Assistance With The Sex Of My Terror & Texas

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dawnbrown1981

Dawnbrown1981
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:19 PM

Hi all,

I am new to the group and looking for some help sexing my 2 new babies.
I purchased them a week and a bit ago (more like saved them) as there were 5 cichlids in 1 tank that was not big enough to house 1!
I feel its stunted their development making it hard to sex them.
Terror is about 15cm long, Texas is about 18cm.6bd0b7ab3ee61acebefa18f6aca5b702.jpgf5af149a88dfccb0595b22bc46f30218.jpg9f67265dd5cf24e28290240a7615b0a3.jpg74283d5fffb7dcb983cc8c0a3e70e19b.jpg

Your help is appreciated

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

#2 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:31 AM

Hey Dawn,

Welcome to the forum -I've just moved your topic to the right area. Hopefully you'll get a better response in Cichlid discussion.

I'm looking at the pics on my phone so hard for me to see detail. At first glance I'd say the green terror is a female as I would expect at that size the fish would have developed a more prominent by nuchal hump. Although there's a lot of factors as to why a male wouldn't have developed the hump so I could be wrong.

The Texas I'm not sure on. Again I lean to a female because of the nuchal hump theory. im not that familiar with these ties with of cichlids so hopefully someone with more direct experience can comment.

#3 Dawnbrown1981

Dawnbrown1981
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:03 AM

Hey Dawn,

Welcome to the forum -I've just moved your topic to the right area. Hopefully you'll get a better response in Cichlid discussion.

I'm looking at the pics on my phone so hard for me to see detail. At first glance I'd say the green terror is a female as I would expect at that size the fish would have developed a more prominent by nuchal hump. Although there's a lot of factors as to why a male wouldn't have developed the hump so I could be wrong.

The Texas I'm not sure on. Again I lean to a female because of the nuchal hump theory. im not that familiar with these ties with of cichlids so hopefully someone with more direct experience can comment.

Hi Poncho,

Thank you!
I'm still finding my way around, but will get head around soon
I'm loving all the previous discussions and forums though! I'm learning so much from everyone!

I was leaning towards female at first, as there isn't too much colour to the body, nor the hump. But then read that the fins on males are pointed at the ends and not all terrors develope a noticeable hump (especially given the poor conditions it endured)...

Think I'll have to build up the courage to vent them...

Sent by Dawnbrown1981 via tapatalk

#4 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:54 PM

I would say Female Texas, Male GT.
Finnage usually gives it away with the GT's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users