Photo

Riggers Indoor Aquaponics Setup

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 November 2014 - 02:21 PM

I'm just about to setup a small aquaponics system above one of my tanks and wondered if anyone else has tried this before?

I'm using expanded clay media in a small tub plumbed with 40mm outlet on a shelf above the tank, I made a small watering halo to sit nicely around the plant. It can run off the canister or any other pump. I'm using a dieffenbachia to start with, I like the verigated leaves and its a hardy indoor plant.
Above I'm using a small homemade led light :)

Pics to follow :)

Cheers
Rigs

Edited by Riggers, 12 November 2014 - 10:13 AM.

#2 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:08 AM

Will be interesting to see how you go bro!

#3 Festea Guy

Festea Guy
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:08 AM

Would it improve filtration if a the outlet of your canister was plumbed into one side of the tub and in the other side have bigger outlet say 45-50mm plumbed and then hose back down into your tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:35 PM

That's basically the idea Festae Guy, although I'm not plumbing the inlet because I like using the watering halo, it would work either way you want it but yes it will definately help filtration.. the plants feed on the fish waste, in turn it helps to filter the water as well as the expanded clay eventually building up its own bacteria :)
the 40mm outlet is sufficient for a canister, it would even handle 2 quite comfortably but 1 will give me the right flow for watering :)
In the last day I've decided that I might go a little bigger on the tub, something a bit narrower and longer so I can eventually add some more plants, I might ditch the halo and use a long spray bar.. I haven't decided yet :) the important part is getting the shelf solid on the wall.. It's not going to be super heavy but I don't want to take any chances..

Will be interesting to see how you go bro!

I know right! I'm kinda stealing the idea partially from vertical gardening, a little from hydroponics and a portion of aquaponics. Pics to come soon!

#5 Festea Guy

Festea Guy
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:00 AM

Wouldn't be much fish waste as the water going through the grow bed is going through the canister first? Still would work well and your outlet of the pot set to a height were it will flow through with right amount of water in the actual pot itself. I over think things but will be good to see pics once set up

#6 Leigh

Leigh
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:44 AM

Canisters won't consume nitrates, where as plants will. Be interesting to see how this goes. Many US hobbiest I seeing find a way to get Pothos consuming nitrates from their tanks.

#7 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:45 AM

You're spot on Leigh, the bacteria in the canister helps break ammonia down into nitrates and nitrites, the plants love the nitrogen!!! They thrive on it :)

Yeah Festae, there will be about an inch of water continually in the bottom of the tub :)

Off to burnings to get some more supplies :)

#8 Festea Guy

Festea Guy
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:48 AM

Oh ok nice I only run sponges and internals on my rack

#9 Furnix

Furnix
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:31 PM

there was a kickstarter project for this kind of thing (no idea what it was called) but it was just a 1 foot tank with a planter box on top (filled with expanded clay) and had a little pump pushing water up to the top and the water just dripping through and back into the tank. It was sold as being a fish tank and being able to grow veg (ideal for kitchens?) was a cool idea, don't know if it got off the ground tho.

#10 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:58 PM

Yeah sounds cool furnix! I like the idea of lower nitrogen in the fish tank and less water changes.. Once the system is running I'll pop up a weekly water test result :)

#11 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:06 PM

Some pics :)

Spray bar with 13mm hydro tubing and a couple of elbows
EB9EF34D-AC2E-45BD-8943-CE7DE490CF06.jpg

The planter box, half filled with expanded clay, I've got more to add but I'm going to wash it first
E8F72D0B-56B0-498C-B202-3BA2E4291663.jpg

The 40mm outlet tank fitting
2D44FD2E-DF07-4E69-A96D-4827692D8970.jpg

Low voltage 750lt/hr pump, only 18W!! I've fitted the same 13mm outlet to the pump
24D2EC7F-46A0-46CF-B0B5-6EB4CC1447C9.jpg

More pics to follow :)
Dunno why the pump pic is upside down but oh well

#12 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:27 PM

I use the Hoya vine plant Rigs in my ponds and HOB filters, it grows fairly quickly. It has nice thick leaves for storing nitrate and seems to grow in little light from the shed window. I just cut a piece off and stuck it in the Hob filter, it's grown from about a six inch cutting to about 1 mitre in about 6months.

Edited by sandgroper, 18 November 2014 - 10:13 PM.

#13 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 November 2014 - 01:52 AM

Nice one Sandy!! Thanks for the tip, I'll see if I can get my hands on some or come round and pinch a cutting from yours :)

#14 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:00 PM

Sure might be able to spare a leaf :lol: i'm sure i can find some that's rooted.

#15 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:43 PM

Great!! I'll catch up with you soon :)
Quick update,

Brackets are in, 80kg mungo bolts!! 4 of :) shelf up, tubs in, most of the plumbing is done :)
I'll get pics up tomorrow night when it's running :)

#16 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:17 AM

So bit of an update, it's all running smoothly now, no leaks or dodgy plumbing :) I've got one Dieffenbachia starbright and one Spathiphyllum, both can handle the constant water flow and the Spathiphyllum will flower eventually. I've gotta pick up a 2ft tube today for a small fluro that's going above, if it takes off I may move the planter box to the top of the tank and take out the shelf altogether :)

914A4099-9392-42FD-8510-DFE8D2805C0F.jpg

#17 Evil_Boof

Evil_Boof
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:07 AM

Hey riggers hows things mate?! Nice little setup youve made. i knocked up last week.. 100mm pvc filled with expanded clay. Drilled 3 50mm holes in the top to plant in and heaps of small holes for drainage.a few little tweaks and ill have it growing in no time

Edited by Evil_Boof, 12 November 2014 - 11:10 AM.

#18 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2014 - 02:08 PM

Hey Boof!! :) things are going great bud, how bout you?
Yeah cool man I think I know what you mean, you can put individual plants in each section and mount it to a wall ey?

#19 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:39 AM

Video of the system running nice n smooth :) tanks beautiful and clean, the plants seem nice n healthy. So far I've got a couple of dieffenbachia, Spathiphyllum and water ribbon :)

#20 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 November 2014 - 10:14 PM

Just a quick update, all is going well in the AP at the moment, I've added some syngonium to the grow bed and the plants are doing really well, nice n healthy with new growth spouting up.. :) the tank is also loving the added filtration and I can extend my water changes to 10 days quite happily without any nitrite buildup :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users