Photo

Is This A Good Thing Or A Bad Thing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shayne

shayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:27 PM

gday all, a newbie here risking the scorn of those who are thoroughly bored with bn but i am a rookie. about 2 months ago  i noticed some albino bn fry in 1 of my community tanks, i only had commons/marbled? so i found dad and cave and netted him and remaining fry[ some big clown loaches in this tank,predation is high ] put them in a seperate tank. today i have the same thing, again i have netted dad ,cave and fry.appears to be about a 50/50 ratio of albino/cmmns. question is is this desirable and if it is i guess i should be looking for the female?? and if its not should i cull them?? cheers

#2 waxy

waxy
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:07 PM

It's not a bad thing in my opinion. You get a few of each. Some people say that it's not possible to get albino fry from two common parents but I have had it happen before. It might be undesirable for you if you don't want your tank overrun with BN tho.

#3 rx007

rx007
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:46 PM

I was proud as punch the 1st time my bristle nose bred, congrats to you Shayne! Mixed BN fry are a blessing, you can raise them up a little then trade them to your local fish store for some credit or fish food. Beware, BN poo a lot and mess your tanks up I have found..
Make sure to trade some with fellow fish friends to vary bloodlines every so often ;)

#4 Furnix

Furnix
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:34 PM

Genetics is a very cool topic! (simplified explanation) So all need is 2 parents that carry the albino gene. The albino gene is recessive (meaning it wont show that trait but the parent can still pass it on) so if you have 2 parent common BN that carry the gene and they get together then they have the chance to produce off spring that are either carriers like them selves, "full" common BN (no albino gene at all) or Albino! So by basic genetics (hardly ever the case as its never one or the other with genetics) you should expect 50% carriers 25% non carriers and 25% albino (this is the chance for each BN not as a batch so you could get all of one or none of one). But like i said there are always things that change this and there could be a mutated gene that makes them purple! But that's just a brief explanation.

#5 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:57 AM

above post is technically correct but in practice it doesnt tend to happen like that... you might get 50% albino and 50% common from common parents.... and same adults may spawn all commons or anything in between...

throw in your calico/marble gene and all sorts of combos can happen... funniest one i had was albino female and marble male bred all common bn fry... 

we used to make adults that threw multiple fry types... just cross albino with common... and albino with marble... and then breed one from each parents with each other and you'll get all 3 types of fry coming out..... throw in some longfin genes and you can get all six types of fry happening... good fun experimenting but it does destroy the purity of each type... as further down the line someone will breed 2 marble looking b/n and end up with common fry... or breeding 2 longfins together and only getting 1/3 fry with longfins and 1/3 with short fins and a 1/3 fins with size anywhere between short and long... 

generally stick with one type and breed that... its better for the hobby longterm...  a little bit similar with breeding different cichlids and getting hybrids... although the b/n will display one type of colour characteristics... whereas cichlid hybrids could carry both adult colour characteristics and look different... :)\

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users