Bristle Nose Eggs, What Do I Do Next?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bunky twincam

Bunky twincam
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:01 PM

Hello all,

I finally have some eggs in the cave, do I just leave them in there in my 6x2x2 tank? Do I remove the male and put the eggs in a hatching net in the big tank? 

In my tank are two 10cm silver sharks, 2 x 10cm pink sharks, 4 x small princess cyclids, 3 x guramis, 4 x giant danios and some other assorted community fish.

Last time I removed the male and put the eggs in the net they died, the time before that I removed them once hatched and put them in the net and they died. The time before that set up my 4 foot tank and put the male and eggs in that and the male and the eggs died.

Cheers

#2 shep

shep
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:13 PM

Probably best left where they are .
dad will look after them til he thinks it's time to let them out of the cave

#3 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:36 PM

As Shep said above.

Leave them with the male, he will guard them against your other fish for about 2 weeks before he kicks them out of the cave, then they are on their own.

If you can time it right you could catch them out before he kicks them out. But do it gently as the Males dont like to be annoyed too much.

Your 4x Princess Cichlids.

Are they these?

CLICK HERE

If so they dont usually go in the same tank as Sharks, Gouramis, Danios and other community style fish. They can become nasty towards others. Your Gouramis may have their "feelers" bitten off by them.

Also they prefer different water chemistry to the other fish you have. In saying that I have known people to keep cichlids with fish they arent "supposed" to and have lived happliy.

#4 Bunky twincam

Bunky twincam
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:55 PM

Yes they are, they are only about 4cms long, they were supposed to be kind of aggressive but they don't seem to be, they just hang out together around one of my large pieces of drift wood.

#5 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:49 PM

They will get cranky. And as soon as two pair up they will terrorise your community fish and the other brichardi.
My advice with brichardi; keep them in a species only setup. Even then females often get flogged! Brichardi are great parents and the protective nature of older siblings is pretty cool. Hard to sell though. I had to give mine away. I kinda suspect they ended up as feeders :-(

Edited by malawiman85, 28 March 2014 - 06:50 PM.

#6 JackMack

JackMack
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:57 AM

+1 on what MM85 said, mine were small and timid when I got them - the second wrigglers came into the picture they started tormenting/terrorizing my Leleupis.

They mighten be aggressive now but just keep in mind that they have razor sharp teeth and breed quite easily.

#7 TheTexasCichlidMasacre

TheTexasCichlidMasacre
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:33 AM

i think thats the first time in history someone has said

"they have razor sharp teeth and breed quite easily" in the same sentence actually sounds disturbing lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users