Photo

Wood For Plecos

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Perth

Chris Perth
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 May 2017 - 10:53 PM

As we all know wood of some type appears to be a pre-requisite of keeping/breeding plecs, especially those of the Panaque and panaqolus species. Here in Oz the majority of our woods are classed as hardwoods, and I was wondering if they were easily digestible by the above, or was there any preference for a softer type of wood? (oh and I am not talking about pine)
I had the thought of using weighed down Balsa wood - has any one had any experience with this and what were the pros and cons?

#2 Rodders02

Rodders02
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:36 AM

Some fish like this kind of wood...

Attached Files

#3 Chris Perth

Chris Perth
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:37 AM

Some fish like this kind of wood...

Thanks Rodders 02, but not helpful - I would expect this kind of post on facebook groups but not on this forum.

#4 Chopstick_mike

Chopstick_mike
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:52 PM

Big johhno would be your best bet for answers he is the guru on plecs

#5 Rodders02

Rodders02
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:59 PM

Thanks Rodders 02, but not helpful - I would expect this kind of post on facebook groups but not on this forum.

Come on it's just a little bit of fun mate no need for the smart remarks

#6 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:17 AM

harder woods are no problem for the teeth panaqolus species have.... have had some bits of wood carved into different shapes by plecs and other bits almost completely eaten and eroded away by water... 

avoid jarrah timber - almost every other wood is fine... avoid any timber sprayed with pesticides... some wood in shops is bleached / chlorinated to make sure its free of any potential nasties....

#7 Chris Perth

Chris Perth
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:39 AM

harder woods are no problem for the teeth panaqolus species have.... have had some bits of wood carved into different shapes by plecs and other bits almost completely eaten and eroded away by water... 
avoid jarrah timber - almost every other wood is fine... avoid any timber sprayed with pesticides... some wood in shops is bleached / chlorinated to make sure its free of any potential nasties....

Thanks johnno - thats what I was after, though you raised the point about avoiding jarrah, is there any specific reason for this? Not being a wood person if I were to collect some wood from the local rivers I would have no idea if it was karri,jarrah,red gum marri etc.
Cheers

P.s. Unless of course it was made up into a piece of furniture

#8 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:04 AM

long time ago guy got 4 new pieces of wood 3 gum varieties and one jarrah... dropped them into 4 different seperate tanks but all on the same rack and all with the same/similar fish species....  following day one tank had all dead fish , other 3 were fine.... dont need to tell you which wood it was do i ???

whether or not this one piece of wood was pre poisoned or not i will never really know... but you could pretty much eliminate that from the equation..

since had a couple people lose fish using jarrah.... now also have a couple  friends with a couple bits of jarrah in their tanks which was collected from swan river but who knows how long they have been floating in the river... whatever toxins in the wood may well have leached out over a long period of time... 5 years - 10 years - 15 years who knows.... but would you take the risk ???

jarrah is a red coloured wood when freshly cut or broken... old man used to be a firewood merchant for a few years so i know my wood !!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users