Photo

1100ltr Tank Progress

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:36 PM

So I thought I may as well do a "progress journal" on the new tank I am setting up.

I have been in the process of putting a new tank in my shed. Tank is 200x75x75cm. 1100Ltr approx

The tank it's self, I am getting off a mate who got it to put in his house, but now is re-building down south so sold it to me for $400. Bit of tidy up needed to be done, but no leaks.. So Score as far as I'm concerned! It came with a wooden stand which I wasn't really interested in after seeing just how much weight the 2, 6x2x2ft tanks I have already put on their stand/cabinet and current wooden floor they are on. "Shed has a concrete slab base thankfully"

Posted a WTB or "build" should I say steel stand in the classifieds. Tony "Barf" got back to me that day and the stand is now built ready to pick up Sunday morning, 3 days later!

Thanks to Bowdy for being an all time lad and helping me out with a trolley to move the tank Monday and also giving me a lift Sunday morning to pick up the stand.

Current fish I have going in the tank:

Bay Snooks
Jags
Dovii's
Jardini
Plecs

I would also love to get my hands on some P Bass in the not to distant future along with a Mangrove Jack and a Pimelodus Ornatus Cat "which seem hard to get anything of any decent size atm" and then breed some of the pairs of American Cichlids I already have in separate tanks.

Cheers, Sam

Firstly had to remove the door so the tank/stand could fit through! A lazy 9mil clearance.

Put up some black builders film to stop any debris/dust coming off the old comcrete shed.

Then posted a WTB in the classifieds to get a steel stand made to replace wooden one. Tony "Barf" replied almost straight away. Popped out to his beautiful home to check out what he was making it from and drop off payment.

Got a message 3 days later and stand was complete!

Picked up the stand with Bowdy this morning and with his help got it through the door and in place with ease! "Cheers again bro"

Laid some ply and gave the joints and front a spray. Mainly joints to stop rust as there will be a cover enclosing filtration etc.

Moved it with ease thanks to some glaizer suction cups and a big trolley for "tank movin"

Up on the stand. Needs a bit of clean up "old 3D background" Glass is all top notch.

Got in and ripped the existing background off, gave it a clean and moved it into place. Placed a couple of bricks behind end legs and walls to make sure there is enough room to run piping for filtration as well.

Went to Bunnings as grab some PVC piping to start building the filtration. Gave them a spray with a black enamel and let dry while I began to tidy up the inside of the tank.

Only actually "hit home" how big it was when I had to climb in to clean the excess silicone left from removing the background!

After finishing cleaning the inside of the tank I placed the pipework in to see what it looked like. No glued in place yet.

Used the existing bulkhead fittings that were still in good shape. Attached a fitting to the end to match up with the pipes. Can all be dismantled by unscrewing the back of the bulkheads.

Overflow inlet.

Outlet at the other end.

Also attached two ball valves to control the flow.

Waiting for pond sealant to dry on internal pipes on the "fish watchin" couch I just moved in.

Dog bed for fish watching I built a while ago tongue.gif

Thought I may as well knock up the base stand for the 4x2 sump tank while I waited for pond sealant to dry.

Realized thanks to Bowdys input that I didnt really need any excess pipes in the tank. Just run a strainer straight off the top.

Filled it with water and outlet seems to work perfectly. Now just have to pick up sump, pump and media and should be up and cycling in no time!

Put the outlet inplace.

Picked up the sump and pump this arvo. Just waiting for the glue to dry where I removed the ball valve on the return pipe then I'll give it a test run.

Got the flow and water level pretty much sussed. Ened up putting existing pipe back in the tank as it wasn't draining fast enough straight from the surface. Working great now at almost 6000 liters an hour.

Put an ehiem I had running on another tank in sump "didn't think it would hurt" to try start cycling it. Popped 2 15cm featherfin Synadontis that are swimming round living the space!

Also put some white sand in it I had" and driftwood. Playing around with the layout of the wood for about an hour and am sort of happy where it is at the moment.

Get some glass for Monday and silicone the baffles into sump and put media in.

Edited by SamJohns, 22 April 2012 - 12:11 AM.

#2 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

Photobucket App is worth the free download for anyone who hasn't already cottoned onto it!

#3 Barf

Barf
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

When working with steel you should really where steel caps boots...

Thanks for the beers Sam, cant wait to see the progress.

#4 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

Haha....

I should've borrowed my housemates! Thongs were fine.

I'll chuck some more pics up as I go.. Tank needs a bit of a tidy up and an old 3D background removed. Hopefully get it started tomorrow arvo. Nice to meet you man..

Hope your house sells quick!

#5 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

Next time, add the wood after adding the tank to the stand, not before tongue.gif

Are you going to paint the bare steel? I would recommend atleast a coat of cold galv after cleaning the welds with a wire brush if they havent been already.
Personally, I would have sprayed a coat of matt black as well before putting in the shed, unless you are planning on covering with timber or something.

Looking good tho smile.gif

#6 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

Thank you!

It is a fun little project that is coming together quite quickly!

I will definately be giving it a coat to avoid rust. My house mate works with sheet metal. So I will have a peace of matt black bend to slide on over the front enclosing filtration etc and I will be hanging a light from the roof. Also looking at building my own filtration, but haven't made a final decision on what kind yet.

Oh and thanks for the tip on the driftwood wink.gif

#7 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:30 PM

Tank in! No more heavy lifting!!

#8 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:17 AM

Sump ready to be constructed!

Anybody else built a sump for an 1100Ltr tank?

Whats a good size tank to do it in?

Also what size return pump? I was thinking either a 5 or 7000Ltr an hour.

#9 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:57 PM

Sorry. My muck up. Accidentally quoted the whole thing on my phone! Delte this if you like.

Edited by SamJohns, 21 April 2012 - 10:10 PM.

#10 Barf

Barf
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:23 AM

QUOTE (SamJohns @ Apr 13 2012, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Realized thanks to Bowdys input that I didnt really need any excess pipes in the tank. Just run a strainer straight off the top.

Looking good Sam

Where did you get hold of the strainer?

#11 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

QUOTE (SamJohns @ Apr 18 2012, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sump ready to be constructed!

Whats a good size tank to do it in?

Also what size return pump? I was thinking either a 5 or 7000Ltr an hour.

PM Danotaylor, hes just put a sump together for a ridiculously huge tank smile.gif

#12 Niz

Niz
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:22 AM

I used an old 6x2x2 for my 1658 litre tank. A couple of baffles to separate mechanical filtration from biological, and a spot for heaters and return pump.

I threw a 8000l/h pump on it.

#13 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE (Barf @ Apr 22 2012, 08:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looking good Sam

Where did you get hold of the strainer?

Cheers Tony!

Tank came with bulkheads, strainers and some pipes. I think I am going to get one with not so fine holes though.

Going to find glass today and put the baffles in the sump!

Thanks for the info. I got a sump tank. 4x2x1.5ft. 6000L return pump is doing the trick. Now just to drain the sump and pop the baffles and media in once it's dry and re fill it.

#14 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

Water nice and clear when I woke up this morning. Think I'm happy where the wood is for now.

Still need to get a stronger light. Just running a 4ft single globe i had lying around.

Deceiving from the front how much room there actually is.

Edited by SamJohns, 22 April 2012 - 01:42 PM.

#15 YIN93

YIN93
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

Coming along nicely Sam. Looking sweet

#16 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:49 PM

Thanks.

I am very happy with how everything is going. Its a fun project that is for sure.

Just can't wait to add fish haha.

#17 Evil_Boof

Evil_Boof
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

hey mate.. tanks looking awesome.. cant wait to see how u do your sump tank.. im sure it will be sweet!

i like the way the overflow is on the tnak, just that little pickup at the top is neat as

#18 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

Cheers Boof. Bit of mucking round but w I've got it runing really good with a 6000Ltr return pump running full steam!

Tackle the sump tomorrow.

#19 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

Serious looking set up and nice fish list.

Looking forward to seeing an end product! smile.gif

#20 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:33 PM

Thanks Anka! Me too!

I already have all those fish. Just popped down to Aquotix and put a down payment on the black ID shark ill pick up in a couple of weeks when it's all settled. Spotted a nice asian river cat i might grab as well. That and a motoro ray which I have my eyes on and that will do for now. Would love some P Bass in the future, maybe swap them with the snooks I currently have. But no big deal rite now.

Just working on the sump now. Took a nice chuck out of my finger on some Perspex haha.

"Another glass of red to numb the pain"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users