shell dwellers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Spiesie

Spiesie
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:56 PM

Hi,

I am looking for some suggestions on what I could put in a 40Litre tank. I am mainly looking at shell dwellers.

Below is a picture of the tank.

Some specifications:

- 40l (50cm x 30cm x 26cm approx)

- Astro 2202 filter (with standard filter media, sponges)

- LED light

- 3D background

- Texas Holy Rock and Shells (Was looking at maybe changing the rock to ones that looks like the background??)

Now from what I have been reading, Neolamprologus multifasciatus would probably be the best and easiest bet. But, it would be nice if I could put something in with a little bit more color.

What I would like would be around 6 or so fish (if possible).

Fish that I have considered:

- Neolamprologus Similis

- Gold and Black Occies - Not sure if this size tank can have more than 2 of either species, even though they are very nice in color and attitude

- Pearly Occies - This seems to be a very nice looking and from what I have read was that they are not as territorial as the black and gold occies. Which might mean that I can put a few in there??

- Not sure if there is anything else I haven't looked at that is readily available?

Does anyone have any experience in keeping the Pearly Occies (Lamprologus meleagris/stappersi) in a tank this size? And how many in a tank.

Any other advise would also be appreciated!

Cheers!

Attached Files

• Attached File  Tank.jpg   238.42KB   2 downloads

#2 Bermont

Bermont
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

ive got 3 neolamp bolengaeri for sale if your interested,bit raer then most of the other shellies and got a heap of shells that can go with them if interested, give me a PM and ill send you pics etc, alternatively you can get away with kribs, apisotgrammas etc

#3 Naraic

Naraic
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

I have previously kept 6 Gold Occelatus in my 40L Nano Fluval EBI with Inert gold 4mm gravel and Texas Holey Rock.

6 Neolamprologus Multifaciatus at an earlier time.

Presently I have 4 Altolamprologus Calvus *Black Peral* until they are too large then I will sit with a young adult pair and then they too will go to a larger home.

It proved to require a 35% weekly water change with Occies.

#4 Spiesie

Spiesie
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:27 PM

6 Gold Ocelatus would look pretty awesome in there!

Would you be able to add a couple Alto or Julie juveniles with them and once they grow a little bit larger, move them out?

Or would it be best just to be a single species tank? ( <-This is probably the answer, but worth a ask)

#5 Naraic

Naraic
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

I strongly recommend species only, definitely don't put shellies with shellies in a tank that small or there will be death.

Maybe get four shellies and a couple Cyprichromis leptosoma or some other Cyprischromis sp. that way the two groups don't fight over the same limited habitat.

Maybe two small Synodontis petricola until they are 7cm or so. Just make sure they don't claim all the caves.

#6 Spiesie

Spiesie
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:25 PM

Thanks Naraic!

What was your ratio M/F when you had the Gold Occies?

Did they ever spawn for you?

Edited by Spiesie, 15 November 2013 - 01:25 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shell dwellers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users