Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

Updated: Aquascape Discussion (Aquascape No. 3, Pg 2)

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 punie

punie
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 June 2005 - 09:47 AM

Hi Guys,

In an attempt to broaden our horizons, i'll be posting a scape from planted aquaria gurus all over the world for our discussion. Hope we can make this a weekly event and a sticky at it.

First off, to kick start it all, who better to do it than our beloved guru, Mr. Takashi Amano.

Anyone wanna kick start some comments? Hope we can evolve this into a good hearty discussion on scape and learn a thing or two y studying their works.

Cheers,
Jerome

#2 Brett

Brett
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 June 2005 - 01:07 PM

Nice idea Jerome,

Amano needs no introduction to anyone who has been researching planted tanks for a while.

Having seen his books and web-site I will make some general comments.

Firstly I think his photographs are awesome and most of his aquascapes are very beautiful. My artistic ability is very low biggrin.gif biggrin.gif , but even I can see the art in these aquascapes. I do tend to get bit lost with the wabi-sabi stuff though ohmy.gif

A couple of things struck me when reading the books. Firstly was the lack of information about setting up the tanks, More of a picture book than a how to guide.

Second was how soft the water was, kH 2-3 for most tanks.

Thirdly how much maintenance was involved to keep the aquascapes looking good :x

I do love them though

Cheers
Brett

Might as well start at the top biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#3 Kimbo

Kimbo
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 June 2005 - 01:14 PM

that tank looks awesome, what is the plant on the floor in that tank?

#4 vishy_100

vishy_100
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 June 2005 - 01:55 PM

That tank is amazing yet so simply, apparently it is actually 1800mmW x 1600mmD x900mmH 2590 liter's. You can see he's also worked hairgrass and a crypt(i think what type?) into the back corner and of course the wood is placed off centre and just away from the corner. Gotta love it!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif He is a real artist.
Matt

#5 Ilangi

Ilangi
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 18 June 2005 - 06:52 PM

I love the "openess" of this tank.

The lack of a mid-ground planted section draws the eye immediately to the masterfully placed bog-wood/java fern feature, which is complemented by the subtle background plants that prevent it from "sticking out like dog's balls on a cat"...

He definitely knows what he is doing. Most attempts at an aquascape with no mid-section would appear very unbalanced, but Amano's just feels "right"

#6 locus

locus
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 June 2005 - 07:12 PM

This tank is great for discus, I love the way they stand out amongst the green.

Plants in this tank (from what I can see):
Back, left - Cryptocoryne crispulata var. balansae
Middle, left - Eleocharis sp. (hairgrass)
Foreground/carpet - Glossostigma elatinoides
On the wood - Microsorum pteropus

Interesting to note that in such a large tank only a small selection of plant species are used - simplicity is the key here.

All of these plants are available in WA, so setting up a tank in this style is possible. Maintaining this aquascape would not be too hard, although the Glossostigma would need to be thinned out regularly.

On the subject of wabi-sabi - http://www.cs.wisc.e.../TWiki/WabiSabi

#7 Ilangi

Ilangi
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 18 June 2005 - 07:18 PM

... and the sister plants from the java fern would need constant removal :roll:

Other than that - a great sustainable set-up

P.S: This is a great idea Punie biggrin.gif

#8 ml29

ml29
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 18 June 2005 - 09:07 PM

This has to be my favourite from Amano's designs. Just amazing!!

I just wish I could gorw Glossostigma elatinoides like that or even get my hands on some. From what I have read it is a high light and high maintenance plant, otherwise it will grow tall. :?

#9 Graeme

Graeme
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2005 - 06:15 AM

I really like the sense of depth that amano gives this tank.It really seems to have no end. The deep greens on the left of centre really balance well with the light green of the glosso.And i hate to say it but the tank makes the discus look good...i dont like discus......

Graeme

#10 punie

punie
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 July 2005 - 06:42 PM

Any more discussions?
I'm gonna refresh the thread for a new scape or should we leave this for longer?
Can anyone stick this thread up as a sticky?

#11 Ilangi

Ilangi
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 05 July 2005 - 11:33 PM

Time for a new scape I think?

#12 punie

punie
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:23 AM

The Second Scape for discussion, also from Mr. Amano (Last one before we change for variety), and possibly one of my favourites from him by far.

Photo courtesy of ADA Euro.

Anyone wanna kick start some comments? Hope we can evolve this into a good hearty discussion on scape and learn a thing or two by studying their works.

Cheers,
Jerome

#13 ml29

ml29
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:56 PM

Very interesting composition, the design is very central and almost symmetrical. It almost goes against his normal style, you know the golden triange and the 1:1.618 ratios he writes about.

#14 Brett

Brett
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 July 2005 - 05:37 PM

I love the photography, the use of reflections from the sides of the aquarium and surface of the water is very nice. Presentation, as always, is excellent.

As for the aquascape, I am not so impressed. For me it appears to busy in the middle and lacks some of the simplicity that I love in Amano's work. I also think it is too symmetrical, although this is obviously the intention of the aquascape. Perhaps, like many of the larger tanks, the true impression is lost by shrinking it down into a small picture.

Brett

#15 punie

punie
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 July 2005 - 11:19 AM

I guess you're right about the shrinking of pictures Brett.
Thanks for sticking this up for us.

The reason why i like this tank so much stems from the very fact that it betrays all rules and ratios and yet is able to recreate such depth of field (no pun intended).

If you look at the Blyxa Japonica (the plant smack in the middle of the foreground), and have experience with that plant, you'd know it's not a very big plant. For it to appear so big, the tank must be only 4 - 5ft tops.

The lines drawn by the driftwood staggered and jutting out draw much attention to the middle of the scape. My eyes were immediately drawn to the base of the lotus plant, via the driftwood and following the stem of the lotus leaves.

It is this effect that leads me to believe that the tank appears much bigger than it really is.

Also. Remove the lotus and it becomes the typical amano scape. Pretty Boring after awhile. It's a new aspect seeing that a messy plant like lotus can be incorporated within such a scape.

I've never found a place in aquascapes for Lotus, apart from low growing thick bushes. I prefer my lotus to be up at the surface, thats what lotus and lillies are all about, surface leaves. This scape just proved me wrong that it is possible to scape that style.

I think this discussion is getting along fine and i do encourage more to post their views, you don't have to be an aquascaper to appreciate such beauty. Go on, have a shot!

NB: Anyone got any other scapes which you wish to show/discuss, please do inform me and i'll schedule it next.

Cheers,
Jerome

#16 Graeme

Graeme
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:00 PM

Hi All,

Firstly i agree with Brett, a small pic does this tank no justice.
I like tho phography in this tank, the shimmer across the water surface adds to the overall look.
the tank seems too balanced to me, but if i take out 1/2 of the tank, it looks better( one side not top or bottom biggrin.gif biggrin.gif )

Funny how i can find faults and yet would be so proud of this tank!!!

Graeme

#17 Ilangi

Ilangi
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:13 AM

I think it's time for a "dutch" aquascape:

I found this gorgeous tank while searching for pictures of Apistogramma cacatuoides

It is from this website

#18 punie

punie
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:23 AM

1 More photo of it here:

http://www.aquabotan...utchsecrets.htm

#19 locus

locus
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 July 2005 - 10:46 AM

Not a big fan of the dutch style, I prefer tanks with better use of negative space and more of a play between foreground/background... these tanks just look "flat" to me.

#20 Graeme

Graeme
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:56 AM

I didnt really understand the difference between a dutch style and what we call nature aquariums.But after this forumn discussions its starting to make sense.I do understand that the Dutch style is more a garden, ie planted as if it was our own home gardens?
Anyway i can say i like all the plants grwoing in this tank, but it looks too crowded.Not enough open space.Thats my 1c worth

Graeme

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users