Best Place To Get Discus

Discus

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Michaeal-959

Michaeal-959
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:20 PM

Where abouts is the best place to buy discus from preferably north of the river? Looking for smaller ones if that's recommended?

#2 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:02 AM

Not north of the river but aquotix almost always have beautiful discus

#3 tunagirll

tunagirll
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:06 PM

Second aquotix, picked up 4 young discus from there yesterday in excellent condition, kept in tap water at 25 C, and they were eating within 12 hours of going into their new tank.

#4 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

I know you said north of the river.............. BUT.......... as has been mentioned Aquotix Canning Vale always have nice Discus for sale.

So does Pet Magic in Bibra Lake

I thought I would also mention that I was picking up some stuff from a fellow PCS member near Freo yesterday afternoon and took the opportunity to pop in to Vebas as it was just down the road. I saw some HUGE Discus for $180 a pop. If I could afford it I would have purchased the lot, as they are really big and the variety I liked best (Blue Turqs and Blue Diamonds). I've always liked Discus Fish, but these guys were something else. Worth a look if you don't mind going for a drive. 

And when you say get smaller ones if recommended, do you have a large tank already cycled? If so, I would go for large discus, and get as many as you can afford/fit. Little ones are a lot cheaper for a couple of good reasons. Copious feeds and water changes? No thanks!

#5 fuggers

fuggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:32 PM

+1 for vebas if u want cheaper young fish

#6 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:21 AM

Holmzy got some crackers from Morley

#7 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:26 PM

Where abouts is the best place to buy discus from preferably north of the river? Looking for smaller ones if that's recommended?

Hello Michael, If you're trying to get Discus smaller, to get them a little cheaper, I have found the cheapest you can find is around $70ea for a Discus.

Discus Breeders won't sell them under a certain size because they have not coloured enough to show their true potential, so they gorw them to 3-4".

Sorry, no idea about where to get them NOR.

#8 Michaeal-959

Michaeal-959
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:21 PM

I was told once to get smaller ones for some reason I can't remember. Any advice on that? Fresh tank it's only got Ottos and a few cardinals. Tanks around 6.6ph

#9 deliriouz

deliriouz
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:16 AM

Angelo in Como sells quality ones from his home garage. You'll find his ad on Gumtree. Discus are more finicky to keep alive if you get them under 6cm but obviously cost of purchase comes into it when you buy them larger. Vebas is the cheapest I've seen for small discus at 35-45 each. People recommend to get them small and to get at least six to allow them to pair off if you intend to breed them.

Edited by deliriouz, 25 July 2014 - 07:18 AM.

#10 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:46 PM

^ don't you mean Living?

#11 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:03 AM

Vebas is the cheapest I've seen for small discus at 35-45 each.

Yes I've seen these guys, they look ok, I assume they are cheaper as they are not as 'pretty' as the others varieties.

#12 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:42 PM

I assume they are cheaper as they are not as 'pretty' as the others varieties.

Can you please elaborate on this? Do you mean peppering?

#13 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:26 PM

Few at robs aquariums for a good price

#14 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:10 PM

Can you please elaborate on this? Do you mean peppering?

Nah no peppering, but they are coloured in Browns and Dark Reds. Go to Vebas they might have some there.

#15 MattyB

MattyB
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:33 AM

You must be careful when buying discus, make sure you do your research, Discus don't need to be in a soft ph, they are fine in nearly any ph, I have seen them thrive in up to 8ph, not ideal for breeding (water too hard for eggs to hatch) but still good. I have checked out discus from most pet stores, mostly aquotix and vebas, and there not the best quality at all, severely stunned, I have seen maybe one or 2 of the bigger discus that looked decent at aquatix but that's about it, I wouldn't even touch the others (please do some research, you can tell from eye size and location, also body needs to be close to a perfect shape and don't let anyone tell you that bulldog discus are a great thing to have, they should not be breed and is a disgrace for Discus keepers) If you would like me to put up some pics of some slightly stunted discus so you know what to look out for let me know.

Sorry also from time to time bibra lake Pet magic get some good quality discus in but you got to get it quick.

If you do want to buy some top quality discus, best person to see ss carlos, yes he charges a arm and a leg but he always has top top quality discus and knows how to look after them, next thing would be to import yourself from over east, I know forest discus have done a few amazing shipments into Sydney lately with a insane variety including albino white butterflies

also the bigger the discus the easier to look after, if you go small small, as in 5cm keep in mind to keep them in good quality and to stop them from becoming stunted they need to be fed at least 5 times a day with daily waterchanges, bear minimum every second day

#16 tunagirll

tunagirll
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:44 AM

Shall we then just throw all stunted fish in the bin? Are we advocating that anything with flaws does not deserve to have a happy lfe.

#17 Stuey

Stuey
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:49 AM

To be fair the OP's stated he was looking to find the best quality discus. I'm don't agree with throwing them in the bin but i do agree with letting someone else buy them. 

#18 Leigh

Leigh
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:00 AM

Shall we then just throw all stunted fish in the bin? Are we advocating that anything with flaws does not deserve to have a happy lfe.

What thread are you reading? Certainly can't be the same one I am reading.

The advice I have read has detailed:

1. Where someone can find quality discus and

2. How to identify the best specimens for your own stock.

#19 MattyB

MattyB
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:09 AM

I didn't say that at all, nothing wrong with stunted discus, they just wont grow past 12-14cm. settle down lol
I have 1 or 2 stunted in with my 17-18cm discus cause there amazing.

#20 tunagirll

tunagirll
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:35 AM

Sorry guys if it comes off sounding a bit critical, shouldn't write when I haven't had a coffee yet.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Discus

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users