Hoplo's spawning (pic's)

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 September 2004 - 07:04 PM

Thanks Lee,

The little ones have now been moved to tanks, give them a bit more growing room.

Here's a pic of the latest batch at one day old.

Wtb, Mature female/s or even a trio (1m, 2f) if anyone knows of any for sale locally??

Tammy

#22 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 September 2004 - 07:20 PM

After a week break the females dorsal looking well (no raw tissue) and both showing signs they were keen to spawn I placed the lid back in the tank. Over the next 3 days observing both the male and female taking part in building the nest then spawning day three, ten days since last spawn. The number of eggs has dropped quite a bit compared to previous spawns and now they are taking longer to build up the nest and spawn so I think they may be coming to the end of their spawning season.

Talking to the previous owner today, he was saying they can be quite prolific once they get started. Which I have certainly noticed.

Latest spawn

Hoplo 3 weeks 6 days from hatch

Tammy

#23 dondon

dondon
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 September 2004 - 09:05 AM

i hope its not the end of their spawning season cause i would hate to see the end of this post. anyways i was looking at ur pics of the fry savers and it looks like u dont have any air movemnet in them. do u have hole in the side of the tubs or do u use air stones in them? or do u find it better leaving them in none moving water? also i was wondering what sort of water parmeters u have in ur tank? thank u again for this amazing post and i hope the fish continue spawning and that u keep taking us along for the ride. one last thing that 5 week old fry looks wickerd, showing good colour already.
clint

#24 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 September 2004 - 07:20 PM

Thanks clint,

Would like to get another mature female or two, would be nice to continue breeding them. Will be interesting to see how long these guys go between seasons.

I use slow running air stones in the fry and eggs tubs, doing 2-3 daily water changes on the tubs, refilling slowly (with water from the parents tank).

Their first few spawns temp was rather cool at 22.C and hatch time rather slow, taking 4-5 days. Then I turned the heat up hoping to speed up hatch time which it did but not by much. Once the temp hit 25.C (for the last 2 spawns) hatch time sped up dramatically to 2 days, although the fry didn't look as developed as the previous fry hatching over a longer period of time, although their growth rate may speed up, the egg casings/shells also seemed to break down quicker in the warmer water. They seem a little more delicate hatching sooner, so this may not be a good thing.

Anyway these are the tank stats

Temp 22-25.C
pH 7.4
GH 80 ppm
KH 40 ppm

Tammy

#25 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2004 - 08:50 PM

Well someone has been busy while I was out :shock: and I thought they were slowing down. :shock: Just over 4 days after placing the lid back in the tank.

Tammy

#26 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 October 2004 - 08:21 PM

Does anyone know other then temp increase, if there is anything else that could cause eggs to hatch early?

The last 2 spawns have hatched way under developed, much more so then even the previous spawn, lost all of the last spawn and this one is looking no different. When they hatch they are just a ball with eyes and tail, pretty much the same as they are in the egg but the tail is sticking out, even then you need a torch to see them. Shortly after hatching they start dropping off one by one. :cry:

Any thoughts?

Previous fry are all doing well. :wink:

Tammy

#27 Guest_Alan Caboolture_*

Guest_Alan Caboolture_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2004 - 08:43 PM

A couple of thoughts on this Tammy. Primarily the DOR around the eggs as they develop. As you are "artificially hatching" ie taking the nest away from the father who tands to eat his kids ( cleaver fella) this may be a factor. We will have to talk about this.

The thing that surprises me is the regulatity of this pair spawning !!

Admittedly I have only bred hopolos in outdoor plant raising ponds, but I never considered that they were as prolific as our common cories !

Your pair are producing some interesting stats

Keep us postd !!!

Alan

#28 cichlid hunter

cichlid hunter
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 October 2004 - 09:50 PM

Tammy your water condtions and health of your fish must be near perfect!

Keep up the great work biggrin.gif

Photos are awesome... i love these posts smile.gif

#29 dondon

dondon
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 October 2004 - 10:46 PM

thanks for the stats. they will be logged and used if i ever keep these catties in the future. thank u again. also was wondering what does the first batch look like now?
thanks tammy

#30 PeppermintHeat

PeppermintHeat
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 October 2004 - 04:15 PM

does conductivity affect hatch rate?

from memory some eggs wont even hatch if the conductivity is wrong. i heard about 100-200uS is about the benchmark for discus... could this be something u can look into?

#31 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 October 2004 - 08:39 AM

Thanks Guys, :wink:

I took a pic Monday, although it doesn't really show how much they have grown, I might try adding a ruler for the next pic, see how that goes.

Hoplo 4 week 6 days from hatch

Tammy

#32 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 October 2004 - 08:42 AM

Thanks Peppermintheat,

Not sure about conductivity, but its something I'll be looking into. Do you have anymore information on conductivity at all?

Tammy

#33 PeppermintHeat

PeppermintHeat
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 October 2004 - 11:58 AM

here is a link to a site:
http://hjem.get2net......0it important?

i found it was very interesting. hope it can help you.

#34 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 October 2004 - 03:27 PM

Thanks for the info. wink.gif

Tammy

#35 Brett

Brett
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 October 2004 - 10:08 PM

That link about conductivity is interesting, and obviously the author went to considerable trouble to research the topic. I do feel it raises more questions than it answers?

The composition of the water is obviously important for fertility, egg hatching and fry development. But which factors are most important? Is it the concentration of calcium and magnesium ions (general hardness) which the article tended to downplay the importance of. Yet this was the only factor quoted in the article of proven importance. Sodium and chlorine concentrations (salinity)? Humic acids? Other chemicals??

Food for thought

Cheers
Brett

#36 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 October 2004 - 09:38 AM

It has now been 2 weeks since their last spawn, so they're slowing down. Although there's a bit of chasing going on and a nest built up so I don't think they're too far from spawning again.

This little guy is just over 6 weeks old, he/she is one of the bigger ones from the first lot of fry. (I had the age wrong on the last 2 fry pic's, miss calculated somewhere along the way). :oops:

Hoplo 6 weeks 3 days from hatch.

Tammy

#37 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 October 2004 - 09:54 PM

Well they spawned last night and was lucky enough to get some shots.

Tammy

#38 Guest_Alan Caboolture_*

Guest_Alan Caboolture_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2004 - 11:02 PM

Now that is what I call a dedicated hobbyist!! Not only can Tammy spawn and raise fish, but a pictorial record as well. smile.gif From pics of the typical "T" Callichthyidae spawning attitude, eggs carried in the 'fin basket', the placing of eggsin the nest. Then pics of eggs in the nest, newly hatched fry, and fry development.

Not a real bad photographer either :!:

Personally I have never seen a pictorial story like this on any fish on any forum by one person.

We have a pretty renouned record here on peppermint Ancistrus, but that was a collective effort by a number of members and we should thank everyone for their contibutions to that informative strand.

But this is a sole effort by our quiet little moderator. Tammy, you are a legand !

One little thing you didn't tell everyone was that you had run out of live food for the last couple of weeks, and was only five days of the good stuff that had them back spawning again. :wink: But those pics overshadow that little omission.

Keep up the excellant work. What is your next project :?:

Alan

#39 dondon

dondon
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 October 2004 - 07:04 PM

wow what great pics. this link just keeps getting better. congrads on ur success and thanks for sharing it. tammy
everytime i sign on to this site more great info and pics have been added thanks tammy. amazing

#40 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 October 2004 - 10:18 AM

Thanks Alan wink.gif

The live food really seems to play a part, when I run out of live food they go longest between spawns. Coincidence, maybe?

Well looks like temp has been ruled out as the sole cause for the eggs hatching so early. Time to have a closer look at the water it self.

Here's a pic I managed to get showing eggs stuck to the males fins, with fresh eggs being quite sticky much the same as cory eggs, as the male has gone over the nest blowing more bubbles some of the freshly laid eggs have stuck to him. The female also had an egg stuck on her barbels.

Tammy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users