Algae In My Loach Tank

algae loach anoying!!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Clownz!!

Clownz!!
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:59 PM

Not exactly sure if this is the most suitable place for this topic, so sorry and Im not sure where it is supposed to go.

...Anyway, I was hoping you guys could help me with this green plague that is creeping across my tank!

-The algae is very hard and not stringy and cannot be removed with a normal scraper.

-Applied force with a credit card can remove parts of it.

I was wondering if any of you guys/ girls had encountered it and how you combat it. And identify its name.

nHIXUmU.jpg

About the blur, phone cameras are all I have and they are not too good at close ups.

x9Q861g.jpg

Thanks all for reading :-)

#2 Bombshocked

Bombshocked
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:13 PM

looks like green spot algae? on the glass?

i get mine off with the green wire sink scourer square pad thing just cut it to desired size/shape and scrub away (obviously use a new one)...

edit:to reduce it i would look at my lighting is it to bright? is it on to long? any excess nutrients in the tank?

Edited by Sir_Anubias, 03 June 2014 - 10:21 PM.

#3 Clownz!!

Clownz!!
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:36 PM

Cheers Aubias for your quick response

I will try reducing the light hours from the current 12 hours, thats a good point. And I will try manual scouring for a while and see if it comes back. I wouldnt imagine it would be too much nutrients, because I dont add anything extra to the tanks, I dont have any plants and I do ~200 litre water changes a week on a very lightly stocked tank... this is my 750l one. (in my signature there is more about the tank).

#4 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:41 PM

looks like green spot algae? on the glass?

i get mine off with the green wire sink scourer square pad thing just cut it to desired size/shape and scrub away (obviously use a new one)...

edit:to reduce it i would look at my lighting is it to bright? is it on to long? any excess nutrients in the tank?

+1

I have problems with that algae from time to time as well Clownz and I found the green scourer pads work well. I also got a blue 'algae removing sponge' from aquarium city that works a treat and is gentle on the glass.

#5 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:34 AM

use a green washing up scourer... cheapest ones usually the best as they dont have any soap pre soaked into the scourers... dont use anything soapy or  :rip:

and then get yourself a cleanup crew - either a heap of b/n or a decent sized pleco or gibbi and the green spot wont have time to build up again :)

#6 Clownz!!

Clownz!!
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

Yea, I do have a gold spot pleco in there at the moment but he/ she dosent seem to be able to remove any of the algae. I do however have another tank that I share equipment with, that has bristlenose catfish in it, and it does not have any green algae, for that matter any hard algae in it at all.

So maybe get some more bristlenose catfish and try the scourer for a while  :). And I am also close to Aquarium city so Ill pick up a blue algae removing sponge. Thanks all for the help  :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: algae, loach, anoying!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users