Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

HYBRID FISH - *DL WARNING*

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
149 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think it is ok to breed Hybrids for PERSONAL INTEREST (not for RESALE) (144 member(s) have cast votes)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 November 2007 - 08:48 AM

A big no no... in the world of fishing keep but regardless of what anyone says it has it's place amoungst us and some of the fish are pretty damn cool. Been able to get certrains you like about a couple of fish and combining them together kid of kills two birds with one stone...
Here is a few fish and what they are crossed with...

CICHLID HYBRIDS

Jaguar x Festae

king kong Parrot x Texas

Texas Cichlid x Vieja sp

king kong parrot x Synpilum

Jack Dempsy x texas

Red Devil x Convict

Red Devil x jaguar

thats prolly the best one si could find...

but i tell ya what makes me wanna start crossing some fish.... not for circulation of course but just for the ULTIMATE BIG CICHLID TANK!.... full of big angry COLOURFUL FISH!

#2 MONSTAF1SH

MONSTAF1SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:09 AM

Nice pics!
I think if its for your own personal collection i dont see why not.
:roll:

#3 Tucunare

Tucunare
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 November 2007 - 11:22 AM

yeah im a fan

#4 DR14GoNF14SH

DR14GoNF14SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 November 2007 - 12:36 PM

doesnt phase me... wouldnt mind a few of those fish pictured...especially that king kong x synpilum 8O niiiice!

#5 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:43 PM

the texas vieja and texas dempsy for me i would cash out hard for them.
i have read about a few more like dovii texas... and even a UMBEE x DOVII but couldnt find pictures...

#6 kuhni

kuhni
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 November 2007 - 06:04 PM

A few of them look quite nice, but the king kong parrot x Synpilum looks terrible lol, looks like it was involved in a lipstick accident.

#7 irsacae

irsacae
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:39 PM

You will all burn in hell

#8 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:46 PM

pretty sure i have done a few worse things than cross fish species so no doubt im already going to burn in hell :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

#9 Managuense

Managuense
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:52 PM

not a fan of hybrids but that Jack Dempsey x Texas is nice as to is the Jag x Festae

Great thread BTW

Cheers
Kyle

#10 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 November 2007 - 08:02 PM

Well when it comes down to it.... what makes a fish a GENUINE species?
Surely somewhere along the line two fishes have hybradised (spelling?) to create a new species and just because it was not witnessed by man.... and they cintinued to breed and reproduce ... they are not a hybrid?
Is there any evidence in a fishes genetic makeup that can PROVE it is a hybrid?
Some of these fish look amazing and although i am not condoning cross breeding fish because I DONT!!! Im just throwing around the idea.. consider the mighty mas best friend.... people love the temperment of a labradore and their compasionate friendly nature a bloody good dog and can be well trained.... but people like the wool coating of the poodle as it doesnt malt and doesnt affect people with respritory problems.
I spose you can consider crossing cichlids to be the same?
Although the Jaguar cichlid is a mighty fish and is in its own right an amazing fish.... it isnt the best fish to look at as far as colours go.... cross it with a texas... wham bam problem solved!

So it leeds me to the point of why is crossing fish so frowned apon?

I spose i think it is frowned apon because people who dont know what they are doing will flood the market with a WRONG identification.... and then the wrong identification is continued on the fresh is cros sbred again.. and again and so on and and so forth until we are selling texas cichlids with arms and legs. But what if reputable people doing this... Professional Cichlid Breeders.... crossing fish and SELLING THEM as a TEXAS x JAGUAR ... and the fish was raised as a TEXES x JAGUAR and bred with another blood line of TEXAS x JAGUAR...... Until they became commen enough to be Called a TEXAGUAR or something like that.. quite like the Labradoodle......

Just for food for thought...
as im sure this has crossed ALOT of cichlid keepers minds before

#11 Blackcats

Blackcats
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 11 November 2007 - 08:35 PM

Cichlids with arms and legs ...... 8O 8O 8O laugh.gif

#12 BiGz

BiGz
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:59 PM

Get a Dovii and you won't have to bother crossing fish :wink:

#13 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2007 - 05:34 PM

ahaha Bigz im workin on it mate ahaha!

#14 devilman

devilman
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:44 PM

haha yes im working on that one two, the other day i had fry swimming round a red devil female in one of my tanks, only problem was there was no other red devil in there, turns out it was my male cuban doing the deed

#15 MrKrissKross

MrKrissKross
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:20 PM

Give me a manaconda any day of the week! :twisted:

#16 MONSTAF1SH

MONSTAF1SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 November 2007 - 12:11 AM

(MrKrissKross)
Give me a manaconda any day of the week! :twisted:

Manaconda? Is that half man half anaconda? laugh.gif

#17 keleherr

keleherr
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:50 AM

there is a fish sp that originated from cross breeding but not sure xactly what one. ill look into it

#18 Sammi3Benny

Sammi3Benny
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:36 PM

QUOTE (Blakey @ Nov 11 2007, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well when it comes down to it.... what makes a fish a GENUINE species?
Surely somewhere along the line two fishes have hybradised (spelling?) to create a new species and just because it was not witnessed by man.... and they cintinued to breed and reproduce ... they are not a hybrid?
Is there any evidence in a fishes genetic makeup that can PROVE it is a hybrid?
Some of these fish look amazing and although i am not condoning cross breeding fish because I DONT!!! Im just throwing around the idea.. consider the mighty mas best friend.... people love the temperment of a labradore and their compasionate friendly nature a bloody good dog and can be well trained.... but people like the wool coating of the poodle as it doesnt malt and doesnt affect people with respritory problems.
I spose you can consider crossing cichlids to be the same?
Although the Jaguar cichlid is a mighty fish and is in its own right an amazing fish.... it isnt the best fish to look at as far as colours go.... cross it with a texas... wham bam problem solved!

So it leeds me to the point of why is crossing fish so frowned apon?

I spose i think it is frowned apon because people who dont know what they are doing will flood the market with a WRONG identification.... and then the wrong identification is continued on the fresh is cros sbred again.. and again and so on and and so forth until we are selling texas cichlids with arms and legs. But what if reputable people doing this... Professional Cichlid Breeders.... crossing fish and SELLING THEM as a TEXAS x JAGUAR ... and the fish was raised as a TEXES x JAGUAR and bred with another blood line of TEXAS x JAGUAR...... Until they became commen enough to be Called a TEXAGUAR or something like that.. quite like the Labradoodle......

Just for food for thought...
as im sure this has crossed ALOT of cichlid keepers minds before

What makes a species a "genuine" species, is if it occurs in the wild. Crossing species just seems like a waste of time to me, especially when they already occur in so many different shapes, sizes, colours IN THE WILD. There's no need to create any more species, there's plenty.
And what happens when we've destroyed their homes? All these fish we keep and breed for ourselves, if they're genuine species, could provide the savior of a dieing genus. Now THAT'S food for thought.

Cheers, Sammi.

#19 the pulpican man

the pulpican man
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2009 - 05:31 PM

eveyones forgetting flowerhorns biggrin.gif they are my favourite hybrid out of all of them..

#20 jslayz

jslayz
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:07 PM

I'm not a fan, I'm more into breeding with the goal to improve the species by partnering the best specimens I can find.

The species we find in nature are successful breeds as they are successful in the wild.
Do they cross breed in the wild, a little but nowhere like in the aquarium.

If people inject hybrids into the trade (there are greedy people around) I think it is bad as those hybrids may end up sold as purebreeds.
Probably accidently too.

If you do if for an experiment ok but surely you could be better spending those efforts!

Just my 2c

J

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users