of kicked the bucket!!! I have done that a few times but I don't fish too often anymore... Too many people littering and keeping small fish.

That's the problem, I would have but most of the fish were dead and her bucket was way away from the water.

#36 ZOLTAN

ZOLTAN
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:22 PM

The government just recently went through Daff like a hot knife through butter. Many staff were let go, fisheries might have found themselves next on the chopping block and are taking action to justified jobs and funds. The tough budget might make it even harder for them over the coming years. 

#37 sajica

sajica

Quiz Meister 2016 & 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:35 PM

50564300.jpg

50564325.jpg

50564364.jpg

And as you can see Fisheries WA this has worked out as a PR nightmare for you. None of us can or will take you seriously. If you had worked towards broader education and tried to win hearts and minds we'd all get along better. No one wants to intentionally break the law but when you never reply back to people asking you questions, everyone's opinions of you will go down the gutter.

No one likes bureaucrats and you've played into everyone hating you. If that's what you wanted well played but education is a great tool towards enforcement all you've done is enforce with no education and not to allow anyone to know what they did wrong.

Respect is hard to earn and easy to loose and I'm sure myself and everyone on the forum has a lower level of respect for you. There's going to be a heck of a lot of bridges to build and fences to mend if the society as a whole and ANGFA as a whole will ever cooperate with you again.

#38 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:46 PM

what should be of most concern is by what they have done is going to drive  it underground   which is no ones best interest

after last weeks talk at the monthly meeting we were tossing up at having a few shrimp.but im afraid not now  we have completely lost interest

F*(*&^*&_)( YOU Fisheries :ph34r:

#39 sajica

sajica

Quiz Meister 2016 & 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:47 PM

The frustrating thing is being a part of ANGFA WA and a national ANGFA member we're constantly trying to encourage people to keep native species over exotics. They go and confiscate native shrimp effectively outlawing the country's OWN residents to keep fauna and species that are legal interstate. It's ok if you are interstate but WA you're not allowed to keep your own country's fauna.

People have fought and died for our country to give us rights and freedom, this is a disgrace.

#40 brenno71

brenno71
  • Committee

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:51 PM

So is it the fact they were shrimp the reason they were taken or the fact there wasn't the correct paper work? I don't understand why they cant just give a straight answer on whether we can keep the as a hobbyist.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Shrimp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users