• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Bostave

Bostave

Memberships

• Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:04 PM

30/6/2016

Hi all, I have decided to participate in this year's PCS aquascaping competition. I am setting up my tank with things won at the PCS raffle and plants, rocks, accessories from my storage and my other tanks. I love Cryptocoryne and Aponogetons but for the obvious reasons the latter won't be in this aquascape. I will include few varieties of crypts.

Tank: ADA Cube Garden Mini - 36x22x26cm / 4mm optiwhite glass
Hardscape: rocks, driftwood
Co2: daily addition of carbonated water (50 ml) 
Lighting: ADA Aquasky 361
Filtration: Tetra whisper 10i internal filter. 
Heating: Eheim Jager 25 watts
Substrate: ADA Amazon - Penac P & W and tourmaline 
Ferts per day: Seachem trace, Seachem NPK, 
Critters: High grade carbon rili with blue genes, otocinclus, may get some Chocolate Gourami later.
plants to include - Cryptocoryne varieties ( to be named after deciding which ones will actually be used in the aquascape), Bolbitis heudelotii, Microsorum pteropus, Eriocaulon sp., Blyxa japonica, few other stem plants (to be decided)

Tank 
Attached File  tank 0 (Large).JPG   42.05KB   18 downloads

Tank with the light on
Attached File  tank1 (Large).JPG   47.2KB   14 downloads

Plants, shrimps and the otocinclus will mostly come from these two tanks
Attached File  plants source 1 (Large).JPG   64.92KB   15 downloads
Attached File  plants source 2 (Large).JPG   126.88KB   15 downloads

Since there is lot of debris and bit of small sticks, I lightly wash my ADA soil and keep the soil in a bucket of water until ammonia is neutralized.
 Attached File  gravel (Large).JPG   96.97KB   15 downloads 
This makes it easy to change the water in the bucket with ada soil more frequently and reduce the waiting time required to lower the ammonia level.

That's it for now, more to follow after the soil goes into the tank. Thank you.

Edited by Bostave, 18 July 2016 - 02:20 PM.

#2 Bostave

Bostave

Memberships

• Forum Member

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:22 PM

8/7/2013

Hi all,
A few changes to the aquascape;
Utricularia graminiflora to be used a fore ground carpet plant.
Ista water fertiliser 10c to replace seachem NPK.
Crystal red shrimp to replace high grade carbon rilis.

Still waiting for the ada soil to stop releasing ammonia.
I have been playing with driftwood and the rock for a better composition and placement in the tank.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Bostave, 18 July 2016 - 02:22 PM.

#3 Bostave

Bostave

Memberships

• Forum Member

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:16 PM

18/7/2016

The Ammonia reading for the Ada Amazonia is 1 ppm.

I have a few days off so decided to lay the foundation.

This was how the tank was left in the earlier post.Attached File  1 (Custom).JPG   34.26KB   11 downloads

The washed Ada soil was placed in the tank. I forgot to take a photograph of the tank sprinkled with  Penac P & W and tourmaline. Attached File  2 (Custom).JPG   44.22KB   12 downloads

The Ada soil was leveled. Attached File  3 (Custom).JPG   40.19KB   12 downloads

The soil mountain in the middle was intentional. The driftwood with Bolbitis heudelotti would be placed to the left of the soil mountain and the rock structure to it's right.

Attached File  4 (Custom).JPG   39KB   13 downloads

These are the rocks that would constitute the rocky hardscape. I wanted to embed these horizontally into the soil but that have left hardly any room for the plants that I intended to plant in this aquascape.Attached File  5 (Custom).JPG   61.82KB   11 downloads The rocks  placed in the aquarium. Attached File  6 (Custom).JPG   44.83KB   11 downloads

The driftwood with Bolbitis heudelotii take out from my other tank. The plant was trimmed, washed and then placed in the aquarium.Attached File  7 (Custom).JPG   82.13KB   16 downloadsAttached File  8 (Custom).JPG   44.9KB   15 downloadsAttached File  9 (Custom).JPG   41.15KB   14 downloads

The tank was then filled with water and left for the turbidity to clear.Attached File  10 (Custom).JPG   37.6KB   14 downloadsAttached File  11 (Custom).JPG   41.29KB   16 downloadsAttached File  12 (Custom).JPG   41.38KB   15 downloads

I will installed the heater and filter later today. Once the temperature is 26 degree Celsius, I will start planting the crypts. 

Thank you for reading.

Edited by Bostave, 18 July 2016 - 02:44 PM.

#4 Bostave

Bostave

Memberships

• Forum Member

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:27 PM

18/7/2016

Hi again,

So as per the previous entry of this journal, I have installed a 25 watt Eheim heater and Tetra whisper 10i filter. The filter was bought from US and hence required a step-down transformer to be used with it. The heater and the filter were switched on this evening and hopefully the water will be crystal clear with a few hours. 

The photographs attached below show the installed heater and filter as well as illuminated tank. The last photograph shows the filter in operation. I am considering buying a ADA canister filter and lily pipes. 

Attached File  13 (Custom).JPG   44.8KB   14 downloadsAttached File  14 (Custom).JPG   52.67KB   15 downloadsAttached File  15 (Custom).JPG   55.71KB   15 downloadsAttached File  16 (Custom).JPG   87.25KB   14 downloads

I will be using Ista water plant fertilizer which I won at the recent PCS raffle. Urea, Magnesium sulphate,  Ammonium sulphate, Monoammonium phosphate, Monopotassium phosphate are the ingredients in this product and will provide the the tank with the necessary N-P-K requirements while Seachem trace will provide the trace nutrients.

The carbon dioxide will be added through the addition of carbonated water until I get my hands on some Utricularia  graminiflora. After which, I will install a nano CO2 unit. The reason being the crypts and ferns are slow growing plants with low or no nutrient and CO2 requirement.

I am now reconsidering the shrimps in the tank and might keep blue velvet shrimps as they are more hardy than the crystal shrimps especially in summer months.

I will add the crypts tomorrow

Thank you.

#5 Bostave

Bostave

Memberships

• Forum Member

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:14 PM

19/07/2016

Hi,

The tank cleared nicely this morning. Attached File  1 (Custom).JPG   67.78KB   9 downloadsAttached File  2 (Custom).JPG   66.98KB   9 downloads

I commenced planting this afternoon.The plants were washed, old leaves and roots were removed. Photographs of the plants prior to planting.Attached File  a (Custom).JPG   125.49KB   10 downloadsAttached File  b (Custom).JPG   92.91KB   9 downloadsAttached File  c (Custom).JPG   90.1KB   10 downloadsAttached File  d (Custom).JPG   109.3KB   9 downloads

The photograph below show the final lay-out of the planted aquascape.

Attached File  44 (Custom).JPG   120.16KB   10 downloads

Once I was satisfied with the lay-out, I added 20 ml of Ista water plant fertilizer, 10 ml of seachem trace and 500 ml of carbonated water.

I will wait for a few weeks for the plants to established themselves and then I may change or add a few more plants.

I have been looking at nano canister filters this morning and once I have the funds for it, I will plant more plants in the location of current filter.

A short video

Please comment on my aquascape in the comment threads so I can improve on my aquascape.

Thank you.

Edited by Bostave, 19 July 2016 - 07:47 PM.

#6 Bostave

Bostave

Memberships

• Forum Member

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:34 PM

4/8/16

Hi,

Just a update of my tank, the cryptocoryne plants melted after four days. I waited for few days for the melt to cease and then removed the dead plant tissues. 

So this is what it looked this morning,

Attached File  1 (Large).JPG   77.61KB   10 downloadsAttached File  2 (Large).JPG   94.42KB   11 downloadsAttached File  3 (Large).JPG   80.8KB   11 downloads

I should have limited the number of crypts in the tank but since I just love them I went a bit far. So, I decided to get some stem plants namely, Syngonanthus sp belem, S. sp manaus, S. sp madeira, Tonina fluviatlis, Rotala sp.colourata, Ludigia arcuata and a few more which I will name if they make it into the aquascape. I also finally got Utricularia graminiflora (UG).Attached File  4 (Large).JPG   28.06KB   9 downloads

UG was removed from the mesh, segregated and then planted in smaller groups in the front and sides of the tank.

Attached File  5 (Large).JPG   97.26KB   13 downloadsAttached File  6 (Large).JPG   77.16KB   10 downloadsAttached File  7 (Large).JPG   78.01KB   12 downloads

Later 30 ml of the Ista water plant fertiliser and 10 mls of the Seachem trace were pored into the tank. This was followed by 500 ml of carbonated water. I will be adding  fertilisers and CO2  more frequently until UG gets established. After that the stem plants mentioned in this post will be added to the aquascape. The plants have been selected on the intensities of green colours, shapes and a few to add red colour to the aquascape.

Thank you for reading and looking forward for comments.

#7 Bostave

Bostave

Memberships

• Forum Member

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:14 PM

17/08/16

Hi All, 

The mini garden aquascape was redone this evening.

The Cryptocoryne species were removed and replaced with stem plants. I wanted to adopt the Dutch style of aquascaping.

The plants came from a tank that had snails in it. Hence the plants were rinsed and soaked in water to which snail-rid was added.

Photographs

Prior to planting

Attached File  1.JPG   82.73KB   11 downloadsAttached File  2.JPG   91.47KB   11 downloads

Plant rinse and snail-rid station

Attached File  3.JPG   82.8KB   10 downloads

Plants during the rinse

Attached File  4.JPG   111.83KB   12 downloadsAttached File  7.JPG   108KB   12 downloadsAttached File  10.JPG   97.74KB   12 downloadsAttached File  11.JPG   99.78KB   11 downloadsAttached File  15.JPG   101.6KB   11 downloadsAttached File  18.JPG   105.47KB   12 downloadsAttached File  18.JPG   105.47KB   12 downloadsAttached File  21.JPG   98.79KB   12 downloadsAttached File  23.JPG   86.12KB   12 downloadsAttached File  23.JPG   86.12KB   12 downloadsAttached File  26 (Large).JPG   91.29KB   12 downloadsAttached File  27 (Large).JPG   119.98KB   12 downloads

Rinsed plants after planting in the mini garden

Attached File  5.JPG   106.73KB   13 downloadsAttached File  6.JPG   86.69KB   13 downloadsAttached File  8.JPG   88.58KB   10 downloadsAttached File  9.JPG   99.35KB   11 downloadsAttached File  12.JPG   108.37KB   11 downloadsAttached File  14.JPG   73.89KB   11 downloadsAttached File  16.JPG   113.65KB   12 downloadsAttached File  17.JPG   121.9KB   11 downloadsAttached File  19.JPG   55.71KB   12 downloadsAttached File  20.JPG   52.93KB   13 downloadsAttached File  22.JPG   112.73KB   13 downloadsAttached File  24 (Large).JPG   113.17KB   13 downloadsAttached File  25 (Large).JPG   90.33KB   13 downloads

Final layout

Attached File  28 (Large).JPG   100.31KB   9 downloadsAttached File  29 (Large).JPG   138.47KB   11 downloads

I will add the names of the plants in this post tomorrow and attach a video as well.

30 mls of Ista water pant fertilizer was added along with CO2. 

Thank you for reading, Cheers

A special thanks to Mattia for bringing my CO2  cylinder to the meeting.

Attached Files

• Attached File  13.JPG   112.21KB   10 downloads

#8 Bostave

Bostave

Memberships

• Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:41 PM

19/08/2016

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in naming the plants and uploading the video.

The plants that made into the tank are  Hygrophila corymbosa 'Kompakt', Hygrophila corymbosa 'Anustifolia', Murdannia sp 'red', Persicaria sp ' Sal Paulo', Tonina fluviatilis, Syngnognanthus sp (Belem, Madeira and Manaus), Ludwigia arcuata, Bolbitis heudolitii, Utricularia graminiflora, Blyxa japonica and Alternanthera reineckii.

The video

I am going to wait until the plant grow. The fertilization regime 20mls of Ista water plant fertilizer and 5 mls of seachem trace. CO2 for 3-4 hours and light 8 hours each day.

No shrimps or fish still.

Thank you.

#9 Bostave

Bostave

Memberships

• Forum Member

Posted 14 September 2016 - 05:26 PM

14/09/16

Hi,

Just an update on my mini garden aquascape.

I introduced two pairs of high grade carbon rili shrimps in the aquascape. Also three Otocinclus were introduced. They cleaned the tanks surfaces, driftwood and the rocks of algae on the first night. 

The Utricularia graminiflora is doing really well and has established to my expectations. Actually all the plants are doing really well. 

I am happy with the layout . The Bolbitis in the middle is spreading nicely with the red plants in the backgrounds. Tonina and Sygnognanthus varietis are in the midground and break the flat layout of the carpet plants in the midground of the tank. 

I will be planting more taller red plants in the background after more powdered ADA substrate  is added in the front and normal ADA substrate is added in the back. 

The plants start pearling within 30 minutes of CO2 injection. 

I also have attached a small clump of Phoenix moss on the driftwood. 

My partner and a few friends who came over have said the the tank looks over-crowded. I cannot see that. So I am looking for your advice/opinions in the comments section.

I may not put any fish in there as I promised my partner to get permission to buy the altum angelfish that I won't buy a fish until we buy a house. Unfortunately, she remembers this.

I was unable to photograph the Otos as they hide behind the driftwood. Thank you for reading.

Photographs

Attached File  1.JPG   94.17KB   8 downloads

Attached File  2.JPG   84.66KB   8 downloads

Attached File  3.JPG   99.03KB   8 downloads

Attached File  closer.JPG   137.17KB   7 downloads

Attached File  shrimp1.JPG   130.77KB   8 downloads

Attached File  shrimp2.JPG   84.23KB   8 downloads

Video

#10 Bostave

Bostave

Memberships

• Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:32 PM

11/10/2016

Hi,

Update

Photos of the setup prior to changes. 

Attached File  1.JPG   92.17KB   7 downloads

Attached File  2.JPG   94.54KB   7 downloads

Utricularia graminiflora has been growing well and had started to rise at certain intervals. So I sprinkled some Amazonia powder over it to push it in the gravel. A small amount of the powder (10 grams) was used to achieve this. Not worried about the ammonia spike from it.

The Bolbiltis was trimmed to keep it growing from centre and to prevent it from pushing the Persicaria  towards the filter.

Ludwigia berviceps was replaced with Rotala colourata. I like the red on the right hand side of the tank and wanted to balance with some red colour on the left. The different shades of green are in the center and in front of the red plants.

Photos

Attached File  3.JPG   106.42KB   7 downloads

Attached File  4.JPG   77.71KB   7 downloads

Attached File  5.JPG   109.92KB   7 downloads

Attached File  6.JPG   96.27KB   8 downloads

Attached File  7.JPG   64.99KB   7 downloads

The fertilization has been via the aqua-pic solution which I won at recent PCS raffle.

Thank you for reading. 

Cheers, 

Bostave

#11 Bostave

Bostave

Memberships

• Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:35 PM

7/11/16

Just an update. I have been trimming the stem plants, performing weekly water exchanges, fertilizing (weekly) and adding CO2 (daily).

Photographs

Complete tank

Attached File  1.JPG   86.4KB   7 downloads

Bit closer

Attached File  3.JPG   108.94KB   7 downloads

Utricularia graminiflora is growing well and has formed a dense carpet in the front

Attached File  2.JPG   105.46KB   8 downloads

More will follow in the next couple of weeks.

Thank you

#12 Bostave

Bostave

Memberships

• Forum Member

Posted 17 November 2016 - 02:46 PM

17/11/2016.

Hi,
A short video after a trim!
https://youtu.be/qX5Ofe0_cpc

https://www.youtube....er#action=share

#13 Bostave

Bostave

Memberships

• Forum Member

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:37 PM

30/11/2016

Hi all,

Not much to report. 

The tank has matured well.

The foreground looks lush with UG. Tonina and Sygnonathus are doing well so are other plants.

Some crypts that were planted and melted are growing back.

The leftside of background was planted with Persicaria but it is growing slower than the ones planted near the filter. 

I had to introduce a common bristlenose catfish to remove the algae and he is doing much better job than the three Otocinclus (now back in with the shrimps). 

A short video of the aquascape

Thank you

#14 Bostave

Bostave

Memberships

• Forum Member

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:24 PM

27/12/2016

Last entry of the competition and year.

Firstly, a big thank you to PCS for holding this competition. It was an excellent excuse for me to convince the Mrs to bring this tank from storage and use it. I have created aquascapes in the past but they have been in three feet tanks and over. So this was a challenge and a learning experience. The limitation of the tank volume restricted the placement of hardscape. The initial idea of keeping crypts seemed good as the pruning would be minimum (or none) as the older crypt leaves melt to nothing but the small volume of the water meant some variation of temperature enough for the whole crypts to melt.

The expense for the project was hardly anything. The tank, light (donated by Fishroom) and the ferts came from the PCS auctions (all sponsors), plants and shrimps and the two catfish species from my existing tanks, COrefill ($30) at Aquotix but it has been used on all tanks. 

About the  aquascape

It has matured well. I like the contrast between the different shades of green and the red on the sides in the back. Tonina and Sygnonathus offer brightly coloured and structurally beautiful plants in the front. The shrimps are thriving in the 'jungle'.

A video of the aquascape showing differnt sides of the aquarium and the growth of the plants.

I enjoyed being a part of this year's competition and it would have been great to have more entrants. I want to congratulate PCS for this competition and hope they continue to hold such competitions next year. 

Thank you. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users