Photo

Worrking In The Mines

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 spite333

spite333
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

Im have been trying to get into the mines for awhile now, i was just wondering if there ppl trying the same as me, or who have had the same troubles..... what i dont understand is that ppl say they are screaming for ppl well HELLO! brickwall.gif

#2 scottyhooton

scottyhooton
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

what tickets have you got thats the key , I've spent the last four weeks loading up on qualifications , I'm doing poly welding atm

#3 lawdog

lawdog
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:48 PM

Yep mines are looking, there are a few who for good luck make it in easy. For the rest it is a case of making yourself stand out against the thousands who get a start each month.

If you are not trade qualified things get harder. Without a trade you will be looking at TA roles which are easily filled. To stand out get a hr license, book yourself into an Aveling induction for Rio. Or do a scaffolding/dog man or rigger qualification intermediate or advanced and get some local work in around the metro at whatever pay rate to gain experience.

Plant operators are agin tricky you could do a training course and have no experience that a mine wants. In this situation you need to apply to the small players to get experience in places like Murrin, nifty etc - now these pay bottom end but the experience is invaluable and a stepping stone to bigger and better after a one or two year stint.

Currently I need top end operators:
Digger above pc1250 with greater than 2 years experience
992 loader ops with the same or greater experience
Mobile crushing operators (very different to production mining)
Civil operators with 2+ years with trimming experience
Shot firer with 5 years blast crew
And the list goes on

Give me a call and if I can help or steer you in the right direction I will, but it is not as easy as most believe unless as my first sentence indicates you are lucky.

As an aside, site compliance is getting bigger and the costs to get someone site ready are going up.
As an example for me to get a guy onto a bhp site costs about $1500 which takes about $45000 to recover as part of my billing which is about 12 weeks on site. So when you do finally get a gig from someone look at the big picture before jumping to another site for 50cents an hour. If you give a little loyalty you will gain a lot back.

Hey scotty if you are poly welding speak to Gfr in midland they have a large number of Rio contracts.

#4 scottyhooton

scottyhooton
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:56 PM

sweet Matt, I'm pretty sure cgh civil will be taking me on which means i'll be heading up to hope down on a rio site ..... bit if not I'll definatley chase them up . I also got advanced rigging and ewp so far and will prob follow it up with confined spaces and working at heights

#5 crazyD

crazyD
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

Drill rigs is a good way in the back door bro gets u on site inducted hr lic, and a few other small but handy tickets
Then go from there, all they want is strong blokes who can work hard and know a bit about a few things mechanical.

#6 gully

gully
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

im saving up cash atm to go onto the oil rigs. from what my mate has told me atm hes incharge of a team of the coast of darwin and he says he knows people that have been on the waiting list for up to 2 years and still have no call back. they best way he says of getting on there is to have a qualification eg a chef and and tyalk to the big boys then change your job role over that way. but yeh the boys on the rigs get first pick of the jobs before anyone else.

#7 Hypanheaven

Hypanheaven
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

Thought about going to sea? I work in the offshore on anchor handlers/rig supply vessels (90m+, 16000-21000hp). I have a 5week on 5 week off roster, I accrue leave at a rate of for every day I'm away I get 1.2 days leave, so first year away I work 6 months, and every second year I only work 4.5months and have 7.5month off, money is between 110k - 200k+ depending on qualifications, Im an engineer so I'm in the middle of the pay scheme.

#8 fusco

fusco
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:21 PM

Mate ive been trying for 6 months and i too have had no luck
im a carpenter by trade and have a hc licence, forklift licence,
i was looking at getting into building the accomadation on some of the mine sites
gorgan project etc applied through Thiess but have been put on a waiting list
but persistance is the key a friend of mine sent his resume every day and rang them to find out
how his application went and he got a job within a couple of weeks
good luck

#9 *Michael*

*Michael*
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

It's not what you know it's who you know I've got my HR and ready to do my HC I've worked on drill rigs and iv tried for the last year to get into the mines I can make more $$ truck drivin country jobs than waste time with the mines , some advice I can give you is try ready work force start as a storeman and doors open don't waste your time with ausdrill I've sent 10 resumes and not even a thanks for your resume , my mates a truck driver and makes $2800 in hand a week drivin dongas to the communities up north anyway all in all recruitment companies are the only way to get to the mines if they accept you

#10 Moses

Moses
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:49 PM

I was one of the easy/lucky ones. Rang up a drilling company and asked what I needed to do to get a start. They said HR as a minimum and they pay for the rest. Got my HR a few weeks later and rang them back, started paid training 3 days later. 2 weeks of that and out to site 2 days later.
Started with basically no tickets cause i'm a landscaper by trade. Now have working at heights, EWP, forklift, telehandler, backhoe, dogging, rigging, crane and soon to be put through welding. Probably have close to 15k in tickets now. Also had 18k in pay rises in my 6 months.
I just chose an entry level position and ran with it. It was only ever a stepping stone to get into mining but I've shown loyalty and worked hard and they are looking after me.

#11 lawdog

lawdog
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:59 PM

Carpenters are tough to place as must building is offsite and shipped or outsourced to local builders if admin blocks etc. However as a carpenter speak to companies like Perth precast etc and see if they will take you as a form work carpenter (can be pretty basic stuff - culverts etc) and go from there. The next big push is Wheatstone which is being managed by bechtel in kewdale, the project requires unto 6000 personnel! However most elements have been subbed out, however if you go in and see them they should be able to tell you who has a particular element. Also looking at a website like project connect will tell you what is coming up and who has been awarded what.

Now everyone wants to work for the big 4 (rio, bhp, fmg & chevron) but for greenies start in a 2nd or 3rd tier provider such as abigroup, ertech, civmec, diab, transfield services, lend lease, pilbarra access, Phoenix, nomad, fleetwood, bgc, cimeco, brierty, Carey mining, central mining construction etc

If you have a hc try going the side tipper option and to get experience speak to companies like RJ Vincent, musgrave contracting, bj catalano, castle, wa limestone, stone civil etc for metro that will provide the skills for mining. Also look at quarrying for companies like holcim in port hedland, karratha byford.

Lots of avenues but you must walk before you can run, no company is going to give a guy or gal a million dollar plus piece of gear and say go learn so start small and go big ie. Water cart to arctic dumpy to small rigids (773) and work to 785 etc

Good luck

#12 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:02 PM

What do they do for IT Support? All contracted out to companies in Perth or do the mines hire their own staff to work onsite etc?

#13 lawdog

lawdog
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

The majority onsite it is contracted apart from very basic desktop support roles (which rio have now outsourced), and the overall systems and network/PC, server work goes to the company that supplied against the tender in the first place ie. Dell/HP have support contracts in place which I would guess they have authorised agents doing the work for.

#14 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:20 AM

i have a good mate i went to school with and he asked me to go work on his site with his team at RIO .... but it comes with a big BUT... you gotta do 12 mths and dont stuff up... or it reflects badly on him.... i declined... not for me... mine work isnt for everybody....

#15 Irish

Irish
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:24 PM

I did 10 years in Tom Price, left in 2004, thinking of going back to working in the mines again, i have face shovel, excavator,loader, limited dozer,grader, rubber tire dozzer water truck and haul truck experience. Most of my time i was in production loading haul trucks. Any one know what that sort of experience is worth in the mines today?

#16 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

What do you do if you have no mine experience, no HR license, no trade and have no desire to work on the mines?

I hate the mines has made WA a S%^^ place to live with only one option to survive... The mines.

I might go on the doll and let all the rich miners pay my way I think...

#17 scottyhooton

scottyhooton
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

i should be heading off in about six weeks

#18 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:12 PM

I have a thought, most of the reason you can earn big $$$ on the mines is cause of the hours. Try doing 80 - 90 hours in perth and see how your pay packet goes.

Edited by Neakit, 25 March 2012 - 03:12 PM.

#19 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

God yeah Neakit, I can earn more $$ here in Perth than what I earned up north, only difference is I have to slut myself around to multiple companies to get the hours up, mining isn't for me though I much prefer the entertainment riggers lifestyle, I'll take lights n sounds over red dirt and a wet mess lol smile.gif

#20 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE (Blakey @ Mar 25 2012, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What do you do if you have no mine experience, no HR license, no trade and have no desire to work on the mines?

I hate the mines has made WA a S%^^ place to live with only one option to survive... The mines.

I might go on the doll and let all the rich miners pay my way I think...

the point still stands though! the cost of living here is getting stupid, im thinking of moving away after i get my degree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users