Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

Peacock Bass In With Mangrove Jack And Barra?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 Neddy

Neddy
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:12 AM

Imo, If your going to sell your barra. Sell your 4ft, get a bigger tank, get your filtration sorted and get your tank cycled. That way your ready to go with your bass and not just throwing them in and wingin it with your water conditions! Do things right the first time around mate, its easier on the fish and yourself.

#22 scottyhooton

scottyhooton
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:15 AM

+1 neddy
prep is the key
these fish occupie massave territory in the wild i'm gonna say 6x2x2 min, for 2-3 fish either bass or jack

cheers , Scott

#23 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:28 AM

G'day

I think with tankbusters/large fish. The best thing to do is; start out with the biggest possible tank you can afford. If this tank will not accommodate the species you have chosen for most of its life, pick something else. I think people seriously underestimate the size that even a smaller pbass species like monocs can get to.

Here is a pic of some pbass I have kept in the passed. The big male in the pic is around 60cm. Keeping a fish of this size and power in even a 6x2 is just down right cruel.

#24 Neddy

Neddy
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:41 AM

Yeh, but he can't afford a new tank atm, so that makes it not cruel, right??

#25 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:15 AM

It's irasponsable Neddy.
At the end of the day with any pet if you can't afford the appropriate home for it then you don't get it until you have a suitable home for it and that home can be maintained to keep the pet happy and healthy.

#26 Sarah Jayne

Sarah Jayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:20 AM

Irresponsible by whom?

#27 Neddy

Neddy
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:53 AM

The pet owner sarah.

#28 Sarah Jayne

Sarah Jayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:04 PM

Edited by Sarah Jayne, 03 January 2014 - 06:34 PM.

#29 Sarah Jayne

Sarah Jayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:22 PM

Take the advice given or leave it.

#30 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE (Neddy @ Feb 28 2011, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeh, but he can't afford a new tank atm, so that makes it not cruel, right??

It's already been gone over. I will do so again regardless. If you do not have the financial ability to care for a pet, whether it be an appropriate sized aquarium for a fish or food and vet care for a dog, then the answer becomes quite simple. Don't purchase the pet to begin with, wait. Leave it until a point in your life where you can give that animal the care it needs and ultimately deserves. Ignorance is no excuse when you are dealing with the well being of a sentient being.

#31 Neddy

Neddy
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:27 PM

I'm guessing the sarcasm didn't show in that comment.

#32 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:42 PM

I've said it once and ill say it again. Jacks kill fish.... they will kill a barra and they will kill a peacock bass. I've tried many different fish with him and none have worked, only the red scats.

#33 knock

knock
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:38 PM

mate if your only 13 like has been said then i would suggest just go for it,buy a couple if you can afford.

it'll be a great learning curve for you and when it gets too big you might have to sell them or get a bigger tank.

i would just like to ask if the neh sayers have ever caught a butterfly, a tadpole, a frog or whatever kept them in a bucket and learnt things from that which has given you the passion and a bit of experience you now have and made a mistake here and there.

i'm sure all the great conservationists and animal loves did (steve irwin for one)
and others to come if still allowed to.

we learn from our mistakes, and something my old irish grandad use to say "you cant put an old head on young shoulders"

live a little love a little and enjoy life, there really are no boundaries

andy

Edited by knock, 28 February 2011 - 08:11 PM.

#34 Sarah Jayne

Sarah Jayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:59 PM

Edited by Sarah Jayne, 03 January 2014 - 06:35 PM.

#35 mattt

mattt
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:11 PM

go make some babies, that will be a nice learning curve too.

#36 knock

knock
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE (Sarahjayne1988 @ Feb 28 2011, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Knock so what your saying is that he should turn his tank into as fish meat blender? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? he wants our advice not some hippy POS "ohhh yeah it will be fine just try it" these fish are EXPENSIVE! get a gold fish keep it in a 'fish bowl' if you want to be CRUEL!

i use to keep ants in my draws, skinks in tanks, bees in jars with honey when i was little.. IMO that is a hell of alot diffrent!

this dude no matter what his age is wanting serious advice! dont be a ass!

sarahj, i'm saying buy a couple only. there's no difference at all they are all living creatures.

yeh he has asked for advice not a crucifixion

Edited by knock, 28 February 2011 - 08:24 PM.

#37 Sarah Jayne

Sarah Jayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:56 PM

Edited by Sarah Jayne, 03 January 2014 - 06:36 PM.

#38 knock

knock
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:19 PM

bugs, fish or whatever, your making my point more valid than i ever could.

what would you prefer your little girl played with bugs or barbie, and which would she learn more from?

Edited by knock, 28 February 2011 - 09:23 PM.

#39 Sarah Jayne

Sarah Jayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:26 PM

Edited by Sarah Jayne, 03 January 2014 - 06:36 PM.

#40 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (knock @ Feb 28 2011, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
mate if your only 13 like has been said then i would suggest just go for it,buy a couple if you can afford.

it'll be a great learning curve for you and when it gets too big you might have to sell them or get a bigger tank.

i would just like to ask if the neh sayers have ever caught a butterfly, a tadpole, a frog or whatever kept them in a bucket and learnt things from that which has given you the passion and a bit of experience you now have and made a mistake here and there.

i'm sure all the great conservationists and animal loves did (steve irwin for one)
and others to come if still allowed to.

we learn from our mistakes, and something my old irish grandad use to say "you cant put an old head on young shoulders"

live a little love a little and enjoy life, there really are no boundaries

andy

G'day knock.

This is a fish forum so people can get together and teach each other about fish keeping. The point you are trying to make is a little muddy to me. Fish asked for some advice on some fish, and a few people shared their thoughts. I stuck in my two bob worth, and it would have been the same answer from me if I was talking to a 10 year old or a 50 year old, as is irrelevant. Some young kids will pick up concepts and knowledge better than adults.

Fish keeping is all about learning curves, everyone has learned a few lessons the hard way. But do you think a good experience for a young fish keeper would be to buy a heap of large growing fish and see how they go? all that saved money and effort might leave a sour taste in the young chaps mouth. I think a far better experience for a young fish keeper would be to take some sound advice and have a largely positive experience. Rather than a tank full of dead fish. Nobody has been rude or mean, just giving a quick steer in the 'right direction'. Sitting back and just telling him to take a crack at it isn't helping anyone. Yes, everyone makes mistakes along the way but what would be the point in purposely making one?

Sorry buddy, just can't see any logic in your post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users