My 6x2x2 Tank

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#1 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:36 PM

Well where do I start? This is a work in progress. I purchased a 6x2x2 tank, cabinet, and hood from someone off the forum. After a fair bit of discussion with a couple of people on the forum, and countless visits to a few LFS, I'm leaning towards doing a single species tanganyika tank. I kept the cabinet and hood that I bought, and sold the tank as I wanted new glass without any imperfections. My new 6x2x2 tank is being made now locally. I'm hoping that this tank will satisfy my "I want a bigger tank" desire..... well for a while anyway. I plan to get a background similar to the one Scottyhooton has on his tank (blue seaview one). I'm using crushed coral as the substrate, and have limestone pieces as decorations in the tank. I'm guessing that I will need to get more limestone though once I start setting up the tank. Filtration for the time being will be 2 x SunSun canister filters with media being Filter Wool pads, as well as coarse sponge, and Seachem Matrix. Might also put activated carbon or purigen in from time to time to polish the water up. I'm gonna need to get more Matrix when setting up the tank. Heating is a Eheim Jager 300W. I was going to go inline heating on the canisters, but taking the easy option for the time being.

Well this is what the tank looks like so far:

You can see my cherry shrimp tank in the background of this shot

So yeah just the cabinet in place so far while I wait for the tank to be built. Lighting is the Bunnings DIY lights (2 x 4 foot T8 tubes?) The tubes in there are just the lights that come with the fittings from Bunnings. Not sure whether to change the tubes to something more fish friendly, keep the existing lighting unchanged, or to replace the lighting with something else. Would prefer something that can fit against the hood, and be water proof. Something specifically designed for aquariums. I really like the LED's in fish tanks, but dont think it would be suitable (or cheap) in such a shallow hood. Below are a couple of photos of the hood.
View from the top

View from behind

Hood is 120mm

Sits 30mm flush to the tank, so only 90mm room between the hood and top glass

So that's the tank so far. I will update the journal as things happen. Does anyone have suggestions on the fish (prefer to try tangs, maybe tropheus) and suggestions on the lighting?

Thanks for reading,
Jason

Edited by Jason82, 13 February 2012 - 05:41 PM.

#2 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:56 PM

Cab and hood are nice mate should look sweet. With the light units in the hood good idea to move them more toward to front of the hood so you don't just see dark fish because they cast a shaddow. Ask Scotty he recently moved his light to the front of his hood and it's a huge improvement. Cheers mate.

#3 scottyhooton

scottyhooton
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:02 PM

That is correct , I would definatley recommend putting your lights at the front of your tank . The background I used is from Aquotix

Have fun , tangs are awesome

#4 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:16 PM

I like that low cabinet. Should look mint with a 2' tall tank on it.

#5 simmoman

simmoman
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:53 PM

One small thing Jason, being worried, (what is something goes wrong syndrome) I wouldn't run a beautiful tank like your planning with only one heater. (What if)
I have a second one running just in case, of course if there's a powerfailure then it wont make any differance. I bought a fully operational, fully stocked tank the same size as yours, so I didn't have the joy you have of deciding what type of tank you want, what fish and how many. Maybe nex time.

#6 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:57 PM

Thanks for the comments everyone. I got to go over the cabinet and hood with one of those correction pens which covers the scratches on the jarrah stain. Good point with the only one heater. Jager are pretty good, but maybe I should invest in a second one? Tank should be ready to collect on the weekend. Looking forward to picking it up.

#7 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:19 PM

I prefer the one heater personally.
Fish can handle a bit of cold water, but two heaters doubles the chances of a busted thermostat forcing a heater to stay on...

#8 simmoman

simmoman
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:40 PM

I supose Werdna one can't win. What can go wrong, heater stops working so we put in a second one just in case, makes sense?
A heater's thermastat doesn't switch off so now we have potentially doubled the risk. What's a man to do, ?????
Good point tho Werdna, my second heater is set a bit lower than the first so it basically only comes if there was a problem (In theory)???????

#9 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:33 PM

i would agree with wernda, with a tank that size inside you living room it would take ages to cool to a level that would harm your fish, perhaps never if you have a tendency to keep your house warm in winter. it would be alot easier to cook them imo.

#10 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:25 PM

ok point noted. I'll stick with the one heater. Would prefer one heater anyway. The less I have in the tank, the better

#11 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:33 AM

I turn my heater off about this time of year until the cooler weather kicks in again. My 700l tank stays around 24 degrees, the pumps and uv seem to generate enough heat to keep it stable. My house is well insulated and stays pretty constant. cheers steve p.s get in a habit of looking at the thermometer when looking at the tank and you will catch any problems early.

#12 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:23 AM

I've got 2 of those stick on thermometers. Will stick one on each end of the tank and monitor it.
Thanks for the advice

#13 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:20 PM

Ok so I pick up the tank tomorrow afternoon, and have changed my mind on filtration and lighting. Filtration will now be a fluval fx5 and probably also run a SunSun 1500lph canister too. Lighting will be changed over from the t8's to a t5 lighting unit. I just gotta work out how to fit the lighting to the inside of the hood, if I can find one that will fit. Gonna put pics up once the tank is on the cabinet. Will wait at least another week before filling the tank with water to give the silicon ample time to dry.

#14 Dr_Pat

Dr_Pat
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:44 AM

I find those stick on thermometers are pretty rubish for anything over 6-8mm. 2ft tank should be at least 10mm .: I'd be looking at an internal probe style thermometer, personally.

#15 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:40 PM

ok thanks dr pat, I'm gonna have to buy a fancy thermometer now because sides are 10mm. Any idea where's the best place to buy one?

I collected the tank today, and here are a couple of photos:

I'm not going to put water in it until next week some time.

#16 fishking123

fishking123
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:45 PM

sweet... how much was the new tank if you dont mind me asking?

#17 scottyhooton

scottyhooton
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:52 PM

Looks good mate , I really hope you get that background stuck on nicely wink.gif

#18 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:39 PM

Looking good Jas!

#19 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE (fishking123 @ Nov 12 2011, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sweet... how much was the new tank if you dont mind me asking?

Mate I don't really want to say. All I can say is that I've looked at a LOT of tanks before purchasing this one. It was built locally, and the quality justifies the price.

QUOTE (scottyhooton @ Nov 12 2011, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks good mate , I really hope you get that background stuck on nicely wink.gif

Double sided sticky tape bro, I hear that a bit of cooking oil on a sponge is better though wink.gif Oh well too late

QUOTE (dazzabozza @ Nov 12 2011, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looking good Jas!

thanks darren. wanna hook me up with some of your T's?

#20 fishking123

fishking123
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:35 PM

ok no prob smile.gif i like the look of the set up... A+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users