Stabilising Ph Question :)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:53 AM

Hey guys, so I am planning to start ageing my water for waterchanges and I also have decided that I'm going to drop the ph down to 6.5-6.8, the ph down I'm going to use is a non phosphate one and apparently reduces the KH thus making the ph not as stable. So my question is, what KH should be achieved in order to have a stable PH? And if I were to use Bicarb, how much would I need to dose ? Thanks :)!

#2 Stormfyre

Stormfyre

Sausage enthusiast

• Admin

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:27 AM

Aqua-Pics has some stabilizers for different pH scenarios. He has some products that change KH and GH and stabilize desired pH also.

Send Scott Haymes a PM on Facebook or maybe ask in our FB group and I'll tag him.

Bi-carb is fairly strong. Great for pushing tang tanks up, but small dosages.

#3 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:16 PM

Hi Michael, a KH of 3 is considered as unstable,,,, and on the verge of or ready to Ph crash.
KH 4 is still a tad risky but still fairly ok,,,, soo I'd recommend a KH of 5, and this should still allow you to keep your desired PH level.

But if you add bicarbonate obviously it will raise KH higher than your existing KH and will naturallly increase your PH along with it.
So you'll likely undo your work lowering PH and KH.

It's the the KH level that stabilizes PH,,,
The carbonate raises the KH, so the needed KH level can work for you doing its buffering.

If your tap water is neutral or low PH 7's, then I'd suggest to use generic stabilizers such as the very concentrated seachem or most other brands for that matter,,, as you'll only need very tiny amounts to tweak your water to reach the needed chemistry.
Also age your water and airate it, or do what ever you do,, then test it, as it may slightly change after aging on its own accord.
This aged water results is the figure you work with to increase or decrease values.

Generic stabilizers have all the bonuses of minerals, elements and salts that usually promote health,,,, and prevent deficiencies.

Edited by Buccal, 04 November 2015 - 10:18 PM.

#4 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:45 PM

low ph brings its own can of worms.... as above KH/PH relationship is something you'll need to learn before you start doing something that turns out stupid and detrimental to your fish... beneficial bacteria need carbonate (kh) in the water to consume ammonia.... run out of carbonates and beneficial bacteria go on strike and ammonia levels start to rise... when these hit 4ppm beneficial bacteria starts to die off... not to mention anything about ph crashing.... plecos are susceptible to ph shock and can die from it....

people who successfully keep low ph tanks have big water volume ratio to fish

#5 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 06 November 2015 - 08:17 AM

Thanks so much for the excellent responses guys :)!! What I'm going to do is just fill an Increase and add de-chlor with some IAL and let it age for a week for the weekend waterchanges :). So it won't change the pH or Kh much at all, but my L's should like the tannin :).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users