Pcs Exhibition/openday?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Perth

Chris Perth
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:12 AM

should be PCS making cichlids great again   :lol:

Once upon a time we (PCS) used to have a weekend exhibition/open day type of thing - there was a venue in Freo (Cliffe St I think) that members would set up small to medium display tanks of their fish for the public to see - while they were a bit of work for members to set up, it was a great way to introduce Cichlids (and Catfish) to the public and encourage new hobbyists. I am a bit hazy here but I also recall that a number of shop sponsors also set up displays and had a few items for sale. Maybe Terry and a few of the long time members may recall these days and add to the conversation. Also the committee and members may wish to re-visit this idea at a future meeting after the auction of course.

#2 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:12 AM

The only thing Freo is known for nowadays is Notre Dame Uni students, Anti-Roe 8 hippie protesters, and homeless people. Oh and coffee shops which are vegan friendly.

The exhibition day sounds cool. Are there any old PCS newsletters with an article on it?

Edited by Jason82, 18 January 2017 - 08:41 AM.

#3 Chris Perth

Chris Perth
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:08 AM

Further to the above - as the memories slowly return, Freo was not the only venue that was used - I seem to recall that we also used the Cannington Grayhound facility in conjunction with the Koi and native fish groups and also the facilities at the Zoo - though that might have only been for the Ad Konnigs visit in 2009.

#4 Hood

Hood
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:25 AM

I remember these exhibitions as a young fella. A mate and I would trek 3 busses and a train to get down to Freo to check it out. :)

sent from Huawei P9 using tapatalk app.

#5 Hood

Hood
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:40 AM

...in fact back when ###### (<-- ha, the forum that obviously shall not be mentioned, is still a blocked word here even though it no longer exists.) was around we had a bunch of swap meet/exhibition days up here in the north, usually at school auditoriums or community centers. We'd setup small tanks with fry for sale, or those guys with oxy would have them all bagged up.
Sell ornamental wood, catfish caves, new tanks etc. etc. always a huge turnout which was good exposure for the hobby and some bargains were had as well. I still miss those days, they were a lot of fun with a great community vibe.
I also always wondered why we never had cichlid/fish shows here like they do in other countries, where people exhibit their best males or colonies etc. etc. All these ideas could be combined into one big day, which could be massively beneficial to the hobby here.

Edited by Hood, 18 January 2017 - 10:11 AM.

#6 Terry

Terry

Life Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:09 AM

The exhibition in 1994 was my first contact with the PCS the following year I joined in with an Apistogramma display. There were different categories with prizes awarded for best tanks. Set up was on a Friday and breakdown on Sunday after 4 pm. It always amazed me how quickly a hall full of aquariums could be emptied. I don't recall shops doing displays at Freo but they did at the Ad Konings Convention in Feb 1999. Ad comments on his trip to Aus here, http://www.cichlidae...icle.php?id=142

I think a one day event  with a display and a swap meet would be great for the PCS, I won't be joining in with a display but a show of hands here would give the Committee an idea if it would be viable.

Cheers Terry

#7 Chris Perth

Chris Perth
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:58 AM

Its called CRAFT - and yes Terry you are absolutely correct, it was 1999 not 2009 (its like putting the decimal point in the wrong place) - I still have a couple of his signed books to prove it Lol

Though I am in Bunbury I would be able to come up and man a membership/information stand etc, could possibly manage a small display tank.

#8 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:32 AM

Great to see some old friendly face in that article. Many years dealing with Hienz and Norm. Two great people that are missed in the hobby.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users