Photo

Gibbiceps?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Mazimbwe

Mazimbwe
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 August 2003 - 07:34 PM

Thanx to the auction, last night, I am now the proud owner of a couple of these great looking Catties.

My question/s are:
are these guys going to be OK with my B/N cats, who spawn in my main tank?

What is their growth rate like?

I am currently giving them Zuchini and Butter-nut Pumkin. In your collective opinion, what is the best veggie supplement to give them?

#2 cichlids rock

cichlids rock
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 August 2003 - 11:29 PM

They will be fine with your bristlenose. As long as they are too big to fit in the Bn spawning site then they will not interfere with their breeding. As for there growth rate! I have kept probably 10 gibbiceps in about 1 year. I can get them from a tiny skinny 5cm fry, to a nice bulky fish about 12cm long in 6 weeks, no joke. I feed mine everything that you feed cichlids, as well as algae/spirulina wafers, and raw zucchinni with skin still attached. Mine do not seem to like pumpkin much, but it is apparently good for them. There is also a 'red' gibbiceps in Australia but I havn't seen one myself. They would look nice!

#3 Mazimbwe

Mazimbwe
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 August 2003 - 11:50 PM

Thanx for that quick reply CR.

I agree the red Gibbiceps would look great and I've heard that pumkin will help increase red colours.

#4 Guest_Alan Caboolture_*

Guest_Alan Caboolture_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2003 - 04:52 AM

Your gibbies will eat just about everything with a few added veggies. I use kent (or Jap) pumpkin, depends where you live what they are called, skin and all goes in.

There is a "Gold spot Gibbie" Glyptoperichthys joselimaianus, sort of a negative immage of the Gibbie, light spots on a dark background. I have never heard of a Red or orange Gibbie.

There is an Orange spot Bristlenose tho, Ancistrus leucosticta , L110 if you got the "L" numbers. Around the same price as peppermints or a bit more, but like peppermints, not easy to come by.

:cheers

Alan

#5 00 Electric 00

00 Electric 00
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 August 2003 - 05:03 AM

Mazimbwe

Your gibbiceps looked nice good luck with them. I would believe they are just like b/nose except bigger :good so they should eat the same food. :mb

#6 wazzablunt

wazzablunt
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 August 2003 - 10:28 PM

Sorry about the silly questions guys but:

Are Gibbiceps the same as Sailfin Pleco's?

And also how much would a Gibbicep sell for in the shops?

wazza
wwblunt@tpg.com.au
Wahroonga, NSW

#7 mtchye

mtchye
  • Validating

Posted 07 August 2003 - 10:35 PM

Congrats on the purchase Ari.. :)

Gibbiceps are often referred to as sailfin plecos, yes. They would normally sell for between 65-150 in a store.. more for decent sized specimens.

They will eat almost anything really... zuchinni with the skin on is a favourite..

Visit the:
Perth Cichlid Society Forums

#8 Mazimbwe

Mazimbwe
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 August 2003 - 06:03 AM

Thanx every1 for the great feed-back. I am really happy with the Gibbies and think the Sail-fin looks very spectacular. As they out-grow the hiding spots I should see more and more of them.
I plan to eventually cut the pair down to one and will be sure to let you all know here...just in case anyone is interested:good

Thanx again!!:cheers

#9 wazzablunt

wazzablunt
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 August 2003 - 11:28 PM

Also, how bigger tank would i need to house one of these? and how big do they get?

wazza
wwblunt@tpg.com.au
Wahroonga, NSW

#10 Guest_Alan Caboolture_*

Guest_Alan Caboolture_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2003 - 03:52 AM

G'Day Wazza,

Gibbies, oops, as mod I shouldn't be calling them that or even (Sail fin pleco), but Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps, are pretty wide spread in Peru and Brazil. They are most comfortable at temps between 22 and 28C. They are very tollerant about water pH 6.5 to 7.8 and thus a wide range of hardness. They are reported to reach 18" or 45cm TL (Don't count the tail). But mine have never got that big, thought my G joselimiainus which are only reported to reach 20cm or 8" have out grown the Gibbies in the same size accomodation.

Mine are in 5'x2'x2' tanks

:cheers

Alan

#11 wazzablunt

wazzablunt
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 August 2003 - 04:20 AM

Thanks for that Alan, why aren't you allowed to call them Gibbies or Sail Fins as a mod?

wazza
wwblunt@tpg.com.au
Wahroonga, NSW

#12 Mazimbwe

Mazimbwe
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 August 2003 - 08:20 PM

I think as a Mod, he is supposed to set an example.
Common/trade names is quite a hard way to keep track of what fish you are actually talking about.

e.g.: Sunshine Peacock(not a Cat or Loach, I know).
Try looking for a Sunshine Peacock and see how many scientific names appear in your search engine. Or check a good publication from Ad Konings that lists trade names and see how many times the same Trade name is used for different fish.

#13 Mazimbwe

Mazimbwe
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 August 2003 - 12:23 AM

I am finally starting to get a good look at The Gibbies, they must be starting to feel a bit more at home.

They are very attractive looking fish, great colour and dots on really nice fins.
They move at a much more relaxed pace than that of the B/N's

Any1 thinking they have the room for one will not be sorry if they take the time to find a good specimen...they look great.

#14 oF1o

oF1o
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 August 2003 - 07:56 PM

Are gibbiceps not too hard to breed. if so what size tank recommended?

thanks

#15 Th0mas

Th0mas
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 August 2003 - 10:04 PM

Hate to disappoint you but you'll need a pond with mud bottom to breed them.

Thomas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users