4 Foot Planted Tank Story

Discus plants discus co2 $$$$$

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Michaeal-959

Michaeal-959
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 October 2014 - 10:10 PM

So I thought I would just share my story :)
Beginning of the year I decided I wanted discus so I started with my research. Every different site says something different and it's all very misleading which had me in circles. I the. decided I wanted a planted discus tank. The thing I learnt is that discus need premium filtration so I though SUMP, so I got holes put in my tank and built a sump.
In the mean time I was saving for co2, lighting and substrate. Once I got all the pieces of the puzzle I set up my sump, co2 and everything. Had the tank running for about a month. Water was amazingly clear. Turned on my co2 and went and got plants. Plants were doing amazing until I got a few extras that introduced snails to my tank. Within a week my tank and the sump were full. While this was happening I had noticed I was going through lots of co2. Soon I figured that sumps and co2 go in opposite hands.
So out with the sump and in the the canister. In this time I also cut out the overflow box and dried all the dirt to try and get rid of the snails. I used the bottom hole for the cannister inlet and the top hole for overflow drip system.
Finally about 9 months later the tank is going well. I would like to thank you all ok here for giving me advice through my journey into discus. It took so long because I'm a year 12 student who works once a week and my parents like me to have independence however they do chip in lots. I have been given the best advice from Kane I think his name on here is Kane_27. Supplied me with great plants, fertilizer and amazing amounts of advice. If your looking for plants north of the river he is the guy in my opinion.
In the photo the plants are still quite small as I have been trimming and replanting lots to thicken them up. My vision is to have the right side full and the rest covered in the carpet.

The brass fitting inbetween my cannister and the co2 reactor is a one way valve that I plug my RO system into. I take the hose that is attached to the top hole from the once was overflow system and put it outside and connect the hose from the one way valve to the ro system and turn it on. The water slowly goes in and then trickles out. On the top hole that the hose is connected to I have a right angle fitting that is at the water level.

Thanks

Attached Files

#2 Michaeal-959

Michaeal-959
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 October 2014 - 10:15 PM

More photos

Attached Files

#3 dori

dori
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:02 PM

Looking good Michael, keep us updated

+1 for kane29, quality plants and very happy to help with any advice 

#4 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:15 AM

Looks awesome keep up the  great work :)

#5 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:23 PM

Nice wood mate. This tank should look amazing with a little more time and growth.

#6 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 November 2014 - 12:39 AM

I really like the work youve put into your plumbing, its going to save you so much maintainence and time in the long run. Whats the digital controller youve got down there?

#7 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 November 2014 - 02:28 AM

Such an awesome set up bro! Well done.

#8 Michaeal-959

Michaeal-959
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:06 PM

Getting there :)
Update

Attached Files

#9 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 November 2014 - 01:10 AM

Nice one mate, its definately getting there :)

sorry to repeat myself but whats the digital controller under the tank for? I like gadgets and things :)

#10 Michaeal-959

Michaeal-959
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:55 PM

It's a ph controller that helps avoid co2 spikes. Probe goes in tank to measure pH. Set pH to desire on controller. 6.5 in my case. Plug a solenoid into controller that turns off and on to put the co2 into the tank. This way I don't have to worry about timers being in sync turning co2 off at night and on an hour before lights....
Also sorrybI didn't see the question before

Anyone have any ideas about what I should do with the intake on the bottom left in the tank? A sucker fish got sucked up so I chucked that over it and now I'm over seeing that big ugly blue sponge

#11 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:38 PM

No dramas mate cheers for the reply :) Thats a top gadget! I'm always down with a bit of tech :)

The intake you could probably find a Hansen fitting that would suit, there's a few different bits you could find at Bunnings :)

#12 kane29

kane29

Plant King

• Forum Member

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:53 PM

Congrats mate! You have gone through the hard yards and have great results.

#13 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:41 PM

Was in burning today, there's a few bits that might suit in the retic section as well as the plumbing section :)

#14 Michaeal-959

Michaeal-959
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:29 PM

Thanks I'll have a look one day in the near future.
But of an update after a heavy trim. Also made some room on the right for some new plants to come.

Attached Files

#15 cpayne2336

cpayne2336
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:44 PM

Hi I am planning on doing the same set up as you, a planted tank then hopefully discus later. Well done looks really nice. Hopefully I can get my tank that way. Where in the northern suburbs was the guy you got your plants from?

#16 Michaeal-959

Michaeal-959
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:19 PM

Duncraig :) he commented above, his user name is Kane29. Give him a message and I'm sure he will try help you out.

Edited by Michaeal-959, 05 December 2014 - 10:21 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Discus, plants, discus, co2, $$$$$

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users