Hi Everyone

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mipps

mipps
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 March 2010 - 03:38 PM

Hi everyone

I am so lost on this website - it is huge!!! I seem to be going around in circles, so would love and appreciate some advice.

I've had a pond for about 12 years and know mostly everything about keeping goldfish.

But....I have just purchase my first aquarium - 300 ltrs.

We have hard water so was thinking Cichlids would be the way to go....not sure though. So many questions!!!

My ideal is to set-up a colorful display with bright yellow and blue fish. I want the fish to have some character though - so maybe fish that swim in shoals. Does that make sense?

I would really appreciate any advise that you can give me to start me off.

Thanks a lot

#2 Jaraqui

Jaraqui
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 March 2010 - 05:32 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum!

The search feature on the top really helps sort through the information and therefore avoid confusion. With harder, alkaline water, I'd suggest you go with some African Cichlids. A great starter fish which isn't very demanding is the Electric Yellow (Labidochromis caeruleus), which, as you guessed it, is nice bright yellow. Many fish contain blue colours and it would be best if you reviewed many to choose a favorite. Live Fish is a great website to see what's available. Be aware, many African Cichlids are very aggressive towards eachother and care should be taken to make sure your fish are compatible.

#3 Hydonia

Hydonia
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:52 PM

Hi Mipps and welcome to the forum.

This site can be a bit daunting at fish, but you get used to it. I have never kept africans in a pond so unfortunatly cannot advise much bedies research. Feel free to ask as many questions as you want. That's what we are here for.

#4 Tropo

Tropo
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:31 PM

Hi Mipps welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you might be looking for malawi's, these are a good starting fish. Some good starters would be electric yellow (Labidchromis caeruleus), electric blue (Sciaenochromis fryeri) and maingano (Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos). Im sure if you search on the forum you will find some good info on these cichlids. I would recommend reading this topic if your not sure about cycling a new tank.
http://www.perthcich...?showtopic=5387

All the best with the tank be carefull there addictive biggrin.gif dont be afraid to ask questions theres a lot of good people on this forum who are always willing to help out.

Cheers Tropo

#5 joey

joey
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:40 PM

hey mipps

Definitely get some electric yellows although on the forum people call it by its scientific name (labidochromis caeruleus) because it is whats preferred biggrin.gif
for blue...hmm id say maybe some mainganoes as previously said. They are cheap, nice coloration but aggressive.
Although i started off with Electric Yellows and Demasoni (Pseudotropheus Demasoni). check 'em out.
fairly cheap, beautiful colors and pretty easy to look after IMO.

joe

#6 mipps

mipps
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:26 AM

Thanks everyone for the great advice and a big Hello to you all.

I shall read each one and follow the tips.

Will appreciate all the advice you can throw at me within the Cichlid forum.

This is sooo exciting.

rolleyes.gif

#7 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:05 AM

Welcome... and yes getting information from the forum can be exciting... and addictive... I am pretty much hooked onto two forums...

Well have you thought about doing anything with your goldfish pond?? Heard of Aquaponics??
Check out my thread...
http://www.perthcich...showtopic=31461

#8 mattt

mattt
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:01 PM

you must have an army of converts by now ivan laugh.gif

#9 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE (mattt @ Mar 21 2010, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you must have an army of converts by now ivan laugh.gif

Unfortunately not yet... but just doing my best to help others as others have helped me when I first started...
Somewhat like pay it forward... I suppose...

#10 mipps

mipps
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:44 PM

Well, I have spent 3 days reading, searching, creating bookmarks, collating information and I now have a BIG headache!!!

Where am I at?

Subtrate - Limestone sand...maybe ...Playground sand....nah maybe not...argonite000 grade....maybe
Limestone caves...duh??? scratch head...can't find much on these
Ph...I know that one....KH...what the???
African Cichlids - so many- which ones do I like the best...this one...nah that one...this ones really nice...maybe this one...
Silicone...yep that's easy
Filter....drat...mine is not an Eheim...mmm, how long before Christmas?
Background...shall I keep the universal wall?

I don't know nothing anymore. tongue.gif My brain has melted.

Finally decided on Tanganyikans. That's the first main decision made!

#11 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:29 PM

Hello & Welcome! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (mipps @ Mar 20 2010, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I want the fish to have some character though - so maybe fish that swim in shoals. Does that make sense?

Definately the Lethrinops family of african cichlids!!! wink.gif

If you want to add another 2 fish to your tang set up, I have 2 Brichardi Princess Cichlids you can have! smile.gif
Pic of Brichardi (not mine, but similar):
Attached File  bricardi.jpg   2.34KB   33 downloads

Enjoy!

Cheers!
Kevin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users