Moving From Sydney

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Jackos80

Jackos80
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:55 PM

Gday all,

Thought I might say gday and get a bit of knowledge before I move from Sydney.

Basically I am a hobby fish breeder that got into it after a mate gave me a 3 foot with some convicts and bristlenose. It took off over the next 6 months I went from one 3 foot tank to 14 tanks. But as bills went up and work time increased I sold of a few and am down to six four foot setups. Its a great setup and I enjoy it but the missus is angry as it takes up around 1/12 of the garage.
I have tried several breeds over the 18months I have had the setup and had luck with reasonable amount of offspring.
So far I have bred
Red forest jewels, Strecanous Tinanti, Convicts, Albino & common bristlenose, electric yellows, texas, tangerine peacocks.

I am selling up here now and most of my fish are gone and now just getting rid of the tanks. Going to start with a new setup and be a bit more organized when I start up.

Just want to make sure most of the breeds of fish are allowed.

I am going for a new setup just two tanks 6x2x2 and a sump filter. This way I can divide the tanks and keep several breeds. I really enjoyed the bristlenose as they breed every six weeks and are not bad to watch fanning away out the front of there caves. I checked out the classifieds on this site and looks like people are keeping and selling commons, albinos and peppermints. Thinking of other breeds to go with, I like to keep a rare or vary rare type of fish as well. I went with the Tinantis last time and found them fun to work with. Took a while to finally get them to breed had to ask some professionals and got the bristlenose cave tip and bang 6 weeks later had some fry swimming about.

1. So my first question is a name of a good tank builder in Perth, looking at building my own stand what would the best size sump filter be to run both of these tanks. I'm thinking a standard 4 foot should be good enough.

2. Do the auctions go well, I have been to a few here in Sydney there is the normals yellows, blues, common bristlenose, cobalts. Is there alot of variety at the auctions?

3. Any breeders want to lighten there load start of next year? I will post up when I am setup, I started here with fry and its great watching fish grow but prefer to sell to help with the electricity bill.

Be good to get over there and meet a few of you guys. I'll be signing up to the club as well.

Jack

#2 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:47 PM

If you intend to move to Wattle grove, Aquotix (Sponsor above) is not far from there, and we make our own tanks..... in fact, I make them.....

Pop in when you are over and have a chat

Cheers,
Oliver

#3 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:26 PM

QUOTE (Jackos80 @ Jun 1 2010, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2. Do the auctions go well, I have been to a few here in Sydney there is the normals yellows, blues, common bristlenose, cobalts. Is there alot of variety at the auctions?

Gday & welcome to the forum

Check out these links to get an idea of some of the species. Each auction differs sooo much. Sometimes there's bucket loads of yellows, mainganos etc and other times lots of tangs, catfish, SAs, CAs etc, even the odd birchir or 2.

See -
http://www.perthcich...x...st&p=168613
http://www.perthcich...x...st&p=159779
http://www.perthcich...x...st&p=149432
http://www.perthcich...x...st&p=140607

Daz

#4 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:09 AM

QUOTE (Mr_docfish @ Jun 1 2010, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
we make our own tanks..... in fact, I make them.....

I thought you just supervise... and let Krystal make them, hence the quality??? LOL! tongue.gif

Welcome aboard Jack! You'll enjoy it here! smile.gif

#5 anchar

anchar
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:33 AM

If you need landscaping gear (pavers, mulch, water features, blocks, rocks etc.) I am the manager of the Soils Aint Soils store in Wattle Grove. Pop in and say hi!

Andrea smile.gif

#6 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:57 AM

Gday Jack and welcome.

As Daz said the lots at the auctions vary drastically, you usually get a few that are different from the standard stuff.

Tank builders: we have a few good and trusted builders around Perth, personally I can vouch for Oliver's (Aquotix) work, I am very happy with the custom tanks I got from there. Great price too. The club membership more than pays for itself if you purchase tanks from sponsors with the 10% discount you get.

Throw up a post once you're setup here and you shouldn't have too much of a problem sourcing breeding stock.

#7 Jackos80

Jackos80
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:31 PM

Thanks for the heads up guys, guess the first thing I will do is sign up for membership.

Ohh and I live in Wattle Grove at the present in Sydney I don't know where I'll be living in Perth, it will most probably be north west of the city I think.

Guess your going to be my first aquatic store Oliver, I will have a custom order of tanks and depends on the war and finance minister if I can get two or three 6 foot tanks.

I'm keen to get there and do the setup and get my fish.

Selling on Petlink is doing my head in at the moment.

#8 lawdog

lawdog
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:09 AM

Wattle Grove, NSW. Good pub, went to the opening and the Charcoal Chicken was top notch...
Not an AJ by chance ?

Cheers Matt

#9 Jackos80

Jackos80
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE (lawdog @ Jun 3 2010, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wattle Grove, NSW. Good pub, went to the opening and the Charcoal Chicken was top notch...
Not an AJ by chance ?

Cheers Matt

Charcoal chicken here is the bomb, visit it three times a week for lunch. Quater of chicken and two salads 7 bucks can't beat it.

AJ???

I'll post up some pics of my setup now and I have been planning for my next one want to see if the experts will agree..

Jack

#10 Angelo

Angelo
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:50 AM

If you are living north of the river, I would recommend Paul from morley aquariums for your tanks. otherwise aquotix & vebas

#11 Jackos80

Jackos80
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:01 PM

Yeah I think it will be north of the river. But its the missus choice so see how we go.

Heres some pics of my last setups going to clean up the fronts of the tanks and take a picutre before I start selling tanks and gears.

Attached File  fish_tank_1.jpg   121.38KB   112 downloads

This was the first tank it was given to me by a mate. Worst back ground for cleaning, we just moved this on to another mate to probably start his fish addiction. Great little tank started with some albino bristlenose a pair of convicts. Missus wanted some colour so got a pair of red forest jewels to add in there. Did the trick had the convicts and red forest jewels breed quick so bought another two foot 2 weeks later.

Attached File  fish_tank_2.jpg   141.83KB   105 downloads

Second tank I got off another mate. He was moving to a smaller place so didn't have space. Great marine tank had massive pieces of coral, few tiny fish and a massive zebra moray eel. It was massive nearly three foot long and ran the tank. Used to feed him frozen prawns on a satay stick munched them up in no time.

Attached File  fishtank_small.jpg   84.86KB   111 downloads

We built the stand one weekend with a handy man mate. He would tell me where to stand and what to hold as I hadn't built anything like this before. Decided on 6 four foots but some didn't come so stuck the 2 foot and three foot in there while waiting.

I'll take a pic of the setup now and post it up soon.

#12 Jackos80

Jackos80
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:12 PM

Attached File  DSC02796.JPG   137KB   106 downloads

My end setup, its a great setup. 6 4footx18x20 tanks. Running off one turbine pump, with 2 bio filters in each tank. I have some aqua one 1200 canister filters that I rotate from tank to tank every week. One 300W jager heater in each tank and a temp sticker on each. I had some trouble with a certain brand of heater before. 3 broke when they where in and several died when they were turned on. So I splashed out and got these great different though. Electricity went down 150 dollars a term but I sold some other tanks as well.

#13 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:05 PM

Hey Jack and welcome to the forum biggrin.gif

I'll be heading over to Sydney in about threee weeks so we'll have to swap info lol.

Any suggestions on where to go for fish and tanks over east?

I'll be on Bondi Junction for a while then moving somehwere else, but not sure where yet?

Are you selling the rack as a whole or you willing to split the tanks?

#14 Jackos80

Jackos80
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE (Ronny @ Jun 8 2010, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Jack and welcome to the forum biggrin.gif

I'll be heading over to Sydney in about threee weeks so we'll have to swap info lol.

Any suggestions on where to go for fish and tanks over east?

I'll be on Bondi Junction for a while then moving somehwere else, but not sure where yet?

Are you selling the rack as a whole or you willing to split the tanks?

Hey Ronny,

Teams change I guess. But nah trying to keep it all together at the moment see how I go. Easier to deal with then trying to organize splitting it all up.

Bondi Junction hey, bit of the high life.

Everyone says St George aquarium is the place to be but if your looking for good quality tanks, for fish I would find breeders then you get the cheapest price and meet the members of the NSW Cichlid society. There always auctions each month but prices go a bit steeper than buying from a breeder. You can inspect the stock and the parents and how they keep there tanks, plus if you head home and some die normally the breeder will try and help out replacing.

Jack

#15 Sazabi

Sazabi
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:57 PM

Jack,

Welcome to the forums, looking forward to you coming over to Perth and join in our little cichlid family. Dont lose those breeders contacts over in Sydney though.

Ronny,

You can be our exporter to Perth, bring in some hard to find cichlids smile.gif Show us what we lack in Perth

*chuckles*

#16 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:43 PM

That's the plan buddy wink.gif

This way we don't get what's left over from the stuff they get over east first all the time lol.

Thanks Jack, I'll definitely have to see what the NSW clubs like and meet some of the members there too smile.gif

Everyone seems to say that when I say I'm moving to Bondi? I've never been so I'll find out what all the fuss is about when I get there I guess lol.

What I'll be looking for is the good quality stuff that's hard to find or non existent over here....

#17 Sazabi

Sazabi
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE (Ronny @ Jun 8 2010, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's the plan buddy wink.gif

This way we don't get what's left over from the stuff they get over east first all the time lol.

What I'll be looking for is the good quality stuff that's hard to find or non existent over here....

I know what you mean, good quality goldfish are so hard to find....

*runs*

#18 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:11 PM

Just out of curiousity Jack, any idea what the situation is like over there in reagards to earth eaters?

I would love to get back into those when I get there.

#19 Jackos80

Jackos80
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE (Ronny @ Jun 9 2010, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just out of curiousity Jack, any idea what the situation is like over there in reagards to earth eaters?

I would love to get back into those when I get there.

They are coming back in fashion, I just sold some fry I was growing up for myself. Had several emails about them, but they weren't the first to go.

But there are a lot of people who are selling over here Rio Branco, argyrostictus, tapajous there are some people who are experts that are arguing over breeds and all that.

Join up to http://www.aceforums.com.au/ they have sydney breeders on there plus some great pictures as well

And one Geo having a chuck, must have had a big night on the gas

#20 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:40 PM

Ah cool, what did you keep?

I'm alerady registered there wink.gif

I got some pics there too.

Wouldn't mind getting some argy if they're the real deal smile.gif

Seen any gymnogeos around?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users