Photo

Hey Everyone

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lyntanos

Lyntanos
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:48 PM

Hey everybody. I've been browsing around here for a few weeks now and decided it was time to join and introduce myself.

Currently have 2 90L tanks, would like larger, but we're moving to Melbourne early next year and it's going to be hard just to move those two.

I'm just looking for some general advice at the moment regarding the two tank set-ups since I'm quite new to this.

One tank has a Peacock and a Flameback, both about 4 inches long, the other has 2 Cichilids, (sorry, I can't remember what they are) and i 3-4inch Bristlenose.

The plan was to have these 5 fish (and a handful more hopefully) in one tank, but through personality clashes we've lost a bunch of fish in the last few weeks, so we've had to separate them.

Anyway, back on topic, my girlfriend and I are aiming for 2 very different tank set-ups, I'm looking at a Cichlid tank with Pleco/bn/Gibbi type catfish, she's looking at a tank with a community of Angels and Glass Catfish and a bunch of plants.

I'm just wondering how appropriate our tanks would be for what we have in mind

two tanks, both 30x12x15 inches, "Cichlid" tank has 150W Aquaone heater, an Aquacare TC-800 filter (i don't know the flow rate, or what flow rate I should be aiming for). "Angel" tank has 100WAquaone heater, 2x Aquarius JT-280 filters (again, I know nothing about these).

I'm just wondering is this hardware is sufficient for what we have in mind or if anyone has any recommendations about anything i should change.

Thanks in advance guys.

Lynton

#2 the pulpican man

the pulpican man
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:15 PM

lynton,

sorry to burst your bubble, butt... those tanks are too small for keeping cichlids, for most cichlids a 3 foot is minimum, i would recommend angels, some kribensis or some shell dwellers, (can't remember their name) they are fun to watch, you could keep a pair of convicts in one tank, but prepare for stressful breeding as you can only pretty much give the fry away.
you can buy juvies, grow them out, trade them in and start small again, i used to do that till i got my 4ft.

HTH tongue.gif (hope this helps)

cheers, tom

#3 Lyntanos

Lyntanos
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:50 PM

Very disappointing news. Especially after being told by several shops that it would be big enough. (One even said it'd be alright for "at least 15 3-4 inch Malawis")

#4 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:51 PM

Gday Lynton

Some extra feedback for you. I keep a handful (a dozen) of young malawis and tangs in a 140litre tank. The cramped territory resulted in quite a bit of stress and deaths unfortunately. Once they get to adult size I'd expect more issues. I'm using the tank mainly as a growout before they go into the main display tank with larger fish.

On the larger scale of things I've got 40-50 adults in a 400litre tank and they're quite happy.

Do you like any of the Tanganyikan shell dwellers or American dwarfs?

Daz

#5 Lyntanos

Lyntanos
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:00 PM

I don't really know much about Tanganyikan shell dwellers or American dwarfs, Malawis were recommended to me, so i've just focused on those. Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll definitely look into it.

#6 the pulpican man

the pulpican man
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:06 PM

look in the classified ads of this forum, you can pick up some cheap deals on a 3 - 4 foot, i bought mine for $200 with canister, and my bro bought his for $100!! i was like WOW ohmy.gif, i know there is a 3 foot up for sale, i told him to drop the price down to $150, he was over charging a 3 foot at nearly $300! also people are always looking for fry/quarantine tank, so smaller 2 fts are pretty easy to sell smile.gif

HTH tongue.gif

tom

#7 highlucks

highlucks
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE (Lyntanos @ Apr 6 2009, 01:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
two tanks, both 30x12x15 inches, "Cichlid" tank has 150W Aquaone heater, an Aquacare TC-800 filter (i don't know the flow rate, or what flow rate I should be aiming for). "Angel" tank has 100WAquaone heater, 2x Aquarius JT-280 filters (again, I know nothing about these).

Lynton

though more difficult it can be done with those size tanks. probably not to the scale that the fish shop had told you but still doable. I have a breeding group of cynotilapia afra "cobue" in the same dimension tank 1M 6F. 1 electric yellow and a 4" albino Bristle nose. I guess what probably makes it a success for me is I am running a canister filter on that tank so the filtration rate is quite high. If you chose you fish wisely I think you could get way with 7-8 small to medium size cichlids.

#8 Lyntanos

Lyntanos
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:41 PM

Was hoping to avoid buying a new tank, but i guess I need something to spend the Stimulus Package on smile.gif Thanks for the positive feedback highlucks, I'd like to hope it would be some what doable. Any suggestions on the right fish to choose?

#9 highlucks

highlucks
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:43 AM

yeah go and have a word to one of our sponsors, morley is fairly close to you and the guys there can point you in the right direction. personally I would suggest some of the smaller more placid mbuna species.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users