Photo

American Tank Mates

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 drukqs2369

drukqs2369
  • Banned

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:44 PM

hey i was just wondering if anybody had any ideas for new fish i could put into my tank

i'm starting everything out fairly smallish, mainly from 5cm to no more than 10cm

i don't really want to double up on anything but i'm looking for some thing with really nice colour & medium aggression but not too aggressive

i currently have a nice looking pollini, synspilum, jack dempsy, green terror, blue acara, texas, oscar, rainbow shark and some large pleckos

just to let u know the style of fish i'm into...

see imo a small flowerhorn would look great in their as i believe some of them i've seen are the best looking fish out there.. but they're a little too aggressive

but what are some other americas that i could add into the mix?

i have a very small electric blue jack dempsey that i'm trying to build up to size in a smaller tank & i'll put him in when he's big enough

i may also get a black convict, but only one, i'm so sick of those things breeding haha

some of those are mine, just to kinda show ya what i'm looking at

#2 drukqs2369

drukqs2369
  • Banned

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:58 PM

so far kinda liking the look of the port acara

are red texas hybrids? n do they always get the hump?

*edit added photo

#3 alex101

alex101
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:51 AM

some gold or green severums would be cool they are kinda like discus but hell tougher

#4 dave06

dave06
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:38 AM

Yes, Red Texas are a hydrid. All the ones ive had / seen dont have the humps, they are more pinkish to orange than the red one in the photo.

They look really good though, with the metallic pearling.

IMO and experience, flowerhorns arent any more agro than polleni, texas or RD's or most of the other CA / SA for that matter !

Goodluck with your community americans !!

#5 hitman

hitman
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 November 2010 - 03:26 PM

hey mate would love to see some festeas in thereAttached File  imagesCAWAYK00.jpg   6.96KB   18 downloads

#6 Link2Hell

Link2Hell
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:40 PM

N. salvini and T. macaulapinnis (ellioti)

Chris

#7 drukqs2369

drukqs2369
  • Banned

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE (dave06 @ Nov 3 2010, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, Red Texas are a hydrid. All the ones ive had / seen dont have the humps, they are more pinkish to orange than the red one in the photo.

They look really good though, with the metallic pearling.

IMO and experience, flowerhorns arent any more agro than polleni, texas or RD's or most of the other CA / SA for that matter !

Goodluck with your community americans !!

yeah i heard a few mixed reviews on the pollini, i definatley love the look of the fish tho but my JD seems to give him more hastle than anything which is good smile.gif

i really like the look of the red texas, i guess all i can do is source one and give it a go

i also found my electic blue JD dead today in the small tank i was keeping it in. gotta be the most expensive feeder fish ive ever fed to an oscar before.. hell i dont think ive even eaten a meal worth $75 in one go before sad.gif

oh well

ill reply to the rest of the posts on the thread soon too. thanks for all the input smile.gif

#8 danotaylor

danotaylor
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:51 PM

sorry to hear about your eb jd mate...may he rest in peace...
you may already know this but the way to deal with aggression is very different in cichlids from africa compared to americans...africans generally speaking an increase numbers decreases aggro (except polleni which are from madagascar)...americans need more room and less tank mates as they tend to smash on to the death.
So how big is your tank mate? How many fish do you plan on keeping?
I like your selection so far...i had some crackin green texas but they got so aggro and were damaging eachothers fins pretty bad as they out grew there space I sold them.
+1 for a festae if you can find a nice one
a lone brasiliensis would go nice too
parrot cichlids look nice as they mature too
good luck mate...enjoy your selecting
Danny

#9 drukqs2369

drukqs2369
  • Banned

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE (hitman @ Nov 3 2010, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey mate would love to see some festeas in thereAttached File  imagesCAWAYK00.jpg   6.96KB   18 downloads

i defiantly like the look of that.. i'll keep an eye out for one of those

today i picked up a female convict, a red jewel cichlid

& some thing that i guess looks a lot like a jack dempsey but has stripes & looks.. i dunno just different.. could be a hybrid of some sort (sorry pcs) but it looks really bloody good but it could just be a JD tho

if i find a nice red texas i might give that ago. they look nice, if it gets a bit agro i'll pass it on

& does anybody know where i can get a tiger oscar that looks like this?

#10 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:34 PM

Post a pic of the fish your not sure of.

#11 drukqs2369

drukqs2369
  • Banned

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:39 PM

if i got time i'll take a pic, i think it's just a normal JD but it's prob the best looking one i've ever seen it's colours are similar but they're so vivid.

it's got more boggly eyes too.. it's really cool. keeps bullying the convict, i like that.

#12 drukqs2369

drukqs2369
  • Banned

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:45 PM

would maybe like to add one of these too

#13 convict paul

convict paul
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:02 PM

looks good man smile.gif

#14 the pulpican man

the pulpican man
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:05 PM

QUOTE (drukqs2369 @ Nov 2 2010, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
see imo a small flowerhorn would look great in their as i believe some of them i've seen are the best looking fish out there.. but they're a little too aggressive

i have 3 FH in my american community, the male ZZ is boss, Female FH x texas is Sub dominant and the other one gets bashed up a bit.. they're the same as any other fish.. its not the spiecies its the temperment and personality of the fish themselves, i had to get rid of my big male RD as my male FH was teasing him when i was breeding and the RD smashed him.. nice FH in perth are hard to come by though. i know there's some nice ones around though.

how bigs the tank your planning on keeping them in?

Cheers,

Tom smile.gif

#15 drukqs2369

drukqs2369
  • Banned

Posted 06 November 2010 - 03:08 PM

it's only a 4 x 2 x 2 and i don't plan on adding too many more

today i bought another JD that was looking really good (same size as the pic at the top)

another bigger blue acara (who's been lock mouthing with my other JD haha)

i bought two of these hybrid things the guy wasn't sure what they were but they are definitely crossed with convicts & they look really nice

i bought another synspilum, a little smaller than the other one but i plan to get rid of the other one cause the new one has a lot nicer colours

i swapped my bigger red oscar for a really nice looking smaller tiger oscar (i'm very picky with oscars)

i also went back to the shop i bought the electric blue JD that died from and told em (not to complain really just to say i'm devvo'd) and they gave me a really nice discount so i bought 2 more & put them up in my standard 4 foot with silver dollers, a chelceus & some other tropicals.. hopefully they do well in their and bulk up quite a lot more before i can put them into my bigger tank

basically i might be looking for a red texas & a red terror & i might just leave it at that

all up it's about 15 fish i'll have in their plus two 25cm fairly large plecos

i had a FH in a community tank that loved his food but never caused any troubles & never received any troubles either but he was really dull coloured

i know u can get nice calm ones but it seems the better and more beautiful their colours the more crazy and violent they become

oh and i also bought 4 small tropheus for my little jebo tank

i kinda actually wish i bought a few more because they're really nice looking

#16 drukqs2369

drukqs2369
  • Banned

Posted 06 November 2010 - 04:19 PM

also love the look of this:

Carpintis Cichlid

Pearlscale Cichlid, Green Texas Cichlid, Blue Texas Cichlid
Herichthys carpintis (Cichlasoma carpinte)

The Green Texas Cichlid is also known as the Pearlscale Cichlid. It should not be confused with Cichlasoma cyanoguttatum, the Texas Cichlid. The Green Texas Cichlid is considered to be an amiable fish. A pearly-green in color, the Green Texas Cichlid male can grow to an impressive 12 inches long. The male and female bond and form a pair after intense jaw locking. While rearing the fry, both parents turn a dark, almost black color with the exception of a right-angle triangular spot behind the pectoral fin.

Green Texas Cichlids require a tank of at least 50 gallons with lots of room to swim and adequate hiding spots. Most plants that are added to the aquarium will be uprooted as they dig, so floating plants may be more appropriate. They are very adaptable to differences in water chemistry. Being aggressive in nature, the Green Texas Cichlid should only be housed with more aggressive fish that are close to the same size.

The Green Texas Cichlid is an open breeder that is very prolific. Maturity is reached when males reach approximately 4 inches in length and the female 3 inches. The Green Texas Cichlid is an egg layer and the larvae hatch 4 days after spawning. They are free-swimming after another 4-6 days and both parents will protect the fry. Juveniles may be susceptible to intestinal diseases.

The Green Texas Cichlid is omnivorous and will eat most prepared and frozen foods including freeze-dried bloodworms, tubifex, and ocean plankton, as well as flake food and Cichlid pellets.

----

who can find me one of these bad boys?

#17 jslayz

jslayz
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 November 2010 - 05:08 PM

Malaga and the place across beach rd have heaps at various sizes and Morley had some bigger ones.
This is a carpinte from Malaga.

He is bigger than above now.

I swear this tank is like a land min 'one wrong move and BOOM'
If you can keep the aggro down it'll be a miracle.......

Just a warning.........but hopefully (I mean it coz it will be awesome!) you can jag a combo that will work.

J

#18 pec

pec
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 November 2010 - 05:37 PM

Good luck with this, tried for two years with american communities which all ended the same once they're adults..

If you want a nice texas get a super green.

#19 the pulpican man

the pulpican man
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 November 2010 - 05:39 PM

IMO there's no difference, between green and super green.. i bought mine as a green and it looks just as green as a super..

just my opinion smile.gif

#20 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 November 2010 - 07:59 PM

as far as i can tell, the super green texas = carpinitis. so yeah they would be the same thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users