Photo

Worrking In The Mines

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

Tranced you do realize that people are moving to wa because there is more work here than there is over east? I currently have a few mexicans (victorieans) in the crew and it seems they are multiplying.

#22 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

yes

#23 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:59 PM

I left crane driving 2 years ago.
I was working 13 day fortnights, huge hours (60 hrs/week MINIMUM), every weekend, night shifts etc, the money was great, the lifestyle sucked.

Now I work in an office, I start when I want, generally around 9:30 so I miss traffic. I finish at 4:30 most days, unless I want to stay back.
If I was to start late or leave early I do.
I have an air con near me all the time in summer and a heater in winter. My morning routine doesnt involve sunscreen anymore. I havent had an injury at work once, except maybe a paper cut, compared to constant little injuries before.
The best thing, I sleep in my own bed EVERY night, I never work a weekend or a nightshift, I wake up between 7 and 7:30, I have more time for me, my hobbies and my life.
I see my mates heaps more now, what good was having a week off when everyone else was working? You spend it sitting on your ass mostly.
Mining is a great way to earn big bucks quick, but you can have it. It supported me while I was studying to get a better job. Thats good enough for me.

#24 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE (werdna @ Mar 25 2012, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The best thing, I sleep in my own bed EVERY night,

Pfffffttt..........

where's the fun in that

#25 Mausberg

Mausberg
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE (scottyhooton @ Mar 12 2012, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what tickets have you got thats the key , I've spent the last four weeks loading up on qualifications , I'm doing poly welding atm

good luck with the polywelding and other tickets. i have both polywelding and rigging ..they would be great to have to help you get in ....however they wont take you on as a rigger or polywelder without previous minesite/construction experience, the hardest thing is getting somebody to give you a go (even if your mate said he can get you in)... there comes a point where youll have to take it on the chin, and take the job being a riggers or poly welders assistant with the shit pay for a small firm to earn your stripes, then you can move into the real big companies and the big bucks and good jobs. i have had both tickets for almost 2 years now, and am only just starting to break in. my advise to anyone trying to get in is, to ticket up after you get in (for the big tickets) go in as a trades assistant , make friends, network , get experience on the ground in regard to procedures / safety , how it all works. then start ticketing up, once youre onboard with a good crew and your supervisor has seen that your capable and keen.

failing that , the best advice is....make sure you can show what you have been doing for the last 5 years on your C.V with no gaps , make sure you have plenty of work related contactable references. Apply for absolutely everything advertised, i apply for thing i'm not even going to get (ie Boilermaker\ welder) just to get my C.V on their system. Once they have your cv, ring them every second day , call them so often you are on first name basis with HR and to show that your keen..you never know they may just give you a job to stop the phone calls. and most importantly "fluff up" your cv..I'm not saying bull$&$* completly but......... since coming into the construction industry i have never had an interview...if you fit the bill thats all they are interested in

if anyone wants any other tips or would like some contacts or inside information on what jobs are hiring PM me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users