Mapping Tank Flow

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 03 September 2016 - 08:22 AM

Wondering if anyone has mapped tank flow using maybe food dyes or something? Or can suggest/ideas what would be safe to do do? I have an idea on the flow direction in upper reaches of tank but no idea what goes on at substrate level (if anything).

Edited by Delapool, 03 September 2016 - 11:45 AM.

#2 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 September 2016 - 12:53 PM

Yes quite easy,, it can be observed in working motion every night.
The part sera flora feed I give my fish is dosed in a cup of water,,, I put a match box size amount of sera into a cup and fill the cup with water from above with tap,,, I then pour and throw other foods in the "special feeding spot",,,,,, essentially this purely creating your own deliberate dead spot, floating food, dead fish will always end up in this spot, No matter where food gos in the aquarium it always ends back up in the dead spot (the feeding spot).
Flow from filters coupled with wave makers will always enable you to achieve no dead spots or create them where you need them.
Perseverance is obviously a huge factor here, and how good you are thinking in engineering mode will dictate how fast you get it sorted..
But this's how you tell,,,, good amount of sera flora dosed like I do,,, get it very fine to so it does the job of giving you good indication of water flow directional movement.
Make sure you illuminate all parts of water column to make the sera bits stand out.
Feed sera bits straight after a normal feed, so fish don't smash it, then don't feed next day.

Have you added obstacles that leaves you uncertain about flow ???

Last of all, plants and dangly stuff and plants if heavily planted enough, it will wish wash and chop up flow to a jumbled outcome.

#3 Ageofaquariums

Ageofaquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 September 2016 - 02:10 PM

I use easylife or geoliquid to do the same.

#4 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 04 September 2016 - 08:32 AM

Thanks for the replies, I'll look into these. Great ideas! I'm curious if any co2 makes it into the back bottom of tank and thought if it is just watching something flow through tank it could be interesting. I know the top half of tank flows anti-clockwise from an internal fluval u4 but the bottom foot of tank has a square foot or two of driftwood, fake rocks and ornaments in centre. Plus well planted.

Edited by Delapool, 04 September 2016 - 08:33 AM.

#5 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:39 PM

What's depth of tank ?
Top to bottom that is.

Edited by Buccal, 04 September 2016 - 09:40 PM.

#6 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 04 September 2016 - 10:08 PM

2.5ft in total for depth and the fluval u4 sits in the top level above one of the CO2 diffusers (on left side of tank). The other diffuser sits on right side of tank. Both have powerheads but more to chop bubbles up then push out into tank.

I should add there are canister filters as well that run part of the time co2 injection is on (outlets pointing up and flow from back to front of tank).

In theory there should be plenty of flow but if a simple thing to watch.

I use easylife or geoliquid to do the same.

Would you go with one over the other? I guess I'm mainly thinking of colour? (I don't have a SW tank so have never looked at flow before).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users