Worm Discus Cardinal Tetra

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:57 PM

Type of fish: 2x Discus, Cardinal Tetra
Symptoms: I am having the same issue as usual and today to top it off I noticed a white worm on the side of body of a Cardinal Tetra and wonder if it is the same thing?

Basically one of my Discus has stopped eating and is wasting away, pretty sure he's too far gone I will probably have to euthanase him, I also have another that I have been monitoring that appears to be skinny in the forehead but that still seems quite lively, he's been on/off again struggling to grow, eat and his colouring changes regularly.

To be honest this has been my one issue with my tank, a Discus stops eating and dies. It happens about once every 6 months. I have tried to treat with Para-gon but doesn't seem to work, it certainly has worked at killing BNs and some L144s I had so after that to stop using it.

What I would like to know is what I have, a definitive answer, so I can clear it, make sure all the fish are healthy and then I can get more Discus. Photos to come (when they stop hiding).

Other tank mates: Neon Tetra, Rummy-Nose Tetras, Cory Doras, Bristlenose Catfish
Tank size / capacity: 280L
Type of Food fed: Frozen Discus Food, Bloodworms
Feeding frequency/amount: Daily, 3x Frozen block on Discus Food, 1x Block of Bloodworms
Substrate: Black Sand 1-3mm
Type of filtration: Cannister Ehiem 2217
Frequency of filter cleans: 3 Months
Frequency and % volume of water changes: Weekly 40-50%
Last water change: Yesterday 20/1/2014
PH: 6.4 to 6.6ph
KH:
GH:
Nitrite:
0.05ppm
Nitrate:
Ammonia:
0 - 0.25ppm
Phosphate:
Water temp:
30 Degrees
Medications used recently to date: 2 Months ago I have been using Para-gon but it seemed to not work and killed all my L144 (I think) so i stopped using it
Any recent changes..new fish/filters/power outages etc etc:3 Neons and a BN all looking a little neglected from my brothers MTW (shrimp) tank that he decommissioned. Probably got the worms from here?

Neon Tetra

post-7085-0-61426900-1390315877.jpg

post-7085-0-23659200-1390315880.jpg

Found a photo of the Discus I took late October (2013), this is the early symptoms and he will have to the euthanased now, they other sick Discus is just starting to look like this now.

post-7085-0-70408200-1390316113.jpg

post-7085-0-49280700-1390316126.jpg

Attached Files

Edited by MrLeifBeaver, 21 January 2014 - 11:03 PM.

#2 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

Thanks for the PMs Buccal and Livingfish.

#3 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:59 AM

The White "worm" is just Dermosporidia or Dermocystidium.... cant remember the correct name right now..... leave it and it will go away in a few weeks - if you google it, you will find more posts that I have put up regarding it.

for the discus, you will need to treat it with something to eradicate flagellates - earlier the better.

See me if you need something.....

#4 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:11 PM

Thanks Mr Doc!

have you got any KUSURI WORMER PLUS 20 GRAMS. That was one recommendation.

#5 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:19 PM

We have an all wormer and an anti flaggelate - Id recommend both.

#6 Angelo

Angelo
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:42 PM

def do the kusuri wormer plus treatment. just a couple of recommendations. get some extra filtration in your tank. a sponge filter would be ideal. also if you could do at least 20% wc every second day rather than do a large change once a week. and finally i would suggest cleaning your canister once a month (i've had criticism for this suggestion in the past ) but i've been doing this for nearly 4 years with my discus and never had a single loss. try these suggestions and you will see the difference. good luck.

#7 living1978

living1978
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:03 AM

HI mate,

I have kusuri 20g dewormer plus

#8 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:57 AM

Yup. I will pop on by today, then I will make a stop at Docfish too for some other stuff.

I assume Docfish is from Aquatics?

#9 slink

slink
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:55 PM

Yes he is from aquotix

Is your tank fully established? only reason I ask is why do you have ammonia and nitrite readings but no nitrate? 

#10 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

Yes he is from aquotix

Is your tank fully established? only reason I ask is why do you have ammonia and nitrite readings but no nitrate? 

Yes, my tank is about 4 years old now. However my readings were low because I had just done a WC before the readings... and also I forgot to put the Nitrate reading in.

#11 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:35 PM

Hows he going Leif?

#12 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:08 PM

Hows he going Leif?

I had both Buccal and Livingfish PM me about the the Kusuri De-Wormer, so I got the meds on friday and proceeded to do a 4 day treatment.

Basically on friday, I added the Kusuri Dewormer to the tank, then for 4 days, I have fed them the special Beefheart-med mixture.

1) The Penang Rupture colour appears to have come back, but I will watch him tonight to see how hes eating (his normal food).

2) The Discus (in the photo), he's still alive, I am monitoring him closely as I haven't euthanased just yet. I have deciced that if he starts to 'list' I will do that.

3) The worm on the Neon appears to have gone as MrDocfish said it would - I still need to pop on into MrDocfish and check his med range for a couple other things too.

So, so far so good. Will keep you updated.

#13 slink

slink
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:52 PM

Yes, my tank is about 4 years old now. However my readings were low because I had just done a WC before the readings... and also I forgot to put the Nitrate reading in.

Still doesn't explain why you have ammonia and nitrite reading

#14 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

Yeah I can understand a tiny ammo reading if tap water has it present but I wouldnt expect to get a positive on nitrites.

#15 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:35 PM

Still doesn't explain why you have ammonia and nitrite reading

Hmmm I think I need better testing kits, you can't tell the colour dif between 0.00ppm and 0.25ppm on the ammonia.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Worm, Discus, Cardinal Tetra

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users