Photo

Why are Saratoga so expensive?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 KrAmEr

KrAmEr
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2007 - 04:24 PM

Just wondering why they are so expensive when they are a native fish? If any experts could answer it would be appreciated :wink:

#2 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2007 - 04:46 PM

I think they are quite hard to aquaculture, also most of the expensive species are not from Australia right?

Mabey it is the costly shipping due to their size?

Nic

#3 KrAmEr

KrAmEr
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2007 - 04:50 PM

I thought that they would be wild caught....
But maybe there imported from Asia?

#4 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2007 - 05:07 PM

They are farm bred mainly in QLD. Not imported from Asia.

They are not really that expensive, most LFS buy the for $30-40

#5 DR14GoNF14SH

DR14GoNF14SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2007 - 05:10 PM

"also most of the expensive species are not from Australia right? "

saratoga = australian arrowana

nic, u dont mean "expensive" as in the asian arowanas do you? coz i dont think that is what kramer is referring to...

the saratoga/aussie arro is indeed native to australia and it is a good question you ask... why are we paying more here for a native fish that you can buy cheaper in the US???? doesnt make any sense...

i would also be interested in finding an answer to this mind boggling question...hehe :wink:

#6 DR14GoNF14SH

DR14GoNF14SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2007 - 05:12 PM

so if the lfs pays $30, shouldnt we be paying $60... i commonly see and myself have paid as much as $120 for a tiny baby jardini... the mark up is redic... laugh.gif

#7 Iamsam

Iamsam
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2007 - 05:17 PM

(Peckoltia)
They are farm bred mainly in QLD. Not imported from Asia.

They are not really that expensive, most LFS buy the for $30-40

NO WAY there is no way that shops are buying them at 40$ unless there like 5 cm

#8 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2007 - 05:17 PM

Lei's i have seen wholesale from $29+ jardinis a little more.

You must appreciate that LFS's have huge over heads, they need to make a quid.

#9 KrAmEr

KrAmEr
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2007 - 05:20 PM

(DR14GoNF14SH)
so if the lfs pays $30, shouldnt we be paying $60... i commonly see and myself have paid as much as $120 for a tiny baby jardini... the mark up is redic... laugh.gif

Yeah I agree.
It's outrageous I tells ya laugh.gif

#10 Iamsam

Iamsam
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2007 - 05:23 PM

you cant get a decent size saratoga for 30$ maybe a tiny 10cm but if you want a nice 25cm wholesale's there about 80

#11 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2007 - 05:29 PM

$90-100 retail for a sara. Feel sorry for whatever LFS you are working at.

#12 cichlid hunter

cichlid hunter
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2007 - 06:01 PM

shops have little to no mark up on it

Why would the shop bother selling it then smile.gif

#13 temptazn

temptazn
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2007 - 06:55 PM

the only reason stopping me from getting one
quick some1 try breeding them, that'll make the LFS sell them for cheaper... rite?
vic

#14 Iamsam

Iamsam
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:13 PM

(cichlid hunter)
shops have little to no mark up on it

Why would the shop bother selling it then smile.gif

thats why you dont see many shops with expensize fish, becouse they cant put normal mark up on, and have to reduce the price to be able to sell

#15 cichlid hunter

cichlid hunter
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:15 PM

oh ok cheers for clearing that up smile.gif

#16 Iamsam

Iamsam
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:24 PM

but to the actuall question, i think the reason they would be soo expencsive is becouse the are large thus hard+more expensive to transport, can be hard to get to eat so wholesales must feed live food (expensive) becouse there hard to breed in captiveity(i havent heard of it being done), becouse they jump ( large wholesale tanks have no lids thus the lose many fish) becouse there is collection limits on them from the wild, with larger ones the stress a lot during stress resulting in high death rate, but hey why are other nice fish expensive??? theres allways a reason

#17 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:31 PM

(Iamsam)
but to the actuall question, i think the reason they would be soo expencsive is becouse the are large thus hard+more expensive to transport, can be hard to get to eat so wholesales must feed live food (expensive) becouse there hard to breed in captiveity(i havent heard of it being done), becouse they jump ( large wholesale tanks have no lids thus the lose many fish) becouse there is collection limits on them from the wild, with larger ones the stress a lot during stress resulting in high death rate, but hey why are other nice fish expensive??? theres allways a reason

I think you have a poor understanding on the topic mate. No disrespect meant. All the little fellas you see in stores and on wholesale lists are farm bred in QLD. Small Sarra's are not a hard fish to feed, alot easier then most tankbusters/large fish. I don't think many if any large fish you see for sale would be wildcaught, rather grow outs of smaller fish. They are expensive due to generally producing lowish numbers of juveniles in comparison to other fish. The average male holds 30-60 fry. For a farm to make a decent quid they have to seel them for say $10-20 to large wholesalers, who then onsell to retail for ~$40per fish + shipping. Most stores generally put 100-150% on livestock = ~$100-120 per fish retail.

I'm also not sure what wholesale lists you have been looking at seeing small toga's for 90-100.

#18 Iamsam

Iamsam
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:33 PM

im not talking small sara's who wants a small one im talking descent size ie 30cm, you aint going to buy a 30cm sara for 40$ wholesale

#19 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:39 PM

At no stage did I state that 30cm sarra's go for $40. I think you need to read my posts a little more carefully.

Generally speaking you don't tend to see large sarra's on wholesale lists, well it is not the norm. Smaller fish are far easier to deal with and far easier to onsell. Most people buying sarras will want a small one as they want to see their fish grow. Large fish are a pain!

I don't have much more to say on the subject, so I will leave it at that!

I little punctuation wouldn't go astray either. Makes for much easier reading!

Take it easy,

Alex

#20 KrAmEr

KrAmEr
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:44 PM

(Peckoltia)
(Iamsam)

I think you have a poor understanding on the topic mate. No disrespect meant. All the little fellas you see in stores and on wholesale lists are farm bred in QLD. Small Sarra's are not a hard fish to feed, alot easier then most tankbusters/large fish. I don't think many if any large fish you see for sale would be wildcaught, rather grow outs of smaller fish. They are expensive due to generally producing lowish numbers of juveniles in comparison to other fish. The average male holds 30-60 fry. For a farm to make a decent quid they have to seel them for say $10-20 to large wholesalers, who then onsell to retail for ~$40per fish + shipping. Most stores generally put 100-150% on livestock = ~$100-120 per fish retail.

I'm also not sure what wholesale lists you have been looking at seeing small toga's for 90-100.

Well thanks for the answer :wink:

And I did mean the smaller ones that you would normally see for sale not the larger ones.

Also I would agree that they are not hard to get them eating, I got mine eating hikari gold ohmy.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users