Photo

Granite Rocks

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Flatliner

Flatliner
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 August 2008 - 02:05 PM

Can you use granite rocks in your Cichlid tank?
Cheers

#2 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:09 PM

I have got granite. I have had it in my tank now for nearly one year. I washed it well, and it is going fine. No deaths or diseases in my tank except stress induced ailments. Rocks seem to be stable. I paid 80c and kilo for them. Just set up a small tank with the new granite. Will keep you posted, but all is well so far.

Regards,

Donna

#3 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:04 PM

Im not a geologist, but from my own research and from using it Ive found Granite is an inert stone that should not have any effect on your water chemistry and should be safe to use in any tank as long as it has no sharp edges.

Cheers
Den smile.gif

#4 keenas

keenas
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE (Den @ Aug 1 2008, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im not a geologist, but from my own research and from using it Ive found Grantite is an inert stone that should not have any effect on your water chemistry and should be safe to use in any tank as long as it has no sharp edges.

Cheers
Den smile.gif

Essentially correct. However look out for any veins that may run through the granite as this may contain other minerals.

#5 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 August 2008 - 07:32 PM

We know Den, you are a pi ologist wink.gif

#6 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 August 2008 - 07:37 PM

Be careful Donna.. you're going off-topic.. 1 or 2 other members will dislike it and make up different accounts just to "flame" you.. LOL! biggrin.gif

#7 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 August 2008 - 08:22 PM

Ha Ha, only Blakey flames me, everyone else ignores me wink.gif Have a look at how many posts end with my name.... I think that says it all. Oh boo hoo, poor me smile.gif
In general, people have been very helpful.... just sometimes...it all gets so ridiculous, you just have to comment biggrin.gif

Thanks for keeping it light and enjoyable.

Regards,

Donna

#8 Boof86

Boof86
  • Banned

Posted 03 August 2008 - 08:25 PM

im using moss rocks in my sth american tank with no issues if that helps?

#9 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 August 2008 - 08:27 PM

Yeah.. i know what you mean Donna..

I dont post much these days, not because of "post count issues" (I dont even notice how much i post...). It's mainly coz there's different types of people on this forum and sometimes people take it the wrong way etc... and im trying to avoid conflicts just to keep this a peaceful forum.

But end of the day, it IS a semi-public forum.. so you'd expect "personality clashes" every now and again! biggrin.gif

Anyways, back "on topic".. Granite should be fine.. looks awesome too! But like Keenas stated, be wary of mineral taints/veins.

Cheers!
Kevin

#10 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 August 2008 - 08:40 PM

I have what I think is granite and what was sold to me as granite. It is mainly orange and looks like sedimentary rock (definitely not metamorphic) and it does have blue layers (could be igneous, has large particles that look like they have been fused). However, as I said, been in for a year now and going fine. However, I do have slightly acidic water so I am wondering if this will have an impact eventually although no smoothing or breaking down of the rock has been evident so far. Also, as Den pointed out, this rock is fairly sharp, and rough but again, no notable problems from this. I am not a geologist or a pi ologist for that matter, but things are going fine and my rock looks awesome. The only disadvantage so far, is that those fish who prefer to spawn on smooth rock, have chosen the wood instead.

Donna

#11 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 August 2008 - 02:31 PM

Nice one Donna, but I'm actually a BSologist huh.gif

Kevin now that you have decided that you are not going to post so much I've noticed some of your posts announcing your decision. But even when your not wanting to post you are posting posts saying that you are not posting, not sure if you are caught in an ironic situation or trapped in a paradox? anyway look foward to reading many more of your posts regarding the subject of not posting up too many posts. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#12 *S*T*A*R*S*

*S*T*A*R*S*
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 August 2008 - 03:23 PM

hey guys,

lol thats funny den only because i acctually know what a paradox is and understand in what context it should be used! very good example is your last post! but no offence to you golden dase! i like having a light and open, social forum were people are not robots or should be 'spanked' for going off topic, (figure of speech).

Donna, are you sure that you have granite?
i live in an area littered with coffee rock and matches your discription almost exactly.
i have found granite is more grey blue black rather than orange?
if im wrong plz correct me!

Cheers

Arron

#13 Flatliner

Flatliner
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:35 PM

Hi Arron,
Fish have setteled into their new home well and I have picked up some more lime stone for the tank.
The granit cleaned up well with the wire brush on the bench top grinder and has no veins in it at all.
Looks good in the tank with lime stone and red river rock.
Thanks for the advice everyone.

#14 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE (*S*T*A*R*S* @ Aug 4 2008, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey guys,

lol thats funny den only because i acctually know what a paradox is and understand in what context it should be used! very good example is your last post! but no offence to you golden dase! i like having a light and open, social forum were people are not robots or should be 'spanked' for going off topic, (figure of speech).

Arron

Arron, thats exactly my point. A forum is an open discussion "place" where all kinds of people from different backgrounds "meet" to chat. There are some members however, who dislike people going off-topic.

And Den... you're a funny bugger! LOL! tongue.gif

#15 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 August 2008 - 04:28 PM

Arron, you are not wrong. I am sure that I am not sure of what the hell rock I have. I guess what I am trying to say, is that it was really cheap and looks awesome biggrin.gif It is definitely blue and orange and being that I am too stupid and don't have the patience to use photobucket then I guess I can't have it confirmed. What I can do, is put a bit on my front lawn and Google Earth will now show you my yard apparently....and we can figure out what it is that way wink.gif
Anyway, I spose that cheap rock can be effective and safe.

Regards,

BA ologist

Den, it's true, you are hilarious

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users