Photo

Mundaring Tap Water Toxic

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 woodsy

woodsy
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:08 PM

I moved to chidlow about 2 years ago and moved my 6x2x2 about 6 months later with the help of a mate, we filled the tank let it warm added the fish and within 5 minutes they all went belly up, it turns out that the horrible smell from the water was extremly high levels of ammonia and ive been told by the local fish shop that im not the first to get caught, but its still no excuse on my part, lesson learnt (always test the water first) but please spread the word to anyone you now that is moving to the hills or setting up a new tank, i now use rain water for my water changes
Woodsy smile.gif

one of the deseased

Attached Files

• Attached File  fish.JPG   240.17KB   32 downloads

#2 Matt_1

Matt_1
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:12 PM

A shame.

I read an article recently that they discovered some illegally dumped toxic waste near one of the catchments or something.

#3 woodsy

woodsy
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE (Matt_1 @ Apr 24 2009, 11:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A shame.

I read an article recently that they discovered some illegally dumped toxic waste near one of the catchments or something.

wher was the article so i can read it, i shower in it and more importantly i bath my little boy in it sad.gif

#4 Matt_1

Matt_1
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:23 PM

It was in the west Australian earlier this week, tucked away somewhere. I'll see if I can dig through the papers in the morning. Basically the gist of it was they found a bundle of drums found dumped that they suspected of containing toxic waste and possibly leaking into the mundaring catchment area if I recall. Perhaps someone else read the article can shed some light?

CHeers,
Matt

#5 woodsy

woodsy
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:42 PM

QUOTE (Matt_1 @ Apr 24 2009, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was in the west Australian earlier this week, tucked away somewhere. I'll see if I can dig through the papers in the morning. Basically the gist of it was they found a bundle of drums found dumped that they suspected of containing toxic waste and possibly leaking into the mundaring catchment area if I recall. Perhaps someone else read the article can shed some light?

CHeers,
Matt
ah ok , mundaring wier doesnt send water to anywhere but the gold fields, im not sure where chidlow gets its water from but i know its treated near coongamere (near midland) apparently its safe for people to drink, i wont drink it my dog wont drink it and it apparently does the same to people on diallisis as it does to fish, yaeh safe as houses

#6 Chaddy

Chaddy
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 April 2009 - 10:38 AM

Great. I live in the goldfields sad.gif

#7 woodsy

woodsy
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE (Chaddy @ Apr 25 2009, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great. I live in the goldfields sad.gif

my misses said she read the article and it just said they were unidentified drums so hopefully its ok, but that kind of thing realy ticks me off, i go for a ride through the bush in chidlow and see piles of rubbish ( the chidlow tip is free) they obviously cant wait till it opens to dump there crap angry.gif

#8 Matt_1

Matt_1
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:41 PM

It's the same everywhere. You'll see piles of rubbish 10m from a bin.

#9 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:57 PM

The water from Mundaring weir heads out towards the goldfields, where at regular intervals it is stored and pumped to the next storage area, and so on, to ensure supply to the goldfields in case there is a problem with one or more pumps on the line....at the first storage area (Northam) the ammonia is added to the water to combine with the chlorine to form chloramine. Some of it is then pumped back to Sawyers Valley where there is another holding station and from there it is spread to the surrounding areas of Mundaring...
The ammonia levels can fluctuate considerably, so you will have to look at getting a tap water conditioner that can handle the chloramine..... Ask Aaron (Az) at Midland Pets to advise what will be suitable for you and the fish you keep.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users