Sump canister discus filtration pump

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Michaeal-959

Michaeal-959
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:26 PM

Hey guys,
So not sure if this is a good idea or bad. I think that it's amazing but not sure if it will work.

What if instead of using a normal return sump pump power head design you used a canister. I have built my sump which has worked nicely but due to restrictions of the cabinet it isn't that big and I plan on getting a canister for extra filtration. Doing this for discus btw. So I have been looking at return pumps and they are about $130 roughly but what if I just bought a canister and put the pickup in the sump and the outlet in the tank? I drew a quick design. Please help and give constructive advice.

Thank you
Michael

#2 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:49 PM

With a pump you get way more flow. Sumps dont need to be massive to provide great biofiltration. Of more importance than size is how well the sump is designed.
sure what you are suggesting will work but I dont think it will be very efficient... clean water will be flowing through the cannister so why have it tacked on?
If you want to run a cannister I would run it separately so that if you have a mechanical failure you have a second filter keeping things reasonably good.

#3 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:17 PM

The canister needs to be gravity fed, the head pump is for pushing the water back up to the tank.

#4 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:04 AM

as the groper said most cannisters have small wattage motors that rely on the weight of the water above cannister height to help push water from filter back to tank height... so a small pump can move large volumes of water... making it very efficient ... as you dont lose volume of water pumped to raised head height....

#5 Michaeal-959

Michaeal-959
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:39 PM

Makes perfect sense. I guess it is rather pointless also :/ was just a though though. Any recommendations on good sump pumps? Was thinking of buys a compact eheim one

#6 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:25 AM

Any brand name pond pump should serve you well.

#7 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:48 AM

bigger the better , the longer the wetter... ooops thats something else....

but yes bigger pump is worth while as the higher it has to pump the less flow you get... so check what the pump pumps at your tank height (top of tank) :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sump, canister, discus, filtration, pump

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users