Photo

200L Marine

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Michaeal-959

Michaeal-959
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 April 2015 - 05:51 PM

looking to change my cichlid tank to marine. Just wondering if im heading in the right direction. was going to get a aqua one proskin g216, mainly because of the price and decent reviews. Am also after a suitable light for the tank. not exactly sure what filtration i need but i currently have a eheim cannister running but not sure if i should keep it or what? Also need some info on how often ill need to do water changes? Also if anyone knows of any decent light for an affordable price let me know :)

so main thoughts of concern are 

filtration

protein skimmer

water changes

light

thanks for any info

michael

#2 0zarrian

0zarrian
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:42 PM

Hey, im only new to marine but have done a lot of reading, (I don't know that much.... just a little) canister filters are no good for a reef system, stick to Live rock and a skimmer. i have a nano 60L with about 15Kg of live rock, which iv had for about 9 months problem free. stock is 2 small-medium clowns, a blue/green chromis and a peppermint shrimp and a few corals, an elegance, 3 zoa rocks, xenia, shrooms and some disk corals and i do a weekly 10% water change. also make sure you use RO/DI water. i am currently setting up a 200L of my own an am planing on running sumpless, with a Tunzes DOC 9004 skimmer and some Sicce Voyager nano powerheads and will just do a weekly water change with RO / salt mix.

I recommend head down to Vebas, i know its far for you from Hillarys but the guys down there have good advice. good luck. and welcome to the salt side

Skimmers are hard to pick go larger on the capacity and go for LED for your lights, best things since sliced bread. 

Edited by 0zarrian, 28 April 2015 - 08:46 PM.

#3 Michaeal-959

Michaeal-959
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:49 PM

i currently have a nano 30l which has started my addiction to corals and is probably going to make me broke D:

will most certainly be getting some sort of led lights but not sure what ones yet and am still browsing the skimmer options. The aquaone skimmer seemed good value for money. Does the live rock break down the nitrates and nitrites produced by the fish? 

Is using ro water and salt mix a cheaper option that buying the salt water? i have just been buying it as its rather convenient... 

ive been to vebas a few times on the weekends but they were rather busy both times and staff dont seem to be able to give you much time :/ there is a marine shop near by in wangara that is really helpful and as they are only marine know their stuff well.

#4 Chopstick_mike

Chopstick_mike
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:43 PM

Yes my bro has had his 6x2x2 marine tank for years he got all his info from the guys at ocean reef marines in wangara very helpful staff he gets his salt water delivered and stores it at his house in a big water container

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 aussiemcgee

aussiemcgee
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 April 2015 - 01:54 PM

Marines are heaps of fun and a big learning curve from fresh.
Check the journals here and online - the local aussie forum is MASA (masa.asn.au), heaps of journal and advice so I suggest you register and do a heap of reading asking questions and looking at the pics.
The WA division is MASWA and meets once a month at different places for behind the scenes etc and you get discounts at a range of lfs.

filtration; is done by the live rock and sand in the display tank and in the sump. Flow pumps in the display move solids around where they are removed manually during water changes and the dissolved nutrients (NO2/3, PO4), are removed by the protein skimmer (and reactors if you go down that path)

Flow pumps; Typically for softies and LPS you want 15 - 30x the system vol turnover per hour, more for SPS

protein skimmer; get one over rated - 2 to 3 x your system vol. Aqua 1s are ok, haven't had much to do with them but I believe they are an entry level unit.

water changes; As you would normally do for fresh. Most people find it easier to buy or collect your own water and store bulk amounts in IBCs or the blue drums. Regularity depends on your system but most commonly it is 10 - 50% a week or so... Ie in my system I have a length of hose connected to a standard gravel siphon, I siphon ~50% per fortnight and then a return pump transfers the new water from my storage into the tank - easy as !

light; LEDs are all the go at the moment, and there is a big range of them - prob just steer clear of the real cheap ones. But you can run high output T5s but you need to change the globes every 12 - 18 mths, or metal halides - mega bucks in power costs

Sump; definitely recommend one - they increase volume so help with parameter stability, and allow you a hidden area to run your skimmer, heater, reactors, dosing pumps, refugiums, dsb's etc You don't want to start spending all this cash and you have all your equipment hanging around the display !

#6 Michaeal-959

Michaeal-959
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:26 PM

I would love to add in a sump but I don't think my parents would like me gutting out my side draws to put a sump into them. Plan on just putting a protein skimmer on the side and building a hood with the lights built in and room for the skimmer.

All seems pretty straight forward just need to make a few purchases and the tough part deciding on the stuff to purchase...

Attached Files

Edited by Michaeal-959, 29 April 2015 - 09:27 PM.

#7 scottvh

scottvh
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 September 2015 - 08:39 PM

Can I ask what the deal is regarding the outlet of the sump going through the bottom of the tank.

Is there anyone around who does house calls with this drilling expertise?

Edited by scottvh, 04 October 2015 - 09:02 AM.

#8 scottvh

scottvh
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:09 PM

Ahhhhhhh - the overflow box :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users