Photo

Tank size of a fresh water pike?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 MatHarvey

MatHarvey
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:58 PM

What tank busters could i fit in to a 6 x 14 x 18 with wd filter and sump?

freshwater pike? Birch?

what you folk recon?

mat

#2 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:02 PM

What do you mean by FW pike? Crenicichla or Esox?

Only bichir you could keep in that size tank would be a senegal.

#3 MatHarvey

MatHarvey
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:10 PM

i mean the fish in the lower right hand side of the ARo.

#4 smithy

smithy
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:15 PM

looks to me like a spotted gar, i have one in my 6x2x2 but im pretty sure he will eventually outgrow that.

#5 MatHarvey

MatHarvey
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:20 PM

yup spotted gar... thats the one...
how big do they get?

#6 smithy

smithy
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:24 PM

ummm not 100% sure... i have heard of them getting around 1m. never seen one that large but. mines currently 35cm. i would guess around 2' in an aquarium.

#7 MatHarvey

MatHarvey
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:32 PM

hrrrm def too big for my tank...

#8 smithy

smithy
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:38 PM

i may be wrong.. but look up spotted gar on google images and theres soem pretty big ones

#9 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:41 AM

All gar species grow far too large for your tank. Spotteds/Floridas beng the smallest of the true gars.

#10 Mark93

Mark93
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:39 PM

your tank is way to small they are called tank busters for a reason.

#11 MatHarvey

MatHarvey
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:42 PM

Ok,
any suggestions for tankbuster (large, preditor with personality) to stock this size tank with?

#12 Mark93

Mark93
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:46 PM

sorry your tank is to small for any large predator .. you want to pout a large predator in a small tank dos not work .. your tank would be good for a grow out tank

#13 MatHarvey

MatHarvey
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:51 PM

maybe just brich's then?

#14 Kenshin

Kenshin
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:59 PM

get some large archers (they get 10-12 inchs) and a bullrout for the bottem (they are about as predatory a fish as u can get without getting to big)

#15 olympus

olympus
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2007 - 04:26 PM

mabye a shark catfish?

#16 MatHarvey

MatHarvey
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2007 - 04:37 PM

cheers for the suggestions, keep em coming....

#17 Tucunare

Tucunare
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:50 PM

if you have the intention of upsizing your tank in about 12 months time, you could go for a number of fish- my gar is only in a 4x2x2 at the mo with 2 red tails, gigas and 3 ornate bichirs, all but the bichirs are being moved to my 8x3 soon (once ive finished settin it up) with my 5 cichla monochs - again though ill be upgrading that again in about 8 months, so i guess it really depends on what your future plans are.
being a marine man why dont you look into marines with personality, i had a porcupine puffer about one and a half times the size of a basketballthat was great and ive also had 30cm dog face and 45cm stars and stripes which all have great personalities, even little cows. again though i think its all about the size you buy them and your future tank plans that will decide what you can have

#18 MatHarvey

MatHarvey
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2007 - 08:06 PM

nice one scuba steve,
i've thought about marine (worked as aqaurist at AQWA for 2 yrs... only thing holding me back is that i've only got freshwater taps :roll: don't ya hate that! i could move to coral bay... salt water comes out of the tap. Lol

anyway.. . i just don't think that i could be bothered lugging buckets of water from the beach or buying water or salt to make it up.... other wise i would love a clown trigger....

#19 Tucunare

Tucunare
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2007 - 08:30 PM

i can deliver salt!!!!!. or even supply you with baged salt and RO
i had a clown trigger once that was an eating machine, he used to eat so much that his top and bottem spikes would stick out because his guts were so round they had no where else to go. he killed my bluespot ray and bit a chunk out of the dorsal of my female eppulate so i got rid of him.
things for fresh you could have for now would be
bichirs, imo in your size tank for atleast 18 months
small rays again for about 18 months
little peacock bass for about 12 months
qld lungy slow growers so if you got a littly probably 2-3 years
the list goes on

how bout even a flowerhorn, i love these guys and mines now anout 12 cm and really getting some colour, super aggresive but hes in with a bagarius cat and they get on fine(for now).
getting back to marines i do alot of tanks with angels in em and theres one with a maculosus (red sea purple queen) that you can hand feed and pat, hesabout 40cm aswell so a real beuty, but you know other angels like scribbles or imperators are the same over time aswell.
i think of all the fish ive had over the years and ive had some real rippers ith heaps of character so i could go on and on, but i think the cream of the crop would have been my first blue spot ray. he used to eat off my hand every night would suck on the glass if you were near it, just a real champ, was never buried and was always out swimming around, had him maybe 2 years then like most of the bluespots picked up some kind of internal bug and that was it :cry:

#20 MatHarvey

MatHarvey
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2007 - 08:38 PM

yeah bluespots are great ... i used to have them eat out of my hand at AQWA... in the rollyshoals exhibit. Freshwater rays would be real nice... just gotta sell my body on the street and i'll be able to get one :roll:

if you know of any 7 -10cm trophs available i maybe able to rescue the current coloney (diminishing numbers due to an unfortunate accident) from rising agression due to too many boys and not enough gals. If i can't get more of the same size ... i'll think about something else to go in the tank... hence this thread :!:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users