Shrimp

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SoulsCollective

SoulsCollective
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:10 PM

Evening folks,

My wife and I have decided we would like to branch out into invertebrates and add a small colony of native freshwater shrimp to our community planted tank (450L, 1.6m). Current occupants are tetras, dwarf gouramis, clown loaches and a breeding colony of bristlenoses of indeterminate number.

We are, however, having an enormous amount of difficulty in finding any of the blighters. 

After doing some initial research we settled on some Darwin Algae shrimp, and purchased ten from Second Nature Aquariums after being unable to find any Perth shops offering them. They were shipped promptly and arrived in Perth this morning...only to be swiftly seized by Fisheries and destroyed, as they had been shipped from Queensland. Neither the seller nor I were aware of the continuing white-spot related ban (and according to the very understanding Fisheries chap, several other boxes of shrimp bound for Perth customers were also seized and destroyed from the same order). Unfortunately, all of the online aquarium shops that I can find seem to be based in Queensland or north NSW, and hence would also be covered by the same import ban, and I still can't find any local shops with stock.

I have come across a few listings for shrimp of various kinds on Gumtree, but these seem to be only Cherry Shrimp of various colours (mostly red), and I'm really not keen on going down this path for several reasons, not least questionable legality.

Can anyone offer any advice in sourcing the Darwin shrimp? Or, failing that, a native that will go nicely in our very placid tank, not muck with the bristlenose eggs or fry, and earn its keep on the algae front? We're located NOR in Scarborough, if relevant.
Thanks for any advice!

#2 chocky

chocky
  • Photo Comp Official

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:34 AM

I "think" shrimps that are already here are legal as long as keepers are not breeding in commercial quantities and not releasing them in to public water ways.

Some one else may have to confirm or deny this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:34 AM

Aquagreen in NT?
Ninja shrimp are readily available but they're small and pretty cool.

#4 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:33 AM

I too would recommend aqua green

#5 SoulsCollective

SoulsCollective
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:10 AM

Aquagreen in NT?
Ninja shrimp are readily available but they're small and pretty cool.

I too would recommend aqua green

Thanks folks - did not come across them - I'll get in touch. Appreciate the pointer!

#6 jakefoster

jakefoster
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:11 AM

shrimp will get eaten in your tank. the only true shrimp safe fish are otto's.

#7 SoulsCollective

SoulsCollective
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:33 AM

shrimp will get eaten in your tank. the only true shrimp safe fish are otto's.

Thanks for the input - I've heard very conflicting things on this.

I very much doubt the tetras are anywhere near large enough to do damage (Cardinals and Rummynose), so we're pretty comfortable with them. The gouramis are slightly larger, but not much, and from what I've seen of their behaviour are far more interested blowing bubbles and squabbling over prime leaf spots near the top of the tank than in bothering anyone else.

The clown loach will be the danger, I do understand, but I've heard conflicting reports about their suitability. Ours has never seen a shrimp in its life, and a friend has kept loaches and the Red Cherries together before with no issues , so we're hoping that run of good luck continues. Bottom of tank has several large pieces of rock with multiple cavities, crevices etc that the loach is too large to get into, so in theory the shrimp will have suitable habitat, but this is the first time we'll have tried with invertebrates, so we're trying to start very small and see how things go.

#8 SoulsCollective

SoulsCollective
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 December 2017 - 06:28 PM

In case it is of assistance to anyone else - can confirm Dave and Robyn from Aquagreen were able to supply the shrimp to Perth, which customs was quite happy with, and that the 20 or so we ordered have taken to our tank quite happily and remain unmolested by the loaches. They do an excellent job keeping the hygro and anubias leaves clean (ottos and bristlenoses just drop off), and also break down the enormous strings of poop the bristlenoses like to leave all over the gravel. Very happy so far.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Shrimp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users