• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:11 AM

Hey guys

Need some suggestions on what to rename this section to. Just Tank Busters? And also a better description (<- more important IMO).

The current title and description are no longer suitable. Most fish other than cichlids can be categorised into other forum sections now (catifish, community, marine etc).

Currently -

Tank Busters and Other Fish
Use this board for fish which dont fall into other boards categories.

Let me know your thoughts.

Daz

#2 Tropo

Tropo
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:17 AM

TANK BUSTERS AND PREDATORS biggrin.gif

#3 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:20 AM

My two cents worth is that the original way it was setup is fine...

The first three topics is related to fish spieces... or in regards to fish themselves..

The 4th and 5th topics are related to marine discussions and community & planted discussions... they are specific to the setup... not the fish...

#4 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:30 AM

Hey Ivan

The goal is to avoid "non-tank busters" from getting posted in here. Quite often people are unsure where to post about their fish.

Because of the "Other Fish" and "Use this board for fish which dont fall into other boards categories" title/desc when often see topics about smaller fish like tetra, guppies etc which the moderators eventually move. They're more suited to Community but that's not clear at the moment when reading the forum descriptions.

Daz smile.gif

#5 Jaraqui

Jaraqui
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:08 PM

Perhaps not much of a change but more specific?
Use this board for fish which are not suited for community aquariums and do not fall under the other boards catagories.

#6 Scales

Scales
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:07 PM

its good to see this is up for discussion, tankbusters and predators is a good suggestion.

or maybe having sub-sections in the cichlid section instead of a dedicated section on its own, ie african, american, asian ect to save clutter and to remove tb section as it isnt really that higher traffic anyway?

i like the tb + pred idea so also maybe a mix of the two so a more specific index can be achieved?

#7 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE (monstr red devil keepr @ Mar 19 2010, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
or maybe having sub-sections in the cichlid section instead of a dedicated section on its own, ie african, american, asian ect to save clutter

What about your non-cichlid exotics (togas, birchirs, dats etc)? Or is that what u meant by asian?

Like u said we've got to keep the clutter down and adding more sections/forums may add to the mess. Also as you say there isn't too much activity in the TB section which prob doesn't warrant breaking it into smaller sections.

Looking at past posts they're either exotic TBs from all over the world, as well as some natives and also the larger more agro amercian cichlids. The TB category seems to revolve more around size and temperament rather than locality.

The 'predator' label could just add to the confusion. There's plenty of smaller africans that are awesome predators wink.gif

When I think TBs I think BIG biggrin.gif

Tau5's description is a good start!

Daz

#8 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:52 PM

My two cents worth again...

I don't think creating more sections will necessary make it easier or more organised... There will certainly be some sections that will then be under-utilised... In fact it would be more work for the moderators to tidy since there are more chances that someone would get it wrong...

Alright... take a step back and take a look at your current forum sections/topic... and picture a young kid who has just got his first fish tank as a present from his dad/mum who have no idea about fish keeping... but the kid is great at computers and found this website... sign up and join as a member (well that's provided he is allowed to join???).... anyways assuming he is allowed to join (otherwise the parent can join, and the kid uses the account), and the pet shop has sold him some guppies since apparently they are the easy starter fish or first timer fish... he looks at the forum listing... If this young kid was me.... excuse my french... I would say "where the f*%& do I post my question about guppies" being a beginner how do I know that I should post in the community tank section if I don't even know what about the fish?? Especially without any more description under the section except "This Forum is moderated by the Aquarium Society of WA. "

Nothing against the "smart" people with years of experience in fish keeping and know that guppies are community fishes... but isn't the forum about sharing information to those who need information... and what good is it if you try to be so precise in your categorisation that people like me find it hard to know which forum I should post in??

And as "Tank Busters and OTHER FISH"... Use this board for fish which dont fall into other boards categories. IMO the original intent was to have all other fishes that do not fall into any of the above categories to be posted in here... it is not just for Tank Busters... It is like the process of elimination, it is a cichlid... no.. it is a catfish or loach... no... Ahh... Tanks Busters and Other Fish... Imagine there is no section for other fish.... where is the poor kid going to post his/her question after that since none of the other sections would relate to his/her questions... (except Community and Planted Tank says those who know it all)...

Imagine picking up the phone to call the customer service of your bank/phone company... if the last option was not "for all other enquires, press "0" or something"... how piss would you be if they do not provide the last option of pressing "0"???

I still believe that the first three sections are meant for fishes ... and the next two sections are about the setups...
It is possible to just keep only guppies in one tank, so it is consider a community tank??

Anyways, I will leave it to the moderators to decide... but I just got one last statement to add...

KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)...

#9 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE (Ivan Sng @ Mar 19 2010, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...... sold him some guppies since apparently they are the easy starter fish or first timer fish... he looks at the forum listing... If this young kid was me.... excuse my french... I would say "where the f*%& do I post my question about guppies" being a beginner how do I know that I should post in the community tank section if I don't even know what about the fish?? Especially without any more description under the section except "This Forum is moderated by the Aquarium Society of WA. "

Nothing against the "smart" people with years of experience in fish keeping and know that guppies are community fishes... but isn't the forum about sharing information to those who need information... and what good is it if you try to be so precise in your categorisation that people like me find it hard to know which forum I should post in??

And as "Tank Busters and OTHER FISH"... Use this board for fish which dont fall into other boards categories.

Hey Ivan

You've given a perfect example of why we need clearer descriptions against the 2 forums mentioned.

I've also been given the go ahead from Brett to improve the description against the Community & Planted section. So that will be done shortly.

"Community" meaning suited to (but not limited to). "Tank Buster" meaning not suited to community pretty much.

Daz

#10 Scales

Scales
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:46 PM

how bout a cichlid section, as is now but with location sub sections which would include "tb cichlids" and a non cichlid section (the current tb section) sub devided the same way. the thing is that the sections as they are are too broad and in a hobby where specifics are important its would be nice to have a specific places to post. the forum has had the same sections for years yet the hobby has expanded exponentially, morphing with the times would make more sence than leaving a 'kiss' philosophy in place in a forum with complex topics. this is not a new topic of discussion (the confusion of where to post, how many times have you seen 'mods feel free to move because i didnt know where to post?') and could also be solved with a 'where to post' guide for beginners and expierianced hobbiests alike.

i keep catfish, cichlids, non-cichlids and aquatic flora with over 20 tanks and would still call myself a beginner in relative terms but refrain from posting expieriances (mainly with american cichlids) because they fall into 2 catagories as the forum is now. like do i put my 'my expieriance in breeding americans' in the cichlid section or the tb section? the fish i refer to (jags, devils synsp ect) fit in both but it is not clear where the post should live as they are both tb's and cichlids. same as the other end of the scale with guppies, they fit into both 'other fish' and 'community' section.

the fact is the only new or updated section in the last few years has been the 'restricted area' which we all know was a knee jerk reaction added because of childish politics between this and another forum, a new skin or two (woopy do) and software changes (whos stupid idea was it to put in the new post style only to have it changed back again, a change for the better mind you) instead of a revamp of things that actually matter to the hobby.

this is my favourite and most relevant fish site but the least posted on...... go figure

#11 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 20 March 2010 - 12:14 AM

I have to correct a few things here.

QUOTE (monstr red devil keepr @ Mar 19 2010, 11:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the fact is the only new or updated section in the last few years has been the 'restricted area' which we all know was a knee jerk reaction added because of childish politics between this and another forum

The only area not open to everyone is the Club Member section, which was created in November 2006. Looooong before any of that stuff you refer to happened.

a new skin or two (woopy do)

I worked my butt off for the new skin in an effort to give our forum a more modern and contemporary look and to organise information in a way that benefits the users. To have you belittle this effort like you did is quite frankly insulting. It may not mean much to you but the "new skin" has been asked for by users and has been on the agenda ever since I joined the committee. Last year I decided to get the ball rolling and spent considerable time coding and testing and so did Daz. Like I said, fair enough if you are indifferent to the new look and layout, but don't belittle the effort.

this is my favourite and most relevant fish site but the least posted on...... go figure

I don't see the link between quantity of posts and quality of the site. Or did you mean that you don't post much here?
If people are not happy with something or have ideas, the committee needs to know. If there are sections missing or too many sections, let us know and we will start discussing it with you guys and seek feedback.

#12 Cicolid

Cicolid
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:20 AM

Very well said Tim.

I know how much time & effort you, Dazza & others have put into this website & I would like to congatulate you on the result.

Great job.

Col

#13 Graeme

Graeme
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:29 AM

Good luck with the renaming a section guys tongue.gif
it sure wont stop people posting in the wrong subsection.

About 1/3 of the tank busters are cichlids- shouldn't they be in the cichlid section? , A common question in the community tank section is on 2 cichlids ( discus and angels )- shouldn't that be in the cichlid section?

I think leave your forum how it is and just move the occasional odd post to where you feel it fits better
You guys do a good job with a difficult blend of people and fish
You are foremost a cichlid group and do that very well

my 2c

Graeme

#14 smellsfishy

smellsfishy
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 March 2010 - 05:58 PM

i think there should just be a livebearer topic?
and tank busters and others should be either tank buster and predators or something like tankbusters and monster fish?
my 4 cents worth laugh.gif

#15 Hydonia

Hydonia
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:25 PM

I like the idea of just calling it tank busters. Nice and generic. Like you Daz when I think tank busters I think big fish, not specifics. Or tank busters and predators, since I generally think BIG fish eat lots of little fish to get that big!

#16 Tucunare

Tucunare
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:05 PM

Big A## fish
Fish that will eat you
tank breakers
not for 4 footers
wheresmybabyanwhysmycatfishlookfull
dont mix with goldfish

im just messin but maybe it will lighten up this post.

people that do something for no return other than satifaction have my vote 100% wink.gif

#17 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:23 PM

How about leaving it as Tankbusters but in the description say something along the lines of For fish that grow over 30 cm.
I think the problem with wrong posts in this forum is mainly cos some people don't know what a tank buster is, or think it is just a highly aggressive fish.

Andrew

#18 Juls

Juls
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (werdna @ Mar 24 2010, 02:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How about leaving it as Tankbusters but in the description say something along the lines of For fish that grow over 30 cm.
I think the problem with wrong posts in this forum is mainly cos some people don't know what a tank buster is, or think it is just a highly aggressive fish.

Andrew

I agree that it needs to be made clear that a tankbuster is a larger fish, many new people don't even know what the term means.

I think that if your going to make concernable changes in one area, then potentially all areas need to be more closely looked at.

Perthcichlids actual intention I assume in it's infancy was to cater for cichlid keepers, the reality is however that apart from The perth koi society/club Perthcichlid is the only other aquarium fish club in perth (that i know about at least), it has gained fame slowly over time, and with the amount of shops pointing people this way, as well as just random off google people, Perthcichlid Forums at least have come to have to take the load of Perth aquarium keepers of many fish "other" than simply cichlids.

And I feel this is growing more and more, a simple case in point that a year ago i couldn't sell moss or shrimps on perthcichlid at any price, Yet i could sell the whole lot to perth people on Aquariumlife in minutes..

However now, the inverse is true, if only for the classifieds there is a variety of fishkeepers with other interests making regular visits to the site.

There is alot of perth people on Aquariumlife, Plecofanatics, discusforums ect ect which would make useful members of perthcichlid, but they may feel we don't cater for what they are interested in, and in doing that, they not neccessarily ever become interested in cichlids, and therefore you've lost a future potential club member by default.

This leads me to suggest that the overall direction of the sites actual classifications or expansion is that it begins to cater for a wider more specific range of fishkeeping in general, this is probably the last thing die hard cichlid keepers in the club want to hear. At some point you have to make the decision is perth cichlid just about cichlids or is it just about keeping fish in general regardless of what they are?

The reality is that the industry has become highly diversified, this has ment more people getting interested in fishkeeping, because this diversification has led to more niches within fishkeeping itself. From tiny little 10 litre aquariums with a couple of shrimps to thousands of litre aquariums holding fish that grow a metre long or more and everything in between.

If i was to make a new series of sections i'd probably come up with something "like" or "similar to" this, obviously it has to be thrashed out.

African Cichlids
South and Central American Cichlids
Discus and Angelfish (yes i realise these fit into the above topic, but they are a topic on there own most will agree)
Large Fish and Tankbusters
Small fish, shrimps and general community fish
Marine Fish
Angfa
Ponds and Coldwater Fish

In a totally different section
I would shift the technical, and fish health, and probably add a planted tank section, and a equiptment section, water parametres ect.

In terms of growing the site further, and ultimatly increasing the clubs membership i think it's probably a good idea to begin to cater for these new niches as they appear.
the reality is that most of us who come on the site, mostly do keep cichlids, but also many other types of fish, realistically tank busters are not always cichlids the point of this whole discussion is case in point.

anyway sorry for the huge post.
Juls

#19 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:53 PM

Thank you Juls for a comprehensive post. This is certainly a topic that we will discuss at the next meeting as well as committee meeting.
My opinion is that as a Cichlid society, our main focus is obvious, but that doesn't mean that on our forum we cannot have sections for a variety of other types of fish and aquatic life.

We should however be careful not to make the sections too specific, otherwise it means a low number of posts will result in a loss of interest. Something along the lines like you suggested would be good I think.

#20 Juls

Juls
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE (Cawdor @ Mar 24 2010, 11:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We should however be careful not to make the sections too specific, otherwise it means a low number of posts will result in a loss of interest.

I totally Agree I see many new forums fail by trying to be huge to begin with so I assume some research would need to be done to ensure we don't make specific sections that could become dead when they still would fit in other areas.

It's hard with the American cichlids section because many people keeping these fish don't even realize they are American either south or central.

It's quite likely to see apistogrammas and blue rams in the community or small fish sections then jaguars, rivilatus gold saums or Jack dempseys finding there way into the tankbuster sections.

We can provide all the right places but are we as a whole smart enough to use them? Will it turn into a moderaters nightmare?

Juls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users