Photo

peppermint catfish

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 madjak

madjak
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 January 2003 - 07:47 AM

heya... I spose peppermints don't really fall into the Australian catfish category but I thought I may as well ask on here.

I have two peppermint catfish bought 6 mnths ago at a little under an inch long. They have really grown quite fast and one is now around 6cm and the other about 5cm long.

Is there a way to sex these fellows? The bigger one has three or four small bristles coming out the front of his nose and the smaller one has a few less.

What length/age do they need to be to start breeding?

thanks,
Rick

PS what catfish are from Australia?

Edited by: MadJak at: 1/2/03 11:51:37 pm

#2 mtchye

mtchye
  • Validating

Posted 03 January 2003 - 03:45 PM

Hi Rick,

The Australian catfish and loach forum is for catfish enthusiasts in Australia, not australian catfish.. :rollin

I'm no expert in sexing peppermints (i have a few that I'm not sure of myself) but apparently if yours have any bristles that go up the top of the head they are definitely males. Females either have no bristles or just a few around the mouth...

#3 mtchye

mtchye
  • Validating

Posted 03 January 2003 - 03:48 PM

Heres a large male.

There is more on ancistrus in general in the FAQ forum, under the topic ancistrus profile.

#4 madjak

madjak
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 January 2003 - 09:05 PM

ahh it's how I took the wording of the name...

The Australian (Catfish & Loach) Forum
not The (Australian Catfish) & Loach Forum

hehe...

anyway, I'll try and take some pics of them and post them here but they are very shy and hard to get to come out from all the wood I have in my tank.

I didn't realise they are different length to width ratios to the bristlenoses . Or is that just the photo?

Mine might be too small to grow the brsitles up the head. The male bristlenoses I have that are the same size are growing their bristles now.

Thanks,
Rick

#5 mtchye

mtchye
  • Validating

Posted 03 January 2003 - 09:38 PM

Yeah they do seem to be stockier... And the males shape is almost like the shape of a normal female bristlenose.. much broader than the typical normal male bristlenose..

#6 00 MooRRii 00

00 MooRRii 00
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 January 2003 - 05:30 PM

i have 5 pep bn's a 11cm female and 4 smaller 6cm ones my largest one which i assume is a female because it does not have a single bristle is about 3 years old. and the smaller ones i have had for about a month. I have noticed that they started getting their bristles very young around the 4cm mark so im assuming the ones that first developed bristles will be males. :bow sorry a whole lot of mumbo jumbo there but best i could come up with. :good

#7 madjak

madjak
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 January 2003 - 05:51 PM

So the females basically don't get bristles till they are much older? I suppose I must have two males then.

anyone know what size they breed at? Are they the same as bristlies (5-6cm mark)

Thanks
Rick

#8 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 January 2003 - 12:58 AM

Hi MadJak,

No unfortunately they don't spawn at the same size as the common bn's. Generally peppermints take 2-3 years to reach maturity.

Tammy

#9 Ratty77

Ratty77
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 March 2003 - 07:23 PM

i,ve found that they develop bristles far sooner than normal bristlenoses...females usually do have bristles too but only two out each side and 2 on the front whereas males generally get bristles all around the head and later up the middle of the head....hope too be of some help...
ratty77......rat_darren@hotmail.com

#10 mtchye

mtchye
  • Validating

Posted 23 March 2003 - 02:47 AM

Hi ratty,

Thats great help.. any other distinguishing characteristics between the sexes?

#11 xeenoph

xeenoph
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 April 2003 - 04:57 AM

thanks for the info guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users