New Member Setting Up Again

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 GuppiesRock

GuppiesRock
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:16 AM

Hi All,

My name is Sasha and I have family members in the society and they put me onto you guys so here I am  :)

My husband is a huge cichlid fan and I discovered them when I met him.  We had numerous tanks at one stage but decided we should downsize and sold or put into storage everything except his original 4 foot curved front tank that a friend had made him.  All we kept in the tank were common bristlenosed catfish and we left them to do their thing and see what happened.  Well.....100's of babies happened!!  I sold a lot of them which was great and was a nice little boost in the finance department just when we needed it.

I was getting bored with a tank that really didn't have much movement in it so I wanted to get some more fish.....hubby got all excited thinking cichlids were coming back in the house, but I put my foot down, and now we have guppies going on. :P   I think his heart was broken but he had years of cichlids so it is my turn for a little while.  I know I know I am an evil woman ;)

I went and purchased some Turquoise Guppies and within 2 weeks I had about 100 babies...oops :rolleyes:  So down the back into the shed we went and out came the tanks we had stored down there.  First the one foot aqua one tank as a birthing suite that went on the breakfast bar in the kitchen and then the two footer with stand that has ended up in the loungeroom next to the curved tank and then a few weeks ago our 3 foot tank that had been divided into a 3 section breeding tank made it up to the house and that is sitting on a heavy duty pine coffee table....also in the loungeroom.  Sardines ain't got nothing on us!!

I wanted more than just the turquoise guppies so I started looking around.  Then one day we were told about one of your auctions coming up and I saw some Purple Moscows were being sold.  I googled them as I didn't know what they looked like and they were stunning!  I had a ring around the stores in Perth and no one had them.  So thinking it wasn't going to happen I ended up with some Neon Green Guppies instead.    I have a birthday coming up and a couple of days ago my mother in law and her partner turned up with an early birthday present for me.....my own little colony of Purple Moscows and I am in love.  They were purchased from a society member and they are amazing!  So a big thank you to that person :ThanxSmiley: .  I am sure my family members probably told you that I was getting them as a present.   But once again I now find myself in the position of needing more tanks hehe.  I think this is a common problem once people start getting fish of any sort really.   The guppies are a temporary thing...temporary could be one year or ten......but the aim is to try and fund a nice cichlid tank again with any proceeds from the sale of my guppies offspring.

So whilst I am a bit of a fraud for being on here at the moment with no cichlids in my house...my reasons are legitimate as I will be watching and learning while I am biding my time before cichlids once again enter our lives.

Thanks for letting me become a part of your society and I hope I have something to offer whilst I am learning from you all. 

#2 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:50 AM

Welcome to the forum Sasha.

Lots of us keep fish other than cichlids, so dont worry about it.

Cichlids are great fish to keep. Very interesting, always something new to try.

Post up some pics of your gups. You gotta show them off.

#3 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:32 PM

Welcome :) thanks for sharing your story :)

Please share some pics! :)

#4 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 October 2014 - 04:40 PM

Hi Sasha  Welcome to the PCS good to see you here and I think you will find a lot of interesting things and members are always willing to help with Knowledge etc :nopics:

#5 GuppiesRock

GuppiesRock
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 October 2014 - 05:03 PM

Thanks very much for the kind welcomes Malawiman85, Mattymak and Dicky7.  I am enjoying looking around on the forum already.

Well after an unexpected score today we do now have a single cichlid in the house so I am no longer a fraud hehe.  

Hubby and I just got back from Hillarys after I answered an ad on Gumtree for a tank with accessories for $30......the accessories were a male electric blue and a 15-17cm featherfin catfish, along with a heater, filter, air pump and the light to go on top of the two foot tank.  $30...I am gobsmacked...and feeling very lucky.   

I will have to get someone to show me how to post pictures and then you will probably all wish I didn't know how.  I love taking photos of my fish and will admit to pulling out my phone and showing people when I am out and about.

#6 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:06 PM

Wow, the featherfin is a nice score!

#7 GuppiesRock

GuppiesRock
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 October 2014 - 12:19 AM

Yes it is quite a pretty fish too.  Is it about 15-16cms from nose to the fork in it's tail and it is rather plump as well.  I wouldn't even know what one of those would cost to buy but I reckon I got the buy of the century :)

#8 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:36 AM

It may be buy of the week :P but I think my tank i scored for $80 was a score of the century haha :)

Just kidding, :)
Haha this is the one I mean though

http://www.perthcich...l=&fromsearch=1

#9 Androo

Androo
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:11 AM

Welcome to the forum, as stated above we would love to see pictures,
I havnt had a cichlid for a while now.
I think you will need to go get blue a friend or maybe a girlfriend

#10 GuppiesRock

GuppiesRock
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:33 PM

Yep...you win there Mattymak.  That looks great and you can't beat that price either.  Well done.

Thanks for the welcome Androo.  I will let my husband decide what happens with the electric blue and whether or not he gets a girlfriend or not.  I think I have pushed it enough with taking over the house with my guppies hehe.  The tank I scored yesterday has been set up on our breakfast bar....yes I did say the breakfast bar hehe.  The two fish that we got with the tank will be housed in it.  I realised it would be good to have a garbage disposal unit on hand just in case I need to cull any baby guppies, and an electric blue fits the bill.

The featherfin is a total character.  If I put my face up close to the tank he/she will actually come right up to the glass in front of me which is really sweet.  It's previous owner was a little guy about 16 months old...who used to bang on the glass and interact with the fish like that.  At least I just get myself at eye level and wait for the fish to come to me instead of giving the poor thing a concussion.

#11 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:55 AM

welcome to the place some of us call home.... well if your a fraud dunno where i fit in 60 odd tanks and not a cichlid in sight.... occasionally some pop in but disappear soon after and are quickly turned into catfish poop..... enjoy the purple moscows... :) nice mother in law you have :) and a top bloke to go with her :) 

some pretty amazing guppy combinations make some unique coloured fish and theres no end to creation with more and more variations being made every day - been playing with guppies for a while but the hardest thing is getting a particular line stable so it breeds true...

but then if they bred totally true all the time we wouldnt end up with different coloured fish :)

#12 GuppiesRock

GuppiesRock
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:03 AM

Thanks for the lovely welcome bigjohnnofish. Everyone is so friendly on here which is very refreshing, on so many forums newbies are treated with disdain, so it was lovely to be welcomed so warmly on here.

My moscows have already had babies so I am a very happy camper. They are such beautiful fish. Their colours are just amazing! I am no longer a fraud as I got a tank the other day and it came with an electric blue so I am legit hehe.

#13 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:10 AM

That's why they aren't as successful as PCS :P

#14 GuppiesRock

GuppiesRock
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:46 AM

Obviously hehe.

#15 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:50 PM

Hey Sasha,

How are those guppy photos coming along?

#16 GuppiesRock

GuppiesRock
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:38 PM

I was off picking up another tank today Malawiman.  I also have no idea how to post photos.  I am a bit challenged when it comes to the computers I am sorry to say.  :blush:

#17 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:48 PM

Another tank... nice.

There are a couple of different methods for uploading photos. Neither are as simple as you might expect. Still, once you do it once, you're set.
I'd explain it, but I suck at that kind of thing and would just further confuse the issue... im sure some bright spark will be able to explain it simply enough.

Whats going in the new tank?

#18 GuppiesRock

GuppiesRock
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:52 PM

I will get there with the photos...I promise.  The new tank will be a grow out tank for some guppies.  I was lucky enough to score the 3 footer that Shep had advertised on here for free today.  I am so in awe with how friendly and generous everyone is on here.

#19 GuppiesRock

GuppiesRock
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:41 PM

purple.jpg  Purple Moscows.

panoramictank.jpg

My main curved tank that currently houses guppies and BN.

bnfeast.jpg

Some BN feasting on zucchini and the baby guppies waiting their turn.  Will be so glad when I can spread the guppies out a bit as it is kind of crowded in there at the moment.

nursery.jpg   My birthing tank.

hatchery1.jpg Home made hatchery.  I have also made dividers so I can separate the mums and they stress less.

Edited by GuppiesRock, 08 October 2014 - 08:37 PM.

#20 GuppiesRock

GuppiesRock
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:11 PM

tanks.jpg  My 3 original tanks

4ftdividedtank.jpg My 4ft divided tank

newest-1.jpg  My featherfin and his buddy the electric blue.  They will be moved to a bigger tank once I get these guppies shuffled around a bit.

Sick of me posting photos yet?  I warned people that I shouldn't learn how to do this. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users