Photo

wtb black sand for my tank

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#21 kristle

kristle
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:36 PM

i ended up getting natural gravel from AAA.
the small black pebbles/gravel were a little too big for my taste.

i think the stuff i got will look pretty natural

#22 Nads

Nads
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:14 AM

If anyone else is interested in the black substrate from Aquotix, here is a pic of it smile.gif

#23 poipoi

poipoi
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:50 AM

why not go pebbles? i think it looks quite nice. i recently added pebs to my tank

#24 DR14GoNF14SH

DR14GoNF14SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2008 - 02:28 PM

pebbles looks ok...

but fine sand imo looks better...and the problem i have had with pebbles, is that all the crap and food tends to sink in between and below the pebbles, making it difficult to clean...potentially making it a problem and a hassle...where as with sand...it sits on top, easy to see, easy to get to and easy to clean...

Also, fine sand will pretty much cater to all fish types...where as pebbles are not really suitable or not as suitable for fish such as...bichirs, earth-eaters...etc...and im guessing most cichlids will also prefer it?

thats in my experience anyways... wink.gif

#25 poipoi

poipoi
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:02 PM

hey dragonfish,
i was thinking the opposite, pebbles will be quite easy to get in between coz they are very manuevable so easy to suck crap out. fine sand on the other hand i thought would be messy because its so light, the fish can kick that stuff around very easily, esp when we keep big fellas. also i find my filters suck up alot of the sand and jams the filter medias.

both have its nice points ^^ and i dont find my bichir or jars have any problems with pebbles... yet biggrin.gif

well i believe kristle has found what she was looking for so we can stop posting on this topic lol sorry tongue.gif

#26 2FasT-2FuriouS

2FasT-2FuriouS
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:03 AM

QUOTE (poipoi @ Apr 17 2008, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
why not go pebbles? i think it looks quite nice. i recently added pebs to my tank

wow nice tank mate...love the black background and the big plants biggrin.gif

#27 DR14GoNF14SH

DR14GoNF14SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:16 AM

"both have its nice points ^^ and i dont find my bichir or jars have any problems with pebbles... yet "

Yes, true... however, keeping substrate that is consitent or as close to a fishs natural biotype is always beneficial...

As for bichirs, they are always going to be happier in finer sand... large pebbles must be extremely uncomfortable to sit on all day, and smaller pebbles can be swallowed resulting in death...also, the bichirs like to bury their heads in the sand...hehe...

anyways...good to hear kristle has found what she is after....we can leave her alone! biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users