Photo

Noobie Compatibility Check

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Scott'O'

Scott'O'
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:18 AM

Hello everyone. This is all new to me and I have a couple of questions regarding compatibility. I've just recently (6 days ago) acquired an aquarium second hand which also came with all live stock included. I had a massive day last Saturday picking it all up and getting it home and set up again. It's now in a fish in cycle but I've already mentioned this in another post. Talk about thrown in the deep end...haha.

Here is a list of what is in the tank (Aquareef 300);

1 x Clown Pleco (L168), 2 x Redline Torpedo's, 1 x Green Horseface, 1 x Ghost Knife, 2 x Firemouth Cichlid, 4 x Black & White Angels, 1x Jewel Cichlid, 1 x Peppermint Bristlenose cats, 3 x Goyder River Rainbows, 2 x Bosemans Rainbows, 5 x Painted Widow tetra's, 1 x Otocinclus, 3 x Heckelii Cichlids, 1 x corey cats

Questions,

1. Are there too many fish for this size tank?

2. Are they all compatible as to me it looks as though some are bulling? (Goyder River Rainbows look to be the aggressors)

3. I would like to add some yellow and blue color so was thinking of Gold Severum and Blue Rams. Are these ok and If I do this, (after cycling), which would I be better off selling to make this happen?

Cheers guys. 

#2 jjm66smokey

jjm66smokey
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:55 PM

AFAIK the AquaReef 300 is 300 litres (plus 50 litre sump) (which is 300/3.785 = about 80 gallons).

http://www.amazingam...a-reef-300.html

Generally the rule is 1 inch of fish per gallon of water

http://freshaquarium.../a/fishcalc.htm

According to http://www.howmanyfi...om/#page=page-1

you can have 67 inches of slender fish OR 40 inches of full-bodied fish... or a combination of the two.

Obviously, the more fish you have the better filtration you need!

And if the tank is heavily stocked - be cautious not to overfeed and don't forget regular water changes of 20% per week.

So measure your fish!

#3 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:58 PM

Yeah size is important factor. With that kind of stocking though I would tend more to 50% water changes otherwise nitrates build up.

Oh and no jokes about the, "Size matters" comment.

#4 Stormfyre

Stormfyre

Sausage enthusiast

• Admin

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:04 PM

I am no expert on stocking, but that aquarium seems a little small for that load. While the aquarium is 300ltrs, it is tall and narrow, rather than long and short in height.

Your selection is good and you have fish from all water levels, but a number are bottom dweller cichlids and may fight as there isn't much floor space.

AquaReef 300. 300 Litres. Aquarium = 52d x 102w x 73h cm.

#5 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:05 PM

If the firemouths are a pair, then expect them to be the bullies soon enough. The rest are pretty placid, really.

#6 Scott'O'

Scott'O'
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:29 PM

Thanks for all your comments and advise.

I plan on removing the canister filter once I'm confident the sump will handle it, not sure how long that will take???

I kinda figured it was a bit over stocked but that's what I had to deal with at the time, any suggestions as to which ones should go and would Gumtree be the best place to sell them?

Cheers.

#7 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:35 PM

If you got rid of the Horseface, heckelii, firemouths & Jewel you would have a pretty nice community tank.

#8 jjm66smokey

jjm66smokey
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:59 PM

If you want to sell them, I'd consider the next PCS auction...

Otherwise they'll sell on this forum! :)

1 x Clown Pleco (L168) - fairly rare and grows to 15cm - great to eat algae - I'd keep it!

2 x Redline Torpedo's - best of the barbs IMO, usu. grows to 11cm, great community fish

1 x Green Horseface - grows to about 25cm eventually - a bit too big?

1 x Ghost Knife - can get to 50cm - nice as a community fish when smaller;

2 x Firemouth Cichlid, potentially aggressive bull-dozers... sell before they become a problem?

4 x Black & White Angels - lovely community fish but can get very big eventually!

1x Jewel Cichlid - needs well fed or it can be a fin nipper, can grow to 15/20cm - often nice as a community fish when smaller

1 x Peppermint Bristlenose cats - lovely community fish,

3 x Goyder River Rainbow - lovely community fish,

2 x Bosemans Rainbows - lovely community fish,

5 x Painted Widow tetra's - lovely community fish,

1 x Otocinclus - lovely community fish,

3 x Heckelii Cichlids  - needs very good biologically-filtered water of low pH (around 6), grows up to about 25cm, can become agressive... not really a community fish compared to the others)

1 x corey cats - lovely community fish

:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users