New Oscars

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:34 PM

I am not normally a big fan of Oscars, however when I walked into the store and saw these guys I had to have them. They are stunning adults but unfortunitly looks like two boys. They have a few more extra large ones at the store might have to see if there are any girls biggrin.gif

Sorry about the quality of the photos and the dirty glass...........

Tony

Attached Files

#2 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:25 AM

thats a pretty intense orange!

#3 Mudjimba

Mudjimba
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:55 AM

Very Very Nice Tony. Stunning.
You will become a fan quickly with these guys I'm sure.(If you haven't already)

all the best with them

cheers

#4 Angelo

Angelo
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:44 AM

they look stunning, gotta love red oscars. btw, how do you know they are 2 boys?? as far as i know you cant tell the sex just by looking at them unless you vented them? I've got 2 at the moment & I am not sure of the sex either. either way oscars are great!

where did you buy them from?

#5 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (Angelo @ Jun 12 2010, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
where did you buy them from?

Dude, read the title of the thread... tongue.gif

#6 Angelo

Angelo
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:31 PM

lol..if you read the title of the topic on the main forum page it only said "New Oscars" lol...my bad.

#7 jaykay28

jaykay28
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2010 - 05:50 PM

They look like my oscars, I traded 4 of them last week at Malaga, The 2 red's an albino and a tiger oscar.

Those 2 reds were only 10cm when I got them, and cost $8.00 each.

I'm glad they have gone to someone who loves them already, I actually thought I had 4 girls.....lol

So after 18 months of Oscars, I have decided to give Discus ago.

Cheers Jaykay.

#8 joey

joey
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:15 PM

these oscars are crazy.
made me want to get some now. Do they show aggression to other Oscars?

#9 jaykay28

jaykay28
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:22 PM

The 4 that I had, would have friendly aggression with each other, mostly defending there territory. They paired off, 2 each end of the tank.

When they did fight, it used to send my dogs running for the door, they were shit scared of the oscars.

#10 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:47 PM

I am not normally a big fan of Oscars, however when I walked into the store and saw these guys I had to have them.
From what you've stated your not a fan of natural oscars but these manmade ones have tickled your fancy! laugh.gif

When if comes to oscars I believe that the natural forms should be kept intact, and these manmade line breds are just made and kept by people wanting to make money out of fish and should be banned from the club, oppps sorry, just kidding I accidently jumped on top of Tonys horse.. smile.gif tongue.gif

But I really like these fish, I seen them at Kevs, very nice smile.gif Can I post these pics on the luohan aus site? they would love them too!

Cheers
Den smile.gif

#11 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:54 PM

if breeding for naturally occuring traits within a single species, had anything to do with hybrids, you might have made some amount of sense. i award you no points. cheers

#12 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:57 PM

if breeding for naturally occuring traits within a single species, had anything to do with hybrids, you might have made some amount of sense. i award you no points. cheers

Those fish are manmade through a long and vigorous breeding selection process and just like flowerhorns do not occur in the wild, I get full points! tongue.gif

So tranced your saying its OK to manipulate a fish far from the wild form as long as you keep it withing the species? at the end of the day there is no difference, you have created animals for a hobby that have zero conservation value, and if you ask any credited ichthyologist they will agree that the hobby has zero conservation value even if we tried, simply because we dont have natural selection taking place in a large enough gene pool, the hobby is too artificial to have any conservation value.

Its time people like you get over yourself, you are not being a conservationist crusader by keeping any fish in an aquarium! If you think you are you are delusional. Save fish by avoiding things that destroy waterways, its that simple.

Cheers
Den

#13 luohanfan

luohanfan
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:07 PM

As soon as anyone take a fish home and breeds it in there tank, there selectively breeding.. whether they realize it or not..
They have taken the fish away from having a chance at natural selection as soon as the buyer "selects" the fish at the store..
They choose a fish for best colour, shape, etc.. and therefore start the selective breeding process, which soon becomes line breeding for generations, which is anything but natural, and in no way will this occur in nature...

Sorry but i think den gets full points smile.gif

#14 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE (Den @ Jul 10 2010, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Those fish are manmade through a long and vigorous breeding selection process and just like flowerhorns do not occur in the wild, I get full points! tongue.gif

So tranced your saying its OK to manipulate a fish far from the wild form as long as you keep it withing the species? at the end of the day there is no difference, you have created animals for a hobby that have zero conservation value, and if you ask and credited ichthyologist they will agree that the hobby has zero conservation value even if we tried, simply because we dont have natural selection taking place in a large enough gene pool, the hobby is too artificial to have any conservation value.

Its time people like you get over yourself, you are not being a conservationist crusader by keeping any fish in an aquarium! If you think you are you are delusional. Save fish by avoiding things that destroy waterways, its that simple.

Cheers
Den

with respect to cichlid society, whose aim to to prevent the crossbreeding of different species, then yes they are two completely different things. i have no idea why your talking about conservation, and waterways, i never mentioned any of these things, perhaps your just trying to derail what im saying wink.gif cheers

#15 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:14 PM

Well said Den. Anyone who has any species out of its natural habitat, regardless of good intentions, and thinks they are a conservationist, is delusional, almost as delusional as anyone who thinks this thread is going to stay on any track whatsoever smile.gif it is well and truly derailed.

#16 JimmyTheFish

JimmyTheFish
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:17 PM

They aren't cross bred though Den. Just a line bred mutation if you will. From what I gather this site is fine with that scenario, just not hybrids. As hobbyists, I reckon, and maybe most will agree, its the enjoyment of keeping fish whatever it is, that keeps us going. I could include discus, bettas, or german anything in this discussion, so where do we draw the line. I in particular, don't enjoy mutations (with a few exceptions) or hybrids, as I am what some would call a heinz 57 (Canadian term for mixed) snob, but they are very nice fish with exceptional colour, so enjoy them Tony.

What has conservation to do with it. Are Oscars endangered in the wild?! I'm sure Tony isn't going to drop them off in a natural waterway, are you Tony biggrin.gif.

#17 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:30 PM

the only people who mention conservation are those with not enough actual substance to fill out a post that is on topic wink.gif

#18 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:38 PM

Jimmy sorry but there is a second discussion going on that you appear unaware of, Tony has been very vocal in influencing the club to take a strong stance against manmade fish such as flowerhorns, however he has shown he has a tolerance for certain manmade fish such as these manmade oscars, and I was just outlining that fact.

Cheers
Den smile.gif

#19 luohanfan

luohanfan
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE (JimmyTheFish @ Jul 10 2010, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As hobbyists, I reckon, and maybe most will agree, its the enjoyment of keeping fish whatever it is, that keeps us going. I could include discus, bettas, or german anything in this discussion, so where do we draw the line.

Why does a line have to be drawn?
i understand when it comes to dying and mutilating fish,
But why hybrids?
after all, "its the enjoyment of keeping fish whatever it is, that keeps us going. " And the hobby, full stop..

#20 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:55 PM

i cant speak for tony, but i think he is against fish that are hybridised between different species, not fish that appear different within the same species.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users