FREE: Anyone have fish to give away?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

#1 One2One

One2One
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:31 PM

Hi,

Just got given a small tank setup that was handed down to me from my brother who was moving house. Can't really afford any fish at the moment and it's a shame to let the tank sit in limbo.

Would love and appreciate any type of pleco or plants for the tank.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Guest_pleco4me_*

Guest_pleco4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:39 PM

Hi One2One,

sorry, i dont have anything to offer, but i think its a bit rude to join the forum and have your first post asking for fish (btw. plecos are pretty expensive and i dont think anyone will be willing to give one away for free.)

Dont want to sound mean, just though manners would be nice smile.gif

#3 One2One

One2One
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:47 PM

(pleco4me)
Hi One2One,

sorry, i dont have anything to offer, but i think its a bit rude to join the forum and have your first post asking for fish (btw. plecos are pretty expensive and i dont think anyone will be willing to give one away for free.)

Dont want to sound mean, just though manners would be nice smile.gif

Fair enough, just thought that was why these classifieds were here. I don't know what else to post as I have no fish or any idea where to start.

#4 Cicolid

Cicolid
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:08 PM

You could start by telling us what size tank you have.
As this may limit your choice.
Then what type of fish you are after.
Cold water, tropicals eg planted tanks with soft water, Malawi or Tanganyikan Cichlids ?

But first of all I suggest you do heaps of reading to answer the above questions .

There are so many really good sites on the 'net.

If you like I will send you some links, let me know.

Cheers
Col

#5 nairda

nairda
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:10 PM

If anyone has anything free to give away, it would probably be unwanted tetras such as rummynose and neons. you can start there, some shops down in melbourne sell neon tetras for 1 dollar each. I am sure theres a good store all the way to the west in perth which would have neons.

I think though, save up a bit of money and buy a male and female kribensis pulcher. Join in on the cichlid forum and ask about/read about how to breed them. They are very easy to breed and if youre lucky you may end up with 20 or more lil kribensis swimming around your tank. The best price ive seen for kribensis juveniles are 4 dollars each. I got mine 3 for 5 dollars because my bro bought other dry goods from the guy. They are a great beginner cichlid and will tolerate pretty much any kind of water you throw at it as long as its been treated (they can even survive in brackish water).

Yes i do agree with that other guy, it is rude to post for free fish especially if you are new around these parts. But i know where you are coming from, i used to be like you myself =D.

#6 madasa

madasa
  • Banned

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:26 PM

Sorry but I disagree. Young bloke wants to start fish keeping and I think that is part of the reason we are here - to encourage this.

Let me know your tank size and I can help u out - be warned though, it will only be a few and ones that I either have too many of or dont weant and cant sell.

Welcome to the great passion that is fishkeeping.

Pete

#7 DR14GoNF14SH

DR14GoNF14SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:40 PM

1.im with the others on this one...

2.my main concern is, will my fish survive? do u know anything at all about fish keeping? last thing i want to do is give you a $30 pleco only to find that it is dead within a week...

3.you say u cant afford fish? but what about the $ involved in the care of the fish? i can g'tee that any fish u get will not cost as much as their future up-keep...

my honest advice... go buy a couple of baby oscars and start from there...when u actually pay for the fish yourself, i think u will appreciate it more and be less likely of neglecting it bcoz it cost u nothing and was free...

how old are you btw?

cheers mate...hope to see you on here in the future biggrin.gif

e. :wink:

#8 nairda

nairda
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:01 PM

most people like myself when theyre introduced to something new, they dont want to spend any or very little money. That is because theyre inexperienced and do not know much about that particular thing. Therefore if they stuff up it will be alright because it was free in the first place.

However you dont need to be scared of "stuffing up" or spending some money on your fish. Loss of fish is part of the learning process, and yes i wouldnt even want to keep a $30 pleco (even if it was free) if i was a noob at the hobby.

Its just a learning process..My first fish was 3 clown loaches and a flying fox that i got from my bro for free (and a couple of neon tetras). To this day, those 3 clown loaches measure up about 8cm-9cm (from 4 or 5) and the flying fox is about 9-10cm. The clown loaches now are currently combating whitespot but i think theyre going to survive just fine =].

I suggest the krib male and female because they are hardy fish, very beautiful colours, and when they breed you have more fish to either keep or sell.

PS- i wouldnt go about selling your kribs if you get any fry..most people would like well fry that are well looked after not just by noobs. Keep them and invest in a bigger tank! or sell them to a fish shop to save for a bigger tank..

PPS- how big is the tank?

#9 Iamsam

Iamsam
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:04 PM

1. i think your all being to harsh
2. the guy said he had a
small tank setup
so he cant
... go buy a couple of baby oscars and start from ther

3. if i had any fish i would give you some i think its good initiative and if your willing to learn why not??
4. sorry for entering this debate honestly this should have been closed a while ago

#10 keenas

keenas
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:15 PM

Pm me if your interested in coming over to talk about keeping fish. If you are on the right track, I can help with some fish that may be suitable for the tank you have.

#11 nairda

nairda
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:45 PM

its great to see a new budding enthusiast! If you lived in melbourne (or i in perth) and my kribs bred i would give you two or three myself.

Anyway looks like you have some great people who live around you who are willing to give you some new fish (not really new but u get my point) to get started. Good luck on it and try keeping some kribensis sometime! Theyre good starters fish.

EDIT: About some of the other people who think some of the above are being mean - i think they are just concerned for the fish's wellbeing. For example i agree with the guy about the 30dollar pleco. I wouldnt want to give one of my possible kribensis pairs to:

a) a new hobbyist who is most likely going to be cutting corners, neglect responsibility and just be plain cheap,

cool.gif Someone who if i visit in a week i will find my fish floating around at the top in a tank that hasnt been cleaned for months, has no filter and whose water hasnt even been dechlorinated.

Someone like this One2One is going to need friends who are well informed and know more than just a few things about fish and water chemistry. Anyway One2one good luck, i hope you take up this hobby! it will even help you with Years 11 and 12 chemistry if you decide to study it.

#12 Keddy

Keddy
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:17 PM

funny how everyone ASSUMES automatically this person is a novice!!

#13 nairda

nairda
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:01 PM

good point..nothing other than he is new to the forum tells us that hes new to fish keeping.

I think he is new though, or else he would have told us already.

#14 FishGal

FishGal
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:12 PM

(DR14GoNF14SH)
my honest advice... go buy a couple of baby oscars and start from there...

Unbelievable....for a start he said he has a small tank set up, so you're advising him to start with baby O's?? Baby O's become BIG adult O's really fast and so he would have to either be upgrading his tank real quick or his 'baby' O's would be living in pretty cruel conditions...but hey like most people think, they are just O's right?

You guys are unbelievable on here at times....so what if it's his 1st post or 101st post?? There is no harm in asking, whats the worst that he gets back...No, no biggie at least he asked and lost nothing.

Great way to introduce the guy to the forums guys!

#15 Guest_pleco4me_*

Guest_pleco4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:16 PM

FishGal,

I think that many people think its rude to join the forum and straight away ask for free plecos and other fish.

:roll: :wink:

#16 FishGal

FishGal
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:24 PM

Well thats your opinion and I have mine, each to their own. But as usual on this forum, if the "in" crowd have one opinion and someone disagrees with them, they tend to be shot down in flames simple as that.....

...no doubt this will be denied, which is fine, I expect it to be....but I am not the only one who thought that what One2One asked was fine, don't ask you never know.

#17 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:24 PM

You're always gonna get ppl seeing things from different perspectives and wot a perfect place to express that here.

Typically those who give and put in the effort will reap the rewards down the track - it's called karma smile.gif

Dazza

#18 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:25 PM

(One2One)
Hi,

Just got given a small tank setup that was handed down to me from my brother who was moving house. Can't really afford any fish at the moment and it's a shame to let the tank sit in limbo.

Would love and appreciate any type of pleco or plants for the tank.

Thanks in advance.

Pitty we dont live closer together ! I would be glad to help out, i have many bits left over and have some nice fry or small cichlids you could have.
All the best with the new tank, please dont take every thing you read on here to serious over time you will lern to sift out the crap

cheers shane

#19 FishGal

FishGal
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:31 PM

(dazzabozza)
Typically those who give and put in the effort will reap the rewards down the track - it's called karma smile.gif
Dazza

I have given fish to other fish enthusiasts not that long ago, given away nearly new tanks that I have no use for....at the end of the day I would rather see them go to loving homes than sell them and make money for them if I have absolutely no use for them (the tanks) or the fish are getting bullied in my tanks etc....

If I had anything to give at the moment I would be more than happy to help out but unfortunately after recently cutting down myself I don't :cry:

#20 Woodsyau

Woodsyau
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:32 PM

Hope you get some fish soon mate then you will be addicted like the rest of us =)

But for everyone else, never get anything free without asking the question!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users