Photo

Types of Fish

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kenji

Kenji
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:59 PM

I am looking at getting one colony of cichlid for me 4ft tank. Wanting to know what size will the electric yellows get up? Looking at some fish that will get to 15cm. What about Metriaclima msobo? How fast do they grow, what size do they grow to and what type of breeders are they?

Any other suggestion would be appreciated. Looking for bright and colourful fish that will grow to 15-17cm and are good breeders.

#2 SynoAngel

SynoAngel
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:05 PM

Hi Kenji,

Have you read this article on Electric Yellows?

http://www.perthcich...h...opic&t=5316

From my experience females can reach up to 10cm and males up to 15cm, they can take around 18 months to reach this size in an aquarium. The great thing about yellows is that they are not a new fish and their value remains pretty constant and shops always have need for new live stock to sell.

Also you can keep Bristlenose Catfish will most cichlids they will keep your tank clean and you should be able to breed them easy enough.

Daniel

#3 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:44 PM

Hi Kenji biggrin.gif

What about Metriaclima msobo? How fast do they grow, what size do they grow to and what type of breeders are they?

I have a colony of Metriaclima msobo`s that i keep and breed, Ive found their growth rate to be the same as most malawi`s being that within 9 months they are at a breedable size.The males reach 14 cm and females 11 cm.

In my experience with these fish they are very erractic breeders and have stopped for months at a time for no reason in the past but others have continue to breed their ones !

So if you are looking for a colony that produces alot of fry continually then these guys probably arnt for you but if you want one of the most spectaculary coloured malawi`s available then go for it biggrin.gif

These are my favourite malawi`s biggrin.gif

Cheers
Craig

#4 Kenji

Kenji
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:39 PM

Scat, you got any for sale. How many would you keep in a 4 x 14 x 18?

Are they good parents?

#5 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:53 PM

Yes i have some fry ready to go atm @ 3cm .

Ive found that some females hold full term ( 3 weeks ) where others can swallow the eggs after only a day or 2 ! ( but alot of malawi`s can be like that )

How many would you keep in a 4 x 14 x 18?

Hmm at a 198 lts capacity there are many questions that arise before i can give you a reasonable answer.

1. What is your water change regime ? weekly,fortnightly ect and how much % water ?

2. What is your filtration like and exactly what are you using for filtration , also how long has the tank been running for ?

3. Are you planning on putting any other inhabitants in there ? If so what ?

4.What about decoration ? Will you be putting much rockwork in ?

Ok if it was me then i would say as long as you do decent water change`s weekly eg 30% and a fair amount of rockwork to make refuge for females and you have a decent filter running on it then i would say about 7 adult msobo`s imo.

If you would like some juvies i could bring them up for you to the next meeting which is only 8 days away biggrin.gif

Cheers biggrin.gif
Craig

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users