Photo

Can Anyone Suggest A Catfish

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 T1gger

T1gger
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

I would love to view someone's fish who currently breeds different plecos. I have bristlenoses in one tank and whilst I love them I would like something a little rarer for my new tank. I want a vegetarian species that I like the look of that I can house in my new knee deep 170 litre tank and suggest suitable tank mates with photographs. I do like the small size fish like neons and would want a group of them to go with the catfish so all suggested fish need to be gentle species

#2 theKid

theKid
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:56 PM

For that size L397 or L168 would seem like good vegetarians, although the 168's seem a bit less keen on vege's compared to common bristlenose in my limited experience.  Other than that bristlenose variations like orange spot or red marble can be interesting and have the same requirements as commons (can be a little more sensitive).

#3 waxy

waxy
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:34 PM

Why not try a different bristlenose? theres quite a few to choose from really.

Other than that L397 are a good choice in my opinion. Pretty active as far as L numbers go.

Royal whiptails are pretty cool also. Very active and not really shy compared to others.

#4 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:42 PM

What he said. Whips or 397s

#5 T1gger

T1gger
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:46 PM

Thank you for your advice. I'm a little nieve when it comes to plecos in particular. I don't even know what bristlenoses I have. I have photos that I don't know how to post. I will google the L numbers and names suggested above to get an idea of size they grow to and what they look like.

#6 JackMack

JackMack
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:55 PM

Upload said photos to photobucket or something similar,

Right click on the photo and select 'Copy image URL',
Click on 'More reply options' next to the 'Post' button and go up to the little icon nine places from the right on the bottom row,

And copy the URL into the box that comes up when you select the previously mentioned icon.

Edited by JackMack, 28 October 2013 - 11:56 PM.

#7 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:57 PM

Why not try a different bristlenose? theres quite a few to choose from really.

Other than that L397 are a good choice in my opinion. Pretty active as far as L numbers go.

Royal whiptails are pretty cool also. Very active and not really shy compared to others.

good choice if you wanna keep your spending low... otherwise the sky is the limit... 

maybe some 134's... longnose whiptails... or L144's.... keeping spending under control

or go crazy and get a L128 or lda33... but expect to pay in excess of 1k each..... 

#8 T1gger

T1gger
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:26 AM

Can someone please clarify how big these grow? There is so much conflicting information

#9 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:39 AM

more inforamation please... which ones are we talking about ?

#10 T1gger

T1gger
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:19 AM

What I love about my bristlenoses is they are always active. Not hiding as many people say. Waxy what are the other bristlenoses. I have only had fish for 3 months and have lost 2 adults. 1 which came sick and the other that died for no reason but it was a molly which is more prone to sickness than my swordtails, plattys, Cory's, bristlenoses and neon tetras. When not in salt water.

more inforamation please... which ones are we talking about ?

l397

#11 T1gger

T1gger
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:26 AM

Also the l397 what is their common name. I have today been to library and got books on tropical fish so I can do a better job of choosing fish than overloading one tank and having to buy more and more tanks to house more and more fish. A fish is for life is quick becoming a nightmare. I love my fish and don't want to get rid of any of them. But they keep having babies which I can't keep and I can't sterilise like other pets. Can I have say just male swordtails in the tank with the l397's. I would get 3 x l397 as I'm sure they are not flooding the market and would sell babies easily.

#12 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:01 AM

Panaqolus sp.(L397)is the only name they have.

My advice? Get the fish you like most. If you get a bit of cash down the line to help pay a power bill IF they breed well and good, but don't count on it. You could pay good money for them and have them die next week. They may never breed.

Put commercial considerations aside. Find the one that interests you the most or looks the nicest to you and you will enjoy it most.

#13 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:28 AM

nicely said... 397's rarely get bigger than 12cm.... i have some that are close on 10 years old and are around 11-12cm....

#14 T1gger

T1gger
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:34 PM

That's my problem I like them all. I want a pair of everything but on a budget of virtually nothing. I think peppermints are nice and relatively available. Are they as easy to breed as commons?

#15 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

No

#16 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:30 PM

Not quite as easy as commons although, still reasonably easy to breed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users