Would Theis Work????

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:45 PM

So I have bred my dumbo eared betta pair twice now and both times the male has eaten the eggs, I have looked at different method of how to fatherlesly hatch the eggs, the method I want to use is this : http://www.ibcbettas...icles/RT-02.pdf but I think I will have a problem maintaining a water level, so my idea is that I get a very fine pice of foam (very very fine) and place the eggs on that, which will be sitting in the water and they eggs placed on top so that the eggs are always wet. Do you think it will work? Also I will have 100% humidity

#2 Just Drive

Just Drive
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:40 PM

There's properly only one way to find out, any way what do you have to lose if you try it. On the other hand maybe if you let your bettas breed enough they will stop eating the eggs, I heard something similar about angel fish.

#3 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:13 PM

Yeah, my idea now is I got a rectangle of styrofoam cut out a rectangle out the middle and hot glued plastic mesh to the bottom, so after they breed I'll take them out and pipet the eggs out and put them on the mesh so they will be near the surface and get good oxygen

#4 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:57 PM

Sadly my contraption did what I made it for, but the eggs got fungus, I think I'm just gonna leave them with the dad and hope he learns to care for them!!

#5 tunagirll

tunagirll
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:05 PM

Unfortunately it's a common problem and some males just won't cut the mustard as dads.

If you're very keen, I can loan you my breeder male, he is an excellent dad and is a salamander dumbo.

#6 TheTexasCichlidMasacre

TheTexasCichlidMasacre
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 04 October 2014 - 02:09 AM

i know mine is different situation..... but i had a pair of texas form so i moved the rest and then another pair formed... when my first pair spawn they are mental parents and try to kill me but there fry always dissapear after a few days.... my other pair .... the male killed the female after there first spawn... but amazingly... 4 weeks later he is still feeding the fry on his own (fry are about 8 weeks) and when the female was still there they were terrified of me but the other day he flared up and attacked the glass when i touched it that was the first time i have noticed him flare at me .... i think he is learning how to be a dad... but my big striking looking male and colourful female have spawned 6 times but im trying to be patient and hope they figure it out ... i was in there tonight and noticed her tube was out again so hopefully they get it right this time... :/ sometimes you just gotta let them learn these things

the only difference between the situations is 1 pair is in a 2x2x1.5.... but the pair that struggles with there fry are in a 135cmx60x45 and i think they might be freaking out when they cant keep all there babies together as they are very territorial the male swims along the whole tank during spawn smashing his head into the glass trying to eat me... :/

Edited by TheTexasCichlidMasacre, 04 October 2014 - 02:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users