Tandanus eel tail catfish

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JackMack

JackMack
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:30 AM

Hi there,

Under a year ago I bought a tank that came with assorted fish including two 20cm (now) tandanus cat fish,
They were really shy after the move but once I put them in my 5ft they seemed rather happy, often I see them swimming in a circle formation together and they sometimes wrap themselves around one another. 

I know they probably aren't mature enough/or even in a remotely big enough tank to breed but could has anyone seen a pair or know what behaviour a pair displays?
They may just be well bonded because they are inseparable and play together 24/7.
And also they are the most placid fish so that may also rule out breeding, that and the fact that I've never spotted them nesting.

Cheers 

#2 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:40 PM

Hi mate,

Tandanus are awesome. I just bought two, might be chasing a couple more as well. I dont know a hell of a lot about them. Nests apparently require a huge amount of material and can be up to a meter across.

Edited by malawiman85, 27 August 2013 - 08:02 PM.

#3 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:59 AM

i had 6 tandannas years ago all around 1.5 to 2 feet long in a 6x2x2... definitely not placid after you throw in a 1000 feeders (gambusia back in the day)

noted plenty of different behavioural patterns including circle swimming but near impossible to sex... 

pity one night they knocked off the air lines to the powerheads and 4 were dead in the morning and other 2 barely alive gasping for oxygen... they lived and were sold on soon afterwards as i was disheartened losing 4 of them... 

plenty of them in reagans ford under the bridge and up/down stream.....

#4 JackMack

JackMack
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:27 AM

Mine are so placid they won't even chase the 5mm convict fry living in the same (which were intended for them to eat them, lol)

The two larger ones have hardly grown this past year, maybe a centimetre or two but my little one that I got at 5cm only 3 months ago is 10cm now as he tends to hog all of the blood worms at feeding time.

I think I might keep them in the 5ft with the EY colony I intend to grow once I finish fixing the cracked plastic bracing so I can fill the tank to the top once again. Same goes for my synodontis featherfin, I've noticed he has grown quite a bit and is looking healthier than ever.

Cheers

#5 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:51 AM

mine went from about 10cm to 40cm+ in under a year.... fast growers for me :)

#6 JackMack

JackMack
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:14 PM

Mine were in a 100L tank when I got them, perhaps that has done something to their growth?
The smaller looks like he has the potential to out-grow the older two.

Cheers 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tandanus, eel tail, catfish

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users