Photo

Silicone To Suit Foam Background

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dirtymattress

dirtymattress
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:08 AM

Sorry if this is a repeat topic but after an hour of research I'm a still unsure if "Selleys Glass Silicone" is suitable for use on a foam background due to it being an acidic cure.

I would have bought another tube of silicone at the LFS, but at $27 for a small tube I'd rather look for a more cost effective alternative.

#2 Hydonia

Hydonia
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:58 AM

http://www.creativep..._pondsealer.htm

I found the large size down south here at Lotus blossom, and this is what I used for three of my backgrounds. They are fine. Also you can use this stuff underwater, so it's great emergency silicone. From memory I paid 38 for the large bottle, which did a 5x2 with lots left over.

#3 dirtymattress

dirtymattress
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:24 AM

That is the exact same stuff I used purchased over the weekend but a hell of a lot cheaper for the larger tube and re-useable.

On that note I take it that you wouldn't recommend the Selleys glass silicone for this application?

#4 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:06 AM

Selleys make an aquarium safe silicone and as far as I know this is also used to attach foam backgrounds.
I have used this type of silicone on normal polystyrene when attaching it to frysavers.

#5 dirtymattress

dirtymattress
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE (Cawdor @ Apr 12 2010, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Selleys make an aquarium safe silicone and as far as I know this is also used to attach foam backgrounds.
I have used this type of silicone on normal polystyrene when attaching it to frysavers.

I was hoping someone could confirm this... thanks!!

#6 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:55 AM

QUOTE (dirtymattress @ Apr 12 2010, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was hoping someone could confirm this... thanks!!

Yes, I can confirm this too... I was searching through the shelf for a suitable silicone a while back and came across one Selleys product that specially mentions about it being used to seal aquariums... Read the labels... and it did mention some curing time before introducing fish/water...

#7 jason84

jason84
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:59 PM

just on that note. I have to modify my sump and I wont to do it as quick as possible! what the best (quickest) silcone that will dry and cure the quickest to get it back up and running???

#8 dirtymattress

dirtymattress
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE (jason84 @ Apr 12 2010, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just on that note. I have to modify my sump and I wont to do it as quick as possible! what the best (quickest) silcone that will dry and cure the quickest to get it back up and running???

If you check the link on the first reply I used that product over the weekend and on the package it said it has a 24hr curing period it costs around $27 for 75 grams. Hydonia said you can also use it underwater.

From what I've read on the Selleys product it that it has a 7 day curing period but it is around $10 for 310 grams.

#9 jason84

jason84
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:41 PM

That stuff look good. Which size would you recommend if I had to do about 2.3 linear meters?

#10 mipps

mipps
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:59 PM

I bought a "contractors" tube of Aquarium safe silcone that fits into a gun for my foam background a couple of weeks ago from Malaga Aquariums - under $10. One tube would be more than enough.

I tried the Selleys but it is difficult to manage for large area - the tube is pretty hard to squeeze.

#11 sydad

sydad
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE (dirtymattress @ Apr 12 2010, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you check the link on the first reply I used that product over the weekend and on the package it said it has a 24hr curing period it costs around $27 for 75 grams. Hydonia said you can also use it underwater.

From what I've read on the Selleys product it that it has a 7 day curing period but it is around $10 for 310 grams.

I've been using the Selley's product for the past 20 years or thereabouts.I have found the curing period requirement to be vastly overstated, with just enough time to develop a reasonable skin (about 4-6 hours) adequate for emergency seals when applied internally. For structural purposes (new aquarium) 3-4 days on 6mm glass is adequate.

I cannot understand why anybody would purchase the soft tubes when the caulking-gun tubes are so much cheaper, and only require a $3 caulking-gun to use.

Syd.

#12 fourdapostle

fourdapostle
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:26 PM

I'm with Syd. Have used the selleys product heaps of times with no probs....why would anyone want to use tubs of it to stick a background. I used a few dabs here and there on the back and no probs at all. If you ever need to remove it with it completly sealed it would be a nightmare....
A few dabs of selleys and your away.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users