Warning For People Keeping South Americans

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Warby

Warby
  • Validating

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE (Ronny @ Apr 20 2009, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great idea Den, I can honestly say, I know what it's like to try and replicate an environment with minimal knowledge and guidance.
There really isn't too much info on the net on specific regions where certain fish come from.

The only thing that concerns me about a topic like that is the number of members who could actually contribute valuable info.
I don't think many of us have actually gone to the areas where our fish are from to give first hand advice on a biotope.
But then, I could be totally wrong...

Anyways, I definately support the idea. there are quite a few posts requesting info on how to set up a tank according to the conditions fish are from, it could be very handy and aid alot of the noobs when setting up and selecting fish for their tank.

I agree that there may not be enough knowledge within our ranks, or enough of a demand for that information, to warrant having a forum dedicated entirely to biotype/biotope discussion, but perhaps, like other boards, a forum dedicated to tank setup? That way questions regarding biotypes, ideal stocking levels, etc could go in there?

-Dave

#22 Cthompson

Cthompson
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:47 AM

QUOTE (Den @ Dec 11 2008, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very sorry to hear of your loss Col, I'll send you a PM and see if we can work something out.

I recommend keeping most geo tanks warm around 29-30C, by doing this you prevent whitespot taking hold if they get stressed by other factors, although they are a reasonably hardy fish, white spot seems to wipe them out. If you do get whitespot with these fish crank the tank to 30C-32C ASAP and get those airstones cranking (but avoid too much current) for me its been more important in saving these guys than any medication.

Cheers
Den

Dan,

I don't understand why increasing temp will adversely affect the white spot parasite. It will speed up its life cycle but would not be terminal to it, so how will this help the fish?

Craig

#23 Thalium

Thalium
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:30 PM

Wonder if they could identify the chemical test it doesnt kill aussie natives and then use it to try wipe out the ferals in bennett brook ????

#24 whoever

whoever
  • Banned

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:49 PM

not really

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users